Ultrasone + SLogic
Mar 24, 2009 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

notuagain

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

After reading so many good things about Ultrasone headphones, in particular their bottom-end control and delivery, I took a closer look as I need a pair of headphones to give a very good account of frequencies <50Hz.

I was initially perturbed by the implementation off Slogic in a headphone design, as I was looking for an accurate account of sound.

So how would users describe the Slogic delivery and coloration?

Thanks,
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 22
Slogic has to do with the positioning of the drivers within the ear cups. Coloration is more a function of the drivers themselves. The delivery varies within the Ultrasone line; for example, I consider the Ed9 a more accurate phone than the HFI780 (with price increase to match), although both are enjoyable to listen to.

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 22
With the ProLine750 I find the S-Logic to be "invisible", in other words I believe it may play a part in the sound stage and imaging but I do not notice any particular "effect" as you might when using a DSP surround effect.

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 22
Thanks for feedback.

I've been reading into the different models (which are visually difficult to distinguish between) and am looking for any recommendations among the Ultrasone line.

Asides from the Ed9 which are out of budget, which model gives the best representation of bass without losing out on other frequencies too much?

So far from what I've read, I'm leaning towards the Proline 900s. Is this a recommended choice?

Thanks,
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 22
PRO 900... Since you can easilly choose exactly how much bass you want. If you compare to proper subs it´s not bassy in stock but I find it better balanced subduing it a bit by KeeS modding it. Otherwise the 750 is better balanced for me if you don´t want to mod it. KeeS mod is totally reversible though.

But yes definiatly get the 900 a big lift from the 750 when you get the mod just right
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the ProLine750 I find the S-Logic to be "invisible", in other words I believe it may play a part in the sound stage and imaging but I do not notice any particular "effect" as you might when using a DSP surround effect.

X2 here. Same with my HFI-780, too.

They just sound like very good cans -- no strangeness, just good sound.

Both are keepers for me.

Mar 25, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #10 of 22
When I owned ED9s, they sounded very closed-in, the S-Logic doing nothing for me, until I'd used them for a while. Since it was luck of the draw whether S-Logic did anything for people, I consider it very over-hyped. If they'd simply said that it is designed to reduce the effect of the "in your head" sound you get from headphones, that would have been more realistic.

Mar 25, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #11 of 22
^I agree, however the s-logic may work or not, they will still have a very decent soundstage, on par with similar priced headphones!

Mar 25, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #12 of 22
hmmm why do you separate the two? S-logic is a name for some patent they have I believe for their displaced driver... Which in term affects soundstage and how we perceive the sound coming from it... I don´t think the goal is to produce a wider soundstage. Have never read that it was supposed to be the goal of it rather giving a more speaker like presentation and with better surround effects in particular combined with binaural recordings.

I don´t know what some people except from S-logic? You do get the displaced driver so you do get S-logic
biggrin.gif
I have noticed that it has a more 3d soundstage than any other headphone I have heard which probably wouldn´t be as good if the driver was centered as normal or just angled.

But there is no voodoo about it.

So the design certainly works as intended for me anyway. Will be interesting to see if the DX 1000 can match it with binaural recordings though. K701 comes close but no cigar
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #13 of 22
I seperate the two, because the displacement is just a part of the soundstage. All those other headphones on the market who don't have displaced drivers, also have soundstage!

Also what people expect? Well maybe this:

"S-Logic™ Natural Surround Sound
Through S-Logic™ Natural Surround, the sound moves out of your head and into the room around you. Consequently, the music is no longer confined, but breathing once again, spacious and organic. Direction and distance are more easily perceived – it’s like being at a live concert (…or in the studio). No additional equipment is necessary. So with just a pair of Ultrasones and your favorite audio device, prepare yourself for genuine 3-dimensional enjoyment!"

They don't deliver that imo at all.

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #14 of 22
yes they do... For example a K701 can give you the 3rd row on a concert or something... But it gives you that all the time. With the Ultrasones on some recordings you are closer on other further away.

Now as for genuine 3dimensional if you compare with 5.1 speakers it´s of course not comparable. But well considerably better then the audio technicas, akgs, denons and others I have tried
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #15 of 22
Some people perceive the S-Logic and some say they don't. I have had the 2500s modded and now have a pair of ALO 780s.

Well, the ALO mod appears to really improve the s-logic. I believe he removes the board though so perhaps the ALO mod removes the s-logic? lol

At any rate, ALO modded 780s have as deep and precise a sound stage as I have ever heard. The stage is still a bit on the small side but very well presented and accurate. The bass is just deeeeeeep and does not intrude on the mids much at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back