Ultrasone Pro2900 - The Hidden Gem?
Sep 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bookaboo

100+ Head-Fier
Is the Ultrasone Pro2900 one of the most underrated headphones on Head Fi? I think it should be regarded in the same mid fi tier as the classic mid fi trio HD650/K702/DT880.I would love to hear from others who have had experience with this headphone and have them share their view as I feel that it has one under the radar somewhat here on head fi.

I have had in the past all of the aforementionbed mid fi trio and I feel the technicalities and detail of the Pro2900 are right up with the other 3 members of the mid fi trio - the HD650 can scale further but at considerable more expense when you factor in an aftermarket cable and a decent amp.

I find the ultrasone have a remarkable ability to appear upfront but also give a spacious soundstage - I find the s logic plus really works for me but I am aware it doesn't work for all people.

The bass is punchy, tight and deep, mids are well balanced and the high end is present but not overbearing. I find the tonality bears a passing resemblance to the alessandro ms series but with a much more spacious soundstage and punchier.

They are like a punchier, bassier AKG, a more upfront HD650, a HD600 with bigger, punchier bass, a less analytical sounding DT880, a ms pro with soundstage.

Comfort is good and at 40ohms they can be driven to satifactory level even with an ipod, scaling up nicely with a better source and amp.

They tick a few boxes in my book - I would be interested in hearing what others have to say - let the debate begin!

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 10
Subscribed...
Could you please elaborate on the HD 600 vs. Pro 2900 differences/similarities?
I'm really hesitating between these two.
Is the bass the main difference? I bet the 2900 is the clear winner?
I'm looking for an open hp with clean, textured and hard hitting bass, but that does not sound dark (i hated the Fidelio X1). Kinda fun but not too colored if this make sense... lol.
On the other hand, the legendary neutrality and musicality of the 600 are highly appealing...
how well does the 2900 compete with the 600 in the mids departement? vocals and strings?
Thanks you.

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 10
The bass is much punchier, tighter and goes deeper than the hd600. The mids are a little further back but I think the imaging is slightly better. The highs are more extended and cleaner. The overall sound is a little bit more upfront and the other plus is that they can be driven directly off an iPod with quite satisfactory results. They do scale up a bit further with an amp.

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 10
The bass is much punchier, tighter and goes deeper than the hd600. The mids are a little further back but I think the imaging is slightly better. The highs are more extended and cleaner. The overall sound is a little bit more upfront and the other plus is that they can be driven directly off an iPod with quite satisfactory results. They do scale up a bit further with an amp.

Thank you bookaboo for your clear and comprehensive answers.

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 10
Im using one as my main cans daily. Just bought an oyaide furukuwa cable too. The 2900's are just pure bliss. Very clear highs, detailed midrange, deep quality bass, and wide soundstage. I use an odac/c421 combo and it is just heavenly. After auditioning a lot of high end cans like the lcd2,t1,hd800/650/600,etc. I can come into conclusion that the ultrasones are the best in terms of sound,comfort,portability all in one package. Will report back if i hear any differences compared to the stock cable

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for joining the discussion. I really think they are right up there with some of the best mid tier phones out there - I look forward to hearing your impressions on the cable change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back