Ultrasones.....Anyone.....
Sep 5, 2006 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

vkvedam

Headphoneus Supremus
Well I have been watching all the threads all the time.
No one has ever made a comment on ultrasones.
I heard something like they are favorites among audiophiles.
Does anyone have Ultrasone's HFI-650? I am planning to go
for these from my HD280s. How about icans as well for the thing
on the go. Any recommendations or advices please....
I prefer Audio CDs to compressions.
Home: Audigy 2 NX - HD280 Pros
Mobile: Philips Nike MP3CD - Creative DD/DTS Decoder - HD280 Pros
(Dolby HP & Prologic II)

Sep 8, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 6
I have Proline 650 - which I think use the same drivers as HFI 650. To my tastes, it is superb can. Incidentally, their description on Headphone.com is very accurate; in fact, I have little to add except there is indeed something about "S-logic" thing. On very quiet volume sometimes I found mylself looking behind me for the sound so "beyond the head" it is; additionally, the tone of 650 doesn't change much with volume - big plus in my eyes - err. ears. The sound image is wide, and the instruments are clearly defined. The bass is reminiscent to that of large speakers: well defined, as if it appears from the separate woofer. Overall feel is "bassy" but not boomy, as in Sens 280 for example. Very comfortable - highly recommend.

Eugene

Sep 9, 2006 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 6
I have the HiFi 650 and I love the punchy bass quality of it. I also love how it's sealed so I can use it as my high end portable and not worry about disturbing others.

The downside is that it can sound a little harsh at times and for me, it is not a very comfortable headphone. It's not bad but compared to the AKG headphone I have, the comfort is not that great. In most cases, I prefer my other headphones though because they seem more smooth and better for long term listening. Probably my favorite aspect of the Ultrasone HiFi 650 is the high notes. It's pretty clean sounding with a nice forward clarity. Overall, it's a nice headphone but I'll probably mostly use it as my portable since it does a nice job of keeping out moderate enviromental noise.

Sep 9, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 6
I've had the hfi-550s for a few months. I only break them out on special occasions when i want decent isolation but more bass than my shure e4c's. IMO they're extremely uncomfortable compared to my senn hd555s, which are my main can. They seem to press extremely hard on your head, gives me a headache after about 30 minutes of listening.

Sound quality is great, and the 550s are easily driven by ipods/mp3 players, but really shine when amped as well.

Sep 9, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 6
HFI-650s are too heavy, which made me end up selling them. But if you talk about sound quality, they are great. By the way, the CD coming with them is a well recorded CD. I enjoyed a lot listening to them with trackmasters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back