um... any W5000 owners care to measure their head for me ?
Mar 29, 2008 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mnemonix

100+ Head-Fier
Reading about the fit issues... if they fit you well, what is your head size - circumference just above the ears (or wherever it's critical) ?

Also, I read later W5000 'headbands' might actually be smaller than early ones. Did anyone ever confirm this ?

Mar 29, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 8
There are two different headbands for the w5000. I'm not sure which one is smaller.
On one, the earcups touch at the bottom, on the other, the earcups do not touch.

Mar 29, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 8
I don't think it's the size of the head that matters, but more the shape. I have a big head so I thought the W5000 would fit my head like a glove right out of the box. Not even close. The problem is I have an oval shaped head, not a round one. If my head were more round, they would fit perfectly. I have read that folks with small heads have it the worst when it comes to the W5000 fit.

Do a search. There are a couple threads suggesting you bend the metal straps near the top to get a better fit. I did that and they fit very nice now.

Mar 29, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's the size of the head that matters, but more the shape. I have a big head so I thought the W5000 would fit my head like a glove right out of the box. Not even close. The problem is I have an oval shaped head, not a round one. If my head were more round, they would fit perfectly. I have read that folks with small heads have it the worst when it comes to the W5000 fit.

Do a search. There are a couple threads suggesting you bend the metal straps near the top to get a better fit. I did that and they fit very nice now.

I thought they would fit like a glove too, having a big head and all. Not even close. Two baseball caps previously owned I had to use the very last snap in the adjustment to accommodate this mellon. Maybe if I get elephantitis of the skull these things might sit flush on my head.

Experiment: Hold the W5000's in front of your face and flex them until you see the earpads parallel (as if they could actually sit flush on your head). Now hold them flexed and slowly bring them over your head. Notice you need about an inch more of skull on either side to accomodate these?

Little known secret: Audio Technica is completely staffed by 7'0" to 8'6" tall Engineers. Freaky.
Attachment 3377

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 8
My head is a little on the large side (hat size is 7 1/4 to 7 3/8), but quite narrow. When I look at eyeglass frames, the children's frames seem to fit my face better than the adults' frames do.

Like the others in this thread, the W5000s do not fit me well at all. They are just huge on my head, and even with a good deal of flexing, they are very loose. Rotating the pads around, I can get to a somewhat stable orientation, but it is not what I would call snug. I feel like a good sneeze will cause the headphones to fly off my head.

I also have a pair of W1000s, and those fit great right out of the box.

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 8
I have to wear 7 7/8" size cap to not get a headache after a while . . . so I have a fairly large size head.

W5000 fits well right out of the box for me, and my W5000s earcups touch on the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back