Ultrasone Signature Studio, Impressions and Information Gathering Thread
Feb 9, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #106 of 118
Listening to the Edition 8s right now, they have more upper end energy and are more comfortable, more portable and are much lighter. Soundstage... after I get the edition 8's warmed up for a few minutes they sound just as open as the DJs, the Djs do have more lower end oomph, but I never really miss it. I really think they nailed it with the Edition 8's. If I had to choose one it would be the edition 8's. Their price is justified.

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #107 of 118
iFi iDSD Nano Black Label + Ultrasone Signature Studio

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2018/03/ifi-idsd-nano-black-label-mighty-little-one.html

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ifi-audio-nano-idsd-black-label.22770/reviews#review-20063

Audiophile_Heaven_iFi_iDSD_Nano_BL_Review_33.jpg

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #111 of 118
Hi guys,

Quick question. What's the difference between Ultrasone Signature Studio and Ultrasone Signature Pro?

Is it just the pads? Do both have the same drivers?

What about Ultrasone Signature DJ and Ultrasone Signature DXP? They both have the same drivers? Are they very bass heavy?

Thanks! :D
@Spaceman2 @ekolite @fomoz

Hi Guys,
I have asked Ultrasone the exact same thing - is there any real difference between DXP & DJ / Pro & Studio and here is the answer:

"Well you are totally right, that the materials are the main differences between the Signature DJ an Signature DXP headphones. The same is with the linear studio headphones. The leather ear pads are responsible for a more nuances in the sound characteristics, but this is really not huge. We call the Signature DXP and the Signature Studio as the little brothers. Nevertheless the tuning of Signature DXP is really awesome, so what we can definitely say is: you choose the right one.

In fact our ears have a different hearing and it is very individual, and you mention how great you enjoy them and this is the main point.

We hope that this information is helpful. If you have more questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at any time.

With kind regards from Germany,

Your ULTRASONE Team"

Guess that is a good news! Looks like we can get almost the same quality sound for much less ( but without ethiopian sheep leather™ :frowning2: )

I am a fresh, happy DXP user BTW :)
IMG_20180627_151634.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #112 of 118
I got the Signature Studio in this weekend.

At first glance it is rather expensive for the choice of materials. It looks a bit 90s with the plastics to match that era. BUT the build quality itself seems good. I guess it will last a long time, it is made in germany, so I can accept higher labor costs to build it.

Comfort is good for me.

They seem rather bright to me. They have reaaaally nice resolution and seperation. Bass is fast dry, and dynamic, good textures. Good punch. But there is zero bloat or thickness to fill out the low mids, maaaabye a problem on some hip hop tracks.

They can sound a touch thin on some recordings On others it really opens up the soundstage. It has pretty good imaging of front, medium left/right, far left/right with some height variation to it. The depth of soundscape is solid too. Never sounds congested. These headphones really don't have the word muffled in their vocabulary.

This is my first "S-Logic" headphone, and I must say the worries were unwarranted, the effect is only very subtle. They just sound slightly larger than your average closed headphone. They are actually not too far off sounding from my DT770, just that the Ultrasone is more about details, brings you slightly closer (the DT770 is a pretty big sounding headphone in terms of its stage an depth).

I really like them. Good for vocals too.

But if you are sensitive to treble then these are not for you.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #113 of 118
I got the Signature Studio in this weekend.

At first glance it is rather expensive for the choice of materials. It looks a bit 90s with the plastics to match that era. BUT the build quality itself seems good. I guess it will last a long time, it is made in germany, so I can accept higher labor costs to build it.

Comfort is good for me.

They seem rather bright to me. They have reaaaally nice resolution and seperation. Bass is fast dry, and dynamic, good textures. Good punch. But there is zero bloat or thickness to fill out the low mids, maaaabye a problem on some hip hop tracks.

They can sound a touch thin on some recordings On others it really opens up the soundstage. It has pretty good imaging of front, medium left/right, far left/right with some height variation to it. The depth of soundscape is solid too. Never sounds congested. These headphones really don't have the word muffled in their vocabulary.

