Ultrasone PRO 900 (with Kees mod) vs Modded T50rp Mad Dog
Oct 17, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
the good thing about the **** in, **** out is that when you have some good recordings, it will sound amazing :)

Im eager to try the pro 900 out.

Some time ago I read an interesting description of that rule with the Pro 900. Basically it was something like "when you feed the Pro 900 high quality recordings, they will serve you audio on a silver platter, but if you feed them bad recordings, they will serve you on the toilet" :)

So yes, good recordings do sound great on them.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Some time ago I read an interesting description of that rule with the Pro 900. Basically it was something like "when you feed the Pro 900 high quality recordings, they will serve you audio on a silver platter, but if you feed them bad recordings, they will serve you on the toilet" :)

So yes, good recordings do sound great on them.

Guess I'm getting the silver platter :)

I just wish someone could compare it with the mad dog, it seems like a worthy contender as well.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #18 of 22
I have the Pro 900's and i am still not sure if i completely like them. A few notes on them.

- I feel they have sibilant (harsh highs) at first but this went away on mine completely after A: burn in or after B: my ears were cleaned...I still don't know how ear cleaning would make the treble spikes roll of substantially...so I'm leaning towards it being a coincidence and just saying burn-in.
- I feel they have a "metallic" tonality that you will notice eventually.
- I never did notice the mids were recessed.
- The top of the headband hurts my head and gives me headaches.

I really want people if they are considering the PRO 900's...don't jump on them right away... do your research and consider alternatives especially the D2000's. People really love or hate the PRO 900's (Polarizing) and they seem to have a high turn over rate...

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:
I have the Pro 900's and i am still not sure if i completely like them. A few notes on them.

- I feel they have sibilant (harsh highs) at first but this went away on mine completely after A: burn in or after B: my ears were cleaned...I still don't know how ear cleaning would make the treble spikes roll of substantially...so I'm leaning towards it being a coincidence and just saying burn-in.
- I feel they have a "metallic" tonality that you will notice eventually.
- I never did notice the mids were recessed.
- The top of the headband hurts my head and gives me headaches.

I really want people if they are considering the PRO 900's...don't jump on them right away... do your research and consider alternatives especially the D2000's. People really love or hate the PRO 900's (Polarizing) and they seem to have a high turn over rate...

It took me 60-80 hours until treble settled in. Until then, the whole sound was changing quite a bit, and not on a natural progression, so while some headphones might have little to no hardware/mental burn-in, these definitely have.

The metallic tonality you speak of is there, mainly due to the titanium drivers, but that's something that does improve over time.

Bass and treble and so prominent that it makes mids look like they're more recessed than they actually are. The thing is that for such emphasis on both ends of the spectrum to occur, something's got to give.

I've seen people complaining about the top of the headband before, but I feel no discomfort whatsoever.

Overall, Ultrasone headphones (not just the Pro 900) are polarizing, mainly due to S-Logic. There is enough information around that when people go for that brand, they know the kind of signature they might expect.

D2000s are a nice general purpose alternative, but they are far too slow to handle EDM or metal, but they're nice for rock. I find the D5000 or D7000 to be better alternatives rather than the D2000, and even then they aren't that friendly with the genres the OP listens to.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #20 of 22
Denon's are said to leak a lot since they are semi-open, that's something I want to avoid. I'll try to go to a store with a return policy to see if I like the pro 900 and to see if the S-logic works with my ears. However, I won't be able to mod it until I actually plan on keeping.

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #21 of 22
I have a pair of kees-mod Pro 900 and a pair of modded T50RP, not Maddog but Thunderpants (Pao Ferro), with beyer gel pads. I also use NFB12 as a DAC and an amp. I personally think that the Pro 900's bass is a little too bloated and not as impactful as the Thunderpants (given that the bass are at the same level). The highs are a little brighter on the Pro 900 as well, and a little too bright for my taste. Thunderpants has a better separation, the Pro 900 is a little more detailed and less forgiving. The Pro 900's headband is definitely not comfortable and i don't think i ever have it on my head for more than an hour. Even though Thunderpants are heavier, i can let it sit on my head to 3-4 hours without any issues.

FYI: My main headphone is the Thunderpants; the Pro 900's kind of collecting dust.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:
hopefully someone will chime in and compare it with the mad dog. Have you by any chance heard the ath-m50? The mids in the m50 were a bit too recessed for me, are the mids in the pro 900 even more recessed?

Look, I don't know what the Pro 900 sounds like, but if you're a basshead and looking for rumbly, thumping bass Mad Dogs are NOT going to do it.  I had them for 6 days and both my Q40's and DT770's are basshead phones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back