Ultrasone's Edition 7 $3105 headphones (56k warn.)
Mar 24, 2006 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Visigodo

100+ Head-Fier
This is what a $3105 headphone apparently looks like:

07-facts.jpg

Product page: http://www.edition7.com/html/page_07a.htm

I wonder how it sounds. Anyone has experienced these cans? Is this completely insane?

But hey, they say the pads are made from authentic "Ethiopian hair
sheep."
You know you can't enjoy your sound without pads made off the skin of some exotic, probably endangered species!

06-emotion.jpg

They also say this:

"The only headphones which use materials and production processes suitable for the most exclusive automobiles available."

Let me roll my eyes for now...

rolleyes.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Visigodo
This is what a $3105 headphone apparently looks like:

07-facts.jpg

Product page: http://www.edition7.com/html/page_07a.htm

I wonder how it sounds. Anyone has experienced these cans? Is this completely insane?

But hey, they say the pads are made from authentic "Ethiopian hair
sheep."
You know you can't enjoy your sound without pads made off the skin of some exotic, probably endangered species!

06-emotion.jpg

They also say this:

"The only headphones which use materials and production processes suitable for the most exclusive automobiles available."

Let me roll my eyes for now...

rolleyes.gif

So in summary:

Apparently sheep from Europe and North America do not have hair.

If a rich person's ass can sit on the leather, an audiophile can put his/her ears on it.

Aside from that, don't knock 'em till you try 'em. Though many have been disappointed by Ultrasone in the past, these could be the next L3000 or R10. Who knows?

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
1. Ultrasone needs to hire a native English speaker to work on their website and marketing copy.

2. Those look like $100 "DJ" phones.

1. VERY VERY true.

2. Yes, I think my HFi 550 look better myself, but they are extremely comfortable headphones. They have a bit of clamp at first, but not near the Sennheiser "vice" and it goes away and gets great very quickly.

I want to hear them myself, I actually think very highly of my HFi 550, and want to progress up the Ultrasone line.

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
1. Ultrasone needs to hire a native English speaker to work on their website and marketing copy.

2. Those look like $100 "DJ" phones.

LOL!!! You are so right:

1. This has to be my favorite line in their marketing copy: "PROLine takes care about yourself." Pure Engrish.

2. Indeed. That headphone looks like a pimped-out SONY's MDR-V150.

icon10.gif

----

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
these could be the next L3000 or R10. Who knows?

not quite.
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 23
Wmcmanus had a pair,brought it to 1 of the Grado meets,Had it recabled afterward.The L3000s & R10s have nothing to worry about
tongue.gif

I don't know if Wayne still has them,He can post his longterm impressions of the 7s.They where very underwhelming at the meet,but they where also pretty new.

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 23
Both pairs of Ultrasones that I've heard (Proline 2500 and Proline 750) were shocking. I found it hard to believe that they were produced by engineers who could hear... I guess they might be appealing if you like the sonic equivalent of getting punched in the balls and poked in the eye with a fork. FWIW I heard that the Proline 2500 inherited technology from the headphone mentioned in this thread, whatever that might mean.

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 23
Perhaps the new Bose, then? :p

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Perhaps the new Bose, then? :p

I don't think they're that bad... some headphone folks genuinely like them. The main thing they have in common with Bose is not being worth the price. I think Bose's real signature is the clever marketing / artfully worded descriptions of their products; Ultrasone falls TOTALLY flat here.

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
The main thing they have in common with Bose is not being worth the price.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. The fact that my friend has a pair of QuietComforts that are outdone by my KSC75s and SR-125s really bothers me.

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by stefancolson
Both pairs of Ultrasones that I've heard (Proline 2500 and Proline 750) were shocking. I found it hard to believe that they were produced by engineers who could hear... I guess they might be appealing if you like the sonic equivalent of getting punched in the balls and poked in the eye with a fork. FWIW I heard that the Proline 2500 inherited technology from the headphone mentioned in this thread, whatever that might mean.

FYI, the headphones you listened to were probably not burned in at all. The PROline 750 and 2500 both had titanium drivers which require at least 48 hours of burn in time and probably closer to 100 or more to really bring them to life. When I first got my Proline 750 I was not very happy, but after letting them burn in for about three days straight I was amazed at the difference. And now the sound better than anything else I've listened to. So keep in mind that the Ultrasone line is fairly new compared to say AKG, Beyer, Sennheiser. So there is not as much common knowledge about the headphones and their uses, needs, etc. as those other lines of headphones. And just because many people are still ignorant to the particulars of the line, that doesn't make them pieces of crap. So all I'm saying is reserve judgement until you've actaully listened to the headphones with someone who knows what their doing. I compared the Proline 750s head to head with my Grado SR125s last week... the 750s made the Grados look childish.

Mar 24, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by themick
FYI, the headphones you listened to were probably not burned in at all. The PROline 750 and 2500 both had titanium drivers which require at least 48 hours of burn in time and probably closer to 100 or more to really bring them to life. When I first got my Proline 750 I was not very happy, but after letting them burn in for about three days straight I was amazed at the difference. And now the sound better than anything else I've listened to. So keep in mind that the Ultrasone line is fairly new compared to say AKG, Beyer, Sennheiser. So there is not as much common knowledge about the headphones and their uses, needs, etc. as those other lines of headphones. And just because many people are still ignorant to the particulars of the line, that doesn't make them pieces of crap. So all I'm saying is reserve judgement until you've actaully listened to the headphones with someone who knows what their doing. I compared the Proline 750s head to head with my Grado SR125s last week... the 750s made the Grados look childish.

Finally, someone sensible and brave enough to voice their honest opinion and not join the "Ultrasones are crap" bandwagon. It makes me sick to think that this thread is going to turn into another Bose/Ultrasone-bashing thread. Just because you guys don't think like rich men do, which is to buy whatever is the rarest and most exclusive items in the world regardless of price, doesn't mean that these 'phones are bad. Not everyone is an audiophile you know...

The Edition 7 are probably not aimed at the audiophile crowd, but at the rich and couldn't-care-less-about-money crowd. Why else do you think it comes in the most aesthetically stunning package (at least they tried to do so)? On their website, NOWHERE does it mention how these headphones are the best-sounding in the world. The only reference to sound is how natural the sound is and some sort of surround sound. The rest is advertising for what materials they used, how exclusive it is, etc... This brings me to my conclusion: If you think the price is rediculous, you're probably not the type of person they aim to sell the headphones to. Please don't take this personally. I'm am merely stating the truth. If you're a rich audiophile, these are obviously not for you either. The W2002, L3k, R10 or Orpheus would probably beat the Edition 7 hands down. But for the minute percentage of the world who are super-rich and don't know their headphones, these are what they would get. Oh and if you're a rich and curious audiophile, I don't see why you wouldn't want to buy a pair to try!

Mar 24, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #15 of 23
As bozebuttons wrote, initial impressions of the "E7" were not very favorable. Do a search, particularly on the meet impressions forum, for a few posts.

Wmcmanus was the owner, and subsequently had Larry @Headphile recable them. That modification, plus further burn-in, reportedly improved things quite a bit, if not up to the expectation one would have of a $3k headphone. He has since sold them to a headphone enthusiast in Italy, I believe. No further impressions have been written around here since.

They were probably not given enough of a chance due to the initial impressions. It didn't help that their materials did not match up to similiarly priced high-end cans such as the Sony R10 woodies, or the A-T L3000 leatherhead. The stock cable is kinda cheezy looking. The color choice (light grey) of the leather pads & band pad was a bad one, as they get dirty looking very easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back