This is my first "S-Logic" headphone, and I must say the worries were unwarranted, the effect is only very subtle. They just sound slightly larger than your average closed headphone. They are actually not too far off sounding from my DT770, just that the Ultrasone is more about details, brings you slightly closer (the DT770 is a pretty big sounding headphone in terms of its stage an depth).

I really like them. Good for vocals too.

Agreed with all your statements, this is pretty much how one can describe them accurately :)

BTW, I haven't tried DT770, so can't say about how they compare to those, but if anyone is looking for some more bass, there's always them Signature DXP, which is pretty much the same thing, but with more bass, more bass impact, but that same amaing speed to the bass.

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #114 of 118

The titanium plate drivers of the Studio will need some burn in time to have its bass response "open up", and in turn lessen the treble (as you no longer have to turn up the volume as much).

It won't take long, go download the 20-100Hz test tones from here:
http://onlinetonegenerator.com/subwoofer.html, set volume at normal listening level using the 100Hz tone, set repeat in your player to play the 20-100Hz tones for 3-4 days, and you will have much better bass resolution, and less pirecing treble.

This was how I burned in my Signature Pro and Pro 2900. The difference of the Pro 2900 before/after burn in was just unbelievable. The burn in process also remove some channel imbalance below 50Hz of my Signature Pro.

Have Fun!

Sep 18, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #115 of 118
The titanium plate drivers of the Studio will need some burn in time to have its bass response "open up", and in turn lessen the treble (as you no longer have to turn up the volume as much).

I think you are right, maybe I got use to it or burn in already happened.

6izlnm.jpg

I was going back and forth today on the MSR7SE and the Signature Studio. I must say that there is not much between them. The MSR7SE only is a hair warmer in the Bass moving only a couple of hz further up towards the Mids. To my ears the Signature Studio has a slight dip between the Bass and Mids transition. Both of them are very present sounding in the vocal region, but the MSR7SE takes it a touch further up. Treble is excellent on both, very similar. Great detail, both of them are fast in the treble and can resolve space between the notes.

And yet for casual Youtube watching, gaming, movies etc.. I still prefer DT770 32ohm, more comfortable, and sound significantly wider than the Ultrasone or the AT. While having the nasty treble boost that is broad and not quite as resolving as the other two + the slower rumbly sub bass - for me it is just epic fun! But for music it has this strident treble haze to it if you push the volume. So for Music I will stick to Ultrasone Sig. St and MSR7SE on the go.

I guess the quest for great headphones always continues. One sad thing is the Master & Dynamic MH40 I have here, the build quality is better than all of them, all metal, real leather, and yet the sound is very consumer orientated with big bass and soft treble. Not to my liking sadly.

In the end I think Signature Studio is what is supposed to be, a Pro tool. But it is nice that Ultrasone also left us some musicality :)

Aug 12, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #116 of 118

It won't take long, go download the 20-100Hz test tones from here:
http://onlinetonegenerator.com/subwoofer.html, set volume at normal listening level using the 100Hz tone, set repeat in your player to play the 20-100Hz tones for 3-4 days, and you will have much better bass resolution, and less pirecing treble.

This was how I burned in my Signature Pro and Pro 2900. The difference of the Pro 2900 before/after burn in was just unbelievable. The burn in process also remove some channel imbalance below 50Hz of my Signature Pro.

Have Fun!
Just got my Signature Studio and by far I'm liking them so much that I'm considering moving up the ladder. How does it compare to the Signature Pro?

Apr 24, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #118 of 118
It's been almost 4 years since I first got my Signature Studio, and I still think it's a tremendous value. From where I live you can get them for $300, mind you that's their every day price, not some crazy 30 minutes flash deal once-in-a-lifetime unobtanium bargain price. For $300 it's an absolute steal.

I have since acquired not one, not two, but 3 pairs of Signature PROs, the Studio's supposed upgrade, and truth be told I can't really tell a difference in sound quality. Curious, I took all of them apart and lo and behold, the driver is the exact same between the Studio and the PRO. I'm going to post some tear down pictures later today.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back