Ultrasone Signature DJ or Denon D7100?
Jan 23, 2014 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ldzhjn

New Head-Fier
I've been struggling between these two for some time.
Just want some opinions from you guys.

First, here's the music I listen.
30% of punk/rock, favorite band is Sum 41/Yellowcard/Green Day.
25% of rap, 2Pac/DMX/Lupe Fiasco/Eminem are my favorite.
15% of electronic and dance music, for example David Guetta/Tiesto.
15% of indie pop, Ingrid Michaelson/A Fine Frenzy/Club 8 are my favorite.
The rest 15% are jpop, fripSide/Miku/実谷なな are like indie pop plus EDM.

The price of these two headphones are almost identical.
The type of sound is almost identical too.
[size=x-small]I prefer bass and resolve more, this is the reason I chose Sig DJ and D7100 into my [/size]candidate[size=x-small].[/size]
But I like Sig DJ's portable size and single side cord design more.
But the sound quality is the deal breaker for me, if D7100 is way better than Sig DJ I'll still take D7100.

And I plan to drive the winner with Sony ZX1 and no amplifier.
Btw besides music, I watch lots of films.
I guess Sig DJ has some kind virtue surrounding tech to make the sound more vivid?

Now, please advise me.
Thanks in advance.

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 5
The new Denon line seems to be overall pretty mediocre. The older D7000 was highly regarded as one of the best closed headphones, but the new line is pretty eh. Given your preference for a bit of bass, I'd also take a look at the Fostex TH600, also a very good closed headphone at that price range.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 5
The new Denon line seems to be overall pretty mediocre. The older D7000 was highly regarded as one of the best closed headphones, but the new line is pretty eh. Given your preference for a bit of bass, I'd also take a look at the Fostex TH600, also a very good closed headphone at that price range.

TH600 is out of the euqation because I don't like the cord desgin.

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 5
From what I have seen, the new denon line is more durable than previous denons, at least for the d600 and d7100. If anything, they are probably more durable than a vast majority of cans head-fiers recommend. The D7100 is te best bet for music and movies, though the ultrasone signature dj will be best if you also edit, mix, monitor, and remaster music, as well as movies oddly enough.

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 5
I suggest you have a good look through the D7100 thread as it has plenty of impressions and especially look at the measurements, I'd prefer the DJ looking into the 7100 thread. If you are going to listen only at home then the TH600 is also a consideration as it has a larger soundstage, slightly better detail retrieval and better imaging than the Signature DJ I tried. The DJ slammed harder in the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back