Ultrasone Signature Studio vs Signature DXP?
Jun 10, 2018 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

blakey72

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at pulling the plug on either of these headphones. I've tried to find comparisons but not much around. I'll be running them off a Burson Soloist SL Mk2. I want them to be comfortable for long listening periods, Slightly laid back (not bright) but detailed. I'm not a basshead so just as long as the bass is accurate I'll be happy. Has anyone compared the two????

Thanks
Blake.

Jun 25, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 15
I just bought the DXP and I've heard the Studio. The DXP is quite v-shaped. Treble isn't sibilant. The Studio seems flatter and more accurate. I'm trying to sell the DXP. If you're interested I have it listed in buy and sell here. I have it listed for local Sydney pickup, but I can post if you trust me (I haven't sold anything here before).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-ultrasone-signature-dxp-closed-sydney-only.882586/

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 15
I just bought the DXP and I've heard the Studio. The DXP is quite v-shaped. Treble isn't sibilant. The Studio seems flatter and more accurate. I'm trying to sell the DXP. If you're interested I have it listed in buy and sell here. I have it listed for local Sydney pickup, but I can post if you trust me (I haven't sold anything here before).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-ultrasone-signature-dxp-closed-sydney-only.882586/

I am from Europe unfortunately :wink:
This week I will have a chance to see/ listen to both of them in the store. But without burning in it will be hard to tell which one is better I am afraid.
So.. how would you describe the differences if I can ask? Was the bass responce from Studio good enough?
Usually Dj verision gets better reviews than Pro and DXP seems to be the same or similar to Dj. (as Studio to PRO but with cheaper materials)? Please help :)
Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 15
I am from Europe unfortunately :wink:
This week I will have a chance to see/ listen to both of them in the store. But without burning in it will be hard to tell which one is better I am afraid.
So.. how would you describe the differences if I can ask? Was the bass responce from Studio good enough?
Usually Dj verision gets better reviews than Pro and DXP seems to be the same or similar to Dj. (as Studio to PRO but with cheaper materials)? Please help :)
Thanks!
I only heard the Studio a short time, but it was quite neutral and revealing. The DXP is more fun sounding. Bass is elevated but tight, and doesn't bleed into the mids. I want to sell because they look a bit clunky on my head, and I've got enough v-shaped cans. I'm interested in getting the Performance 880.

Jun 25, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 15
I only heard the Studio a short time, but it was quite neutral and revealing. The DXP is more fun sounding. Bass is elevated but tight, and doesn't bleed into the mids. I want to sell because they look a bit clunky on my head, and I've got enough v-shaped cans. I'm interested in getting the Performance 880.
Thanks for the answer!
Well I guess I will need to make a quick decision in the store anyway:) I like the sound signature of my boplay h6 v2 and looking for another step forward from them. Probably Studios will be closer than DXP but will see but I've heard that mids and highs on DXP are better than DJ and close to studios. So just the difference in bass ? Decisions, decisions...
Cheers!

Jun 25, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 15
Hey there :)

You could have tagged me via @ as I didn't see the thread, but I have both headphones and can answer the question :)

Basically, I'll answer the question here since it might help a lot more people if they are facing the same question.

Will do it long style for the peace of mind :)

Ultrasone Signature Studio vs Ultrasone Signature DXP - Starting with the package, they are very similar, sporting virtually the same package. The materials and build quality is exactly the same, but Signature DXP is gray with Green accents, while Signature Studio is rather black with silvery accents. I got used to seeing DXP every day, but it surely looks different from most headphones I have. Both feel very good in hand, and both have excellent build quality. Both are simlar in build quality to Signature Pro and Signature DJ as well, both being made by the same amazing company, Ultrasone. Both isolate similarly well, and both are the same size, so both are very similar in comfort. Now, when it comes to their sound, they are somewhat similar, and you can see some similarities from the start. Both have excellent soundstage, with a landscape when it comes to size, more or less like HD800 from Sennheiser, Ultrasone being the company to go with if you're looking for large soundstage in a closed back headphone. When it comes to their signature, the main difference is in the bass, where Signature DXP has more bass in amount, with a slightly slower bass that feels bigger and more natural. The midrange and the treble are similar, with Signature DXP being a touch smoother, but not noticeably so. The dynamics and details are excellent on both, and the clarity is again, amazing on both, both being excellenjt choices for closed-back headphones. Now, the bass and the signature, Signature Studio can feel a tad bright since it has quite a healthy treble, but they are never harsh, being just open-sounding and airy, where DXP also feels meaty and impactful, having the same treble, but also with a ton of bass. Signature DXP is clearly more V shaped, as it sports more bass, and from the two DXP is probably more universal, where Signature Studio is as its name predicts, a really amazing studio headphone, but it is not quite as universal as DXP, which will work amazing with any music, from classical to metal, from jazz to punk to electronic to hip-hop, basically evereything sounds vivid and fun on DXP. By comparison, Signature Studio is more analytical, it brings forard more detail, and cuts with more precision, but it is picky, it reveals mistakes as well as details easier, being a better headphone if you like detail a lot, but it doesn't have the bass of DXP, which quikcly grew to become a personal favorite for me.

I think that you should go with the one that sounds better from that description, besides those details, they are basically the same headpohone.

I'll also load a photo of Signature DXP just for this thread, and maybe it helps understand how the color scheme is gray with green rather than the black and silver of studio :)

Dgjw9ZWW0AAyKje.jpg:large

Jun 25, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 15
Hey there :)

You could have tagged me via @ as I didn't see the thread, but I have both headphones and can answer the question :)

Basically, I'll answer the question here since it might help a lot more people if they are facing the same question.

