Ultrasone v. Denon? You pick em!
Feb 2, 2008 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

barmar46

100+ Head-Fier
I have a credit on Amazon I'm itchin' to use. So I wanna' try out a can that I've never heard. Choice: Denon AH- D1000 S or Ultrasone HI 550.

Currently I have Senn 650's balanced through Headroom balanced amp/dac.
Thinking of using these new friends for portable when I get a Pico with use of classic iPod. I now use shure 530 iems unamped but don't particularly like the iem feel.

One other factor. I tried k701s previously and find too much brightness is hard for me to handle. Oh, one more factor the Denons cost $149, the Ultrasones, $189.

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All Ultrasones have similar headphone fit. You would have to go in the store to try it for yourself, and make sure it fits comfortably.

which store is that?

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 14
Between those two, you're probably better off going for the Denons.

The HFI-550 are rather bass-heavy for general music listening; they were mainly designed with bass-players and drummers in mind.

That said, for an additional 20 bills over the HFI-550, the PROline 650 (currently on sale for $90 off list price at Amazon) are a wonderful bargain. They are a real pleasure to listen to, anything but bright, and have been my own portable favorite for just over a year now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by acegazda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which store is that?

In Canada, Long and McQuade has the lower end Ultrasones, I would imagine Guitar Center would have them if you're in the states.

Feb 2, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 14
I have been raving about those Denon D1000 since they 1st came out and I decided to get a pair. But I haven't read any other post where someone else has also acquired them. If you are into anything other than classical music, then the Denon will walk all over my K701, and has better treble and deeper bass than my HD650. When my son went off to uni, I even bought him a pair to take with him. Since then a few of his mates have bought the D1000 as well after they listened to it. Gets 9 out of 10 from me.

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 14
Grab the Denons, I'm with the guy above. I love them. The highs sparkle without being a pain. The bass is quite good, it doesn't slam but it blends in perfect with everything else. Plus these things really rock amped. A total other level. And the comfort factor, Nothing in this range even comes close..A hell of a can IMO

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 14
The D1000 sound similar to the Sennheiser HD25-1, and sound like a good mid-level can.

I've never heard the HFI-550, so I can't compare for you. But I have the HFI700dvd which are a great can and a step above the D1000 and HD25-1, but a step below the D2000. I know the HFI700 are out of your price range, but I bring them up because the earcups on my HFI are rather small inside. Even though the D1000 are also small on the outside like the HFI, I felt there is more room inside than the HFI for your ear flaps
smily_headphones1.gif

The Proline 650 also have more room inside the ear-cups, but I never heard those either.

Feb 3, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 14
I'm real interested in the ultrasone proline 650....Get them! If I can't get them, somebody has to! =[ They seem like something special plus you're going to get a better deal off those than the HFI.

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 14
I like how the d1000's offer a really smooth sound and are just so comfortable. They're a great headphone to have around the $100 mark. I've been going back and forth between my d1000 and es7 for the past few weeks and I think I'm starting to lean towards the d1000 sound signature. They're quite nice cans for the price point.

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Between those two, you're probably better off going for the Denons.

The HFI-550 are rather bass-heavy for general music listening; they were mainly designed with bass-players and drummers in mind.

That said, for an additional 20 bills over the HFI-550, the PROline 650 (currently on sale for $90 off list price at Amazon) are a wonderful bargain. They are a real pleasure to listen to, anything but bright, and have been my own portable favorite for just over a year now.
smily_headphones1.gif

x2, but if you see DJ1 give it a try...
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm real interested in the ultrasone proline 650....Get them! If I can't get them, somebody has to! =[ They seem like something special plus you're going to get a better deal off those than the HFI.

yes, somesay PL650 got more great sounding than PL750...cmiiw !
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back