Ultrasone Zino vs. Ultrasone iCans vs. Nuforce UF30 ... and I am NOT amused!
Sep 26, 2009 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

captian73

Headphoneus Supremus
So I got my Zino's and Nuforce headphones. I have to say that at first a spat quite a bit of bile at the Nuforce, and for the most part it seems to be unjustified.

In brief, the Zino's I don't think the Zino's are much of a replacement for the iCans which are now available from amazon.com for under $40. The sound is deeper, but more veiled than the iCans, so that's answers my question of; serious newbie, or rehashed leftovers, and in the case of the Zino's, it's slightly rehashed leftovers!

The Zino's I have are more weighty, but I put that down to the mod that I've done on the iCans which does affect the bass. But in every other respect, the Zino's are no different ... and they're $50 more expensive.

(lets take them off the Ray Samuels)

The Nuforce UF30's are less detailed, the sound staging is closed, however the issue of that recessed midrange has been dealt with, and the bass although more boomy, is also more weighty than the Zino's or iCans.

Speed: iCans

Detail: iCans

Bass weight: Zino

Midrange: Nuforce UF30

O.K. hands up, the Zino's have had less than 30 hours burn in, however I'm still not blown away by either of the three. The Zino/iCans midrange recess issue is still present, and the UF30's could do with being a bit tighter.

The HFI-15G still reign supreme

The HFI-15G's are still Ultrasone's best portable headphones by a big margin, except on the build quality. My 15G's arm has snapped. I fixed it with super glue but it snapped again in the same spot. Mind you I did (accidentally) throw a basket of clean washing on them oops. Now I'm looking at getting an epoxy resin kit to fix them. However the 15G's are far more balanced, far more comfortable, in fact they are the most comfortable headphones I have.

As for the Zino's, I'll give them 100 hours, however thinking there'll be any great change in that time is wishful thinking. Although I like the extra weight, I'd still take the iCans ... modded and with some form of amp.

Oh, you'll need an amp with any Ultrasone headphones you buy. Without an amp, the Zino's are even less impressive. Got them plugged into a Fiio E5 at the moment.

Anyway I'll put a full review on fakeheadphones soon.

If you love your music, buy the HFI-15G.

If you want detail, buy the iCans.

If you want a bit of bass, buy the Zino's.

Sep 27, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 7
The images I've seen online, I thought they'd be like chalk and cheese but apart from the head band they do look exactly the same. the ear casing is slightly thicker by a few mills, but it's all iCans based. this is not a new revolutionary design by any means.

I'd like save a lot of comment for my full review, however my main gripe with the Zino's is that Ultrasone have done nothing to address the recessed midrange issue. Oh sure they've beefed up the sound the bass in an attempt to cover this issue up, but it simply hasn't' worked. Nuforce have cured the recessed midrange, but it lacks in every other respect.

The retail for the iCans is $129, the Zino's $99 and the UF30's $79 and to be honest, that's about right. The iCans are more detailed, albeit harsh, the Zino's are warm boomy, and the UF30 on a lesser scale of the Zino's, but with the midrange in sync. I do like the Zino's, but I was expecting far more, and the midrange issue to be gone.

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 7
I just got the UF30's. They are brand new and don't sound anything like the UF-30s I tested in the shop. So they are now plugged into my receiver and getting a hefty dose of burn in.

My initial impression when I listened to the ones in the shop: WOW awesome, warm sound with the kind of nice boomy bass I like, and clear midrange and okay highs. Not that *awesome awesome* but pretty good for the price.

Now I have them at home, I'm comparing them to the Grado SR60 which goes around the same price, and well what can I say the Grados kick them around like no tomorrow. Pretty much better in every way, except maybe soundstage. But that's without burn in so I will still do a rematch in 2 days. Right now without the burn in the UF30s decidedly sound a bit harsh and the bass extension is completely lacking and nothing like what I remember them being when I auditioned them in the shop.

That said it's a bit unfair to compare them to the Grados, since the Grados are decidedly not porta-friendly and are more for use at home, whereas the UF30s are going to be seeing action around the town.