Will do it long style for the peace of mind :)

Ultrasone Signature Studio vs Ultrasone Signature DXP - Starting with the package, they are very similar, sporting virtually the same package. The materials and build quality is exactly the same, but Signature DXP is gray with Green accents, while Signature Studio is rather black with silvery accents. I got used to seeing DXP every day, but it surely looks different from most headphones I have. Both feel very good in hand, and both have excellent build quality. Both are simlar in build quality to Signature Pro and Signature DJ as well, both being made by the same amazing company, Ultrasone. Both isolate similarly well, and both are the same size, so both are very similar in comfort. Now, when it comes to their sound, they are somewhat similar, and you can see some similarities from the start. Both have excellent soundstage, with a landscape when it comes to size, more or less like HD800 from Sennheiser, Ultrasone being the company to go with if you're looking for large soundstage in a closed back headphone. When it comes to their signature, the main difference is in the bass, where Signature DXP has more bass in amount, with a slightly slower bass that feels bigger and more natural. The midrange and the treble are similar, with Signature DXP being a touch smoother, but not noticeably so. The dynamics and details are excellent on both, and the clarity is again, amazing on both, both being excellenjt choices for closed-back headphones. Now, the bass and the signature, Signature Studio can feel a tad bright since it has quite a healthy treble, but they are never harsh, being just open-sounding and airy, where DXP also feels meaty and impactful, having the same treble, but also with a ton of bass. Signature DXP is clearly more V shaped, as it sports more bass, and from the two DXP is probably more universal, where Signature Studio is as its name predicts, a really amazing studio headphone, but it is not quite as universal as DXP, which will work amazing with any music, from classical to metal, from jazz to punk to electronic to hip-hop, basically evereything sounds vivid and fun on DXP. By comparison, Signature Studio is more analytical, it brings forard more detail, and cuts with more precision, but it is picky, it reveals mistakes as well as details easier, being a better headphone if you like detail a lot, but it doesn't have the bass of DXP, which quikcly grew to become a personal favorite for me.

I think that you should go with the one that sounds better from that description, besides those details, they are basically the same headpohone.

I'll also load a photo of Signature DXP just for this thread, and maybe it helps understand how the color scheme is gray with green rather than the black and silver of studio :)

Dgjw9ZWW0AAyKje.jpg:large

By any chance have you ever had the chance to hear the Edition 15?

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 15
By any chance have you ever had the chance to hear the Edition 15?

Sorry, Edition 15, no, I haven't seen any pair in Romania at all yet, so not a chance. Maybe I will get to in the future though (?)

Only Edition 5 and Edition 8 so far, I really liked Edition 8's sound :)

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #11 of 15
. Signature DXP is clearly more V shaped, as it sports more bass, and from the two DXP is probably more universal, where Sig. By comparison, Signature Studio is more analytical, it brings forard more detail, and cuts with more precision, but it is picky, it reveals mistakes as well as details easier, being a better headphone if you like detail a lot, but it doesn't have the bass of DXP, which quikcly grew to become a personal favorite for me.
Damn, I like both analitical and bassy ones:)
Good thing is that probably eather of them would be good, so that might not be that difficult choice after all :) So mids / vocals are equal on both?
And one more thing: have you noticed change of their sound signatures after some time /burning in? I am asking because I will have a chance to hear only completely new out of the box ones. I wonder what will change in their sound reproduction with time (have heard that especially Sig Pros change a lot)
Thanks agait for such a great and detailed answer :)

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #12 of 15
Damn, I like both analitical and bassy ones:)
Good thing is that probably eather of them would be good, so that might not be that difficult choice after all :) So mids / vocals are equal on both?
And one more thing: have you noticed change of their sound signatures after some time /burning in? I am asking because I will have a chance to hear only completely new out of the box ones. I wonder what will change in their sound reproduction with time (have heard that especially Sig Pros change a lot)
Thanks agait for such a great and detailed answer :)

Mids and vocals are mostly equal. As for burn-in, it really depends how close you are paying attention, the overall sound tends to become a bit smoother after a while, feels a tad more natural.

Jun 26, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #13 of 15
Well. Was hard to make a decision and not 100 % sure I made a right one yet, but have bought DXP today :) will start to test it properly tomorrow. From first audition bass is in deed powerful :) but the rest of frequencies are great as well ! Will update later and compare it to my b&o h6 v2 that I like a lot:)

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #14 of 15
So far so good, they sound better, much more emotional than h6's :) Bass is very good. No more Eq needed for me at all. They are very detailed with nice vocal reproduction and good highs. B&o is more comfortable tho.

If anyone is interested, I have asked Ultrasone directly about differences between signature Dj & DXP as well as Pro and Studio. Here is the answer:

"Well you are totally right, that the materials are the main differences between the Signature DJ an Signature DXP headphones. The same is with the linear studio headphones. The leather ear pads are responsible for a more nuances in the sound characteristics, but this is really not huge. We call the Signature DXP and the Signature Studio as the little brothers. Nevertheless the tuning of Signature DXP is really awesome, so what we can definitely say is: you choose the right one.

In fact our ears have a different hearing and it is very individual, and you mention how great you enjoy them and this is the main point.

We hope that this information is helpful. If you have more questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at any time.

With kind regards from Germany,

Your ULTRASONE Team"

It looks like they should be VERY similar do DJ version wchich is a good thing:)
BTW it is interesting if DJ and DXP pads are interchangeable? :)

Thanks for all the info @Dobrescu George , I reallly like DXP!

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #15 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back