Ultrasone PROline 650 / 750 ?
Mar 26, 2007 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ruZZ.il

500+ Head-Fier
I'm seriously considering a pair of US PROline 750. I managed to sit at a studio/store that had a bunch of different headphones to listen to and get a good listening to them.. listened to some beyers and grados too.. while are all superb the US seem to have the right sound for the music I mostly listen to and I really liked the 750's.. unfortunatly they didnt have any PROline 650s for me to listen to cause 300$ is about my budget here.. I'd really appreciate the sonic/comfort differences anyone can point out to help me justify an extra 100$(bout 400$ for the 750s), or if the 650's would satisfy me.. I listen 'mostly' to funky jazzadelic psytrance (yeah, its a rather branched off kinda undergound scene...) so theres a bit of it all. any feedback and comparisons would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

-Russ.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 18
I can't help you with the differences between the two models since I haven't heard either, but for better prices you may want to check out Meier-Audio. BTW, Meier-Audio's prices include worldwide shipping.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 18
I've had my Proline 750 for 3 days with roughly 40 hours of burn-in. Let me tell you, it is a fantastic pair of cans. Things got dramatically better through the burn-in process. There are a couple online vendors on eBay selling these in your price range. Pick the one that will let you do "Best-offer". Highly recommended!!

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 18
From what I have gathered, Proline 650 has bit more rounded sound and warmer full-bodied bass, and compared to 750 the mids might be bit hollower. No personal experience... yet.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 18
http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/salesframe.html

Click on the link to that website, look for the link "Headphones" under the Audio section and click on that, then click on "Ultrasones" and scroll down until you find the 750's. Once you find them you should see a link that says "click here to email us for our lowest price". Click on that and enter all of your information. They should get back to you within 24 hours with a price lower than $400, probably around the $350 range.

This is where most of the people here are ordering their Ultrasones from.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 18
If you want a more forgiving hp, go for the 650. The 750's are very detailed and will show you every flaw there is to hear. I think they are also more bright-sounding than the 650's. I have never heard the 650 though. Just pointing out what I have read on them. I do have the 750's and totally love them! Nice and tight, well detailed and let's you hear eveything.
And yeah, I think nsl has the best price. Make sure you email them for the best price. It'll be a different one than the one visible on their site.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...a price lower than $400, probably around the $350 range.

That seems to be $45 higher than Meier-Audio's price.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That seems to be $45 higher than Meier-Audio price.

Thanks for that info. I would much rather order them from Jan than from Northern Sound.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that info. I would much rather order them from Jan than from Northern Sound.

Yes, I think it's definitely good to support a sponsor whenever possible.

Oh no, now I feel a bit guilty for not being a contributing member
redface.gif
. But, I'll sleep soundly tonight with the comfort of knowing that nowadays I always start my Amazon.com shopping by following the link from Head-Fi.

P.S. Where did that link go?! Now that this site looks like Windows Media Player 11, I can't find it...

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want a more forgiving hp, go for the 650. The 750's are very detailed and will show you every flaw there is to hear. I think they are also more bright-sounding than the 650's. I have never heard the 650 though.

When I compared the PROlines a while back, I found the 750 to be brighter than the 650, but the latter was slightly grainier, so the 750 wasn't too bright.
I was using a tube amp, so a bright solid state setup might make the 750 a bit harsher.

If you absolutely hate microphonic cables, the PROlines might not be for you, though.

My review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87940

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 18
FWIW. I paid south of $300 for mine. At least $50 cheaper than Northern Lights et al.

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I compared the PROlines a while back, I found the 750 to be brighter than the 650, but the latter was slightly grainier, so the 750 wasn't too bright.

They are indeed not too bright at all for me. I like their soundsig. From what I have read about the 650 I think I would prefer the 750 over them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back