I should also compare these to a few other porta phones I have lying around, too bad I no longer have the Senn PXs but I guess I can put them up against the AKG K81 DJs. The AKG though is like below the price range. Might as well pit them against the Bose Triport OEs I still have lying around.

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now I have them at home, I'm comparing them to the Grado SR60 which goes around the same price, and well what can I say the Grados kick them around like no tomorrow.

Don't even get me started on the issue of exchange rates; needless to say, in the UK the prices are quite different. Zino's are around the £75 mark the SR60i's are £90

The Grado SR60's are still more expensive than the Zino's and I know the Zino are more expensive than the UF's. In the U.S. the SR60i's are the same price as the UF's.

IMHO for the most part, the Grado SR60 is going to be one of the better buys under £100/$100. There's not going to be much than can touch them. Although I've never done a correct comparison with the SR60's (I’m doing so now with a bit of Level 42), I have to say that you're right, in most area's the SR60's win hands down, but the sound staging is not a clear winner over the UF30's, but the UF30's sound is generally.... warmer than the Grado's.

Initially the UF30's warmth is quite welcome over the SR60's, however there is a very 'night and day' difference to the overall clarity and performance that I don't think the UF's will ever be able to keep up with.

I also have the OE, the K518's the 212's ... actually it looks as though we have much the same gear.

Anyway I got serious wrist slapping from Ultrasone, bar the fact that I call the HFI-15G'S my favourite pair of 'portable' headphones. That's the real shame here.

I'm sure many people know that Mother Teresa died about a week after Princess Di, yet who got all the press ..... the looker!

The Zino's are the 'Babe' of the Ultrasone range, the 'Looker'. Unfortunately, IMHO that's all they are. I was furious that they didn't do anything about the iCans recessed midrange problem, bar the fact of using a larger driver. It hasn't solved the recessed midrange issue, it cover it up with a bit more bloated bass.

The Zino's were the biggest, gut wrenching disappointment of 2009 for me, which is a shame when at the opposite end of the scale, the 'Ugly Duckling' (HFI-15G) rarely get any attention. The HFI's are so more grounded and more rounded than the Zino’s or UF30's.

In fairness to Nuforce, they have produced a product with a fair price, but for me, the HFI-15G is my first Ultrasone portable love, and first portable love under $100.

Jan 21, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #7 of 7
I've gotten sufficient burn in and I can now safely change my assessment. I prefer the UF30s to the Grados now, but not by much really. The two are still different sound experiences. But I am a fan of dark, warm sound and the UF30s edge the SR60s for that kind of sound.

The Grados on the other hand are brighter and have a more well-defined high end, unlike the UF30 which can sound a little veiled in that respect. But again since I like the low-end with a warm sound, the UF30s are my weapon of choice especially if I plan to listen to music that benefit from that kind of sound. I do agree with you though that if you are looking for clarity the Grados and the UF30 are a night and day difference and the UF30s cannot keep up. They just sound too generally veiled in comparison.

For a more "fun sound" though the UF30s can run the gauntlet. I tend to trip on House and Brazilian music and the UF30s definitely lend well to those. If I'm just dancing to some Wez Clarke and Maxine Hardcastle the UF30s are very game -- I also like how the UF30s seem to put the music around you better than the SR60s do -- and that's a very good achievement. The difference is especially marked when you're listening to groovin' kind of music like some Earth Wind and Fire. The UF30s just sound so fun and I love using them, and they look pretty nice and I get lots of compliments from people when I wear them -- definitely a looker there.

The Grados still have their place and are a headset I wouldn't trade off (unless maybe I get something a little higher on the Grado chain lol) -- nothing I have sound quite like them and I like to keep different-sounding headsets for variety.

Cool to hear we have pretty much the same gear. I'm still pretty new to the hobby but I'm sure my collection will flesh it out the more I go along.

I also hear your pain on conversion rates... I don't live in the US of A either and I generally have to pay more for my gear. I got my SR60s for more like $120US instead of the $80 or so price point people in the US would pay. My UF30s also went for about the same price. It's tough but I can't do much about it at the moment unless I move half a world away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back