Ultrasone Pro 900 vs any other closed back headphones
Aug 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ThegreatBoner

Head-Fier
I'm thinking of buying these headphones for on the go on a bus journey and so on. I won't be buying an amp, so was just wondering if these really needed an amp to sound good. I mostly listen to Rock and Rap.

If these do really need an amp to sound good can someone recommend another headphone which is closed and doesn't require an amp?

Should be less then £350 though

I know the post is quite messy and I'm really sorry abt that.

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:
I'm thinking of buying these headphones for on the go on a bus journey and so on. I won't be buying an amp, so was just wondering if these really needed an amp to sound good. I mostly listen to Rock and Rap.

If these do really need an amp to sound good can someone recommend another headphone which is closed and doesn't require an amp?

Should be less then £350 though

I know the post is quite messy and I'm really sorry abt that.

they don't require an amo, but one is recommended. 

other options that don't require an amp.
-hd 25
-v-moda m80
-ath-m50

that's all I can think of right now. You could wait for the v-moda m100 to come out but I'm not sure if it will require an amp or not.

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 21
Sennheiser Amperior seems to be really awesome for portability and sound and everything....

+1 VMODA M80 

+1 waiting for M100

Cheerz!

Aug 26, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:
Sennheiser Amperior seems to be really awesome for portability and sound and everything....

+1 VMODA M80 

+1 waiting for M100

Cheerz!

Quote: 
they don't require an amo, but one is recommended. 

other options that don't require an amp.
-hd 25
-v-moda m80
-ath-m50

that's all I can think of right now. You could wait for the v-moda m100 to come out but I'm not sure if it will require an amp or not.

You might also consider the Bose QC15, Bowers & Wilkins P5, or Ultrasone PRO750. But the PRO900 should drive just fine from an iPod or similar device.

I had a look at the amperiors but don't know if I'll like them as much on account of them being on-ear, same with the M-80. I already pre-ordered the M-100's but I had to cancel them because of the 45-60 day wait, I have issues with house changing and so on. 

I'm looking for something more high end, because I doubt I'm going to want to buy another headphone in a long time, so that's why I've been looking at the PRO 900. I've been looking on the appreciation thread for the PRO 900's and a lot of people say that they don't sound that amazing without an amp. 

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

I had a look at the amperiors but don't know if I'll like them as much on account of them being on-ear, same with the M-80. I already pre-ordered the M-100's but I had to cancel them because of the 45-60 day wait, I have issues with house changing and so on. 

I'm looking for something more high end, because I doubt I'm going to want to buy another headphone in a long time, so that's why I've been looking at the PRO 900. I've been looking on the appreciation thread for the PRO 900's and a lot of people say that they don't sound that amazing without an amp. 

well, they might, but I just feel that you would not be getting what you paid for, it would be like buying a 500 dollar headphone but it would sound like a 300 dollar headphone. This is just my opinion though, I've never heard the pro 900 so I don't know how they sound with or without an amp. something else I would like to point out is that the pro 900 is a basshead can so it wouldn't be that good for rock. My suggestion to you would be either a tma-1 studio or an AKG K550, both are great and don't require an amp, I think thats about as far as you can go without needing to buy an amp. Take my advice with a grain of salt though.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:
well, they might, but I just feel that you would not be getting what you paid for, it would be like buying a 500 dollar headphone but it would sound like a 300 dollar headphone. This is just my opinion though, I've never heard the pro 900 so I don't know how they sound with or without an amp. something else I would like to point out is that the pro 900 is a basshead can so it wouldn't be that good for rock. My suggestion to you would be either a tma-1 studio or an AKG K550, both are great and don't require an amp, I think thats about as far as you can go without needing to buy an amp. Take my advice with a grain of salt though.

Yh I guess you are right, I might as well keep looking, if I were to buy a portable amp would something like the FiiO E6 suffice? because this amp is only £20. I'll do a bit more searching and see what I can find, thanks for the help though!

Quote:
What exactly is your goal?

Whatcha mean?

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 21
Whatcha mean?

Ignoring brand, style, etc, what do you want the headphones to "do" for you? If mobile use is really your bag, I'd probably suggest looking at IEMs over full-size cans. If these are being used at home, I'd have some other suggestions than Ultrasone in mind, but at that ~$300 mark there's very few headphones I can think of that are "end game" worthy (especially that are also CLOSED).

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:
Ignoring brand, style, etc, what do you want the headphones to "do" for you? If mobile use is really your bag, I'd probably suggest looking at IEMs over full-size cans. If these are being used at home, I'd have some other suggestions than Ultrasone in mind, but at that ~$300 mark there's very few headphones I can think of that are "end game" worthy (especially that are also CLOSED).

Tbh, all I really need is a pair of headphones that are great for on the go and in the library (why they need to be closed) , I considered IEMs but I hate putting things in my ear, especially when with most IEMs you have to put them deep within your ear for the best results. I'd be using them with my S3 so not completely sure on amp or not. Yh I realized a few weeks ago that the Closed headphones section is really catered to badly in the $300 range :l

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #11 of 21
I'm owed an ultrasone pro900 for over a year now and i order the headphone together with an HE3 headstage arrow portable amp. I did the kees mod as recommended.
I put it into burning for like 100+ hours before listening to it.

First moment when i put it to use with my galaxy s2 phone was rather disappointing as it was not like what i expected. After that i realize that s2 quality, output and my song qualities suck.
I tried with my laptop and hifi player then i felt the difference. I realize that this headphone shows no mercy to lousy recordings but when you play with high quality files it shines.

I can say that the bass from this is very deep and impact is awesome depends on file quality. I used to have all my musics in mp3 low grade format and now i have most of my 
files in wav lossless. I also tried it with amp and without amp from my laptop on this phone. There is difference between them but don't expect another WOW. I don't really know
how to explain it audiophile terms but i feel that the bass got more punchier, separation of musics is clearer and everything is more refined from my Headstage arrow.

I also bought the J$ leather pad but haven't got the time to install that on the cups. I travel normally with my sling bag and pro900 is fold-able so i will have it with me sometimes and its
a close can therefore you won't have leakage of sound. I used to travel with my westone um2 but since i lost it i bring along pro900 sometimes. I do have beats studio for travel but i sold
it already cause it was all just hype after all. Once you tried pro900 quality u don't wanna downgrade yourself for anything less. Build quality for pro900 is also very good
not like beats very fragile. I travel with ipod touch and pro900 play well with amp or without amp with it so this can is not so hard to drive after all.

Recently i got an offer for Ultrasone Edition 8 for a decent price and i'm very tempt to get it. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:
I'm owed an ultrasone pro900 for over a year now and i order the headphone together with an HE3 headstage arrow portable amp. I did the kees mod as recommended.

First moment when i put it to use with my galaxy s2 phone was rather disappointing as it was not like what i expected. After that i realize that s2 quality, output and my song qualities suck.
I tried with my laptop and hifi player then i felt the difference. I realize that this headphone shows no mercy to lousy recordings but when you play with high quality files it shines.

I can say that the bass from this is very deep and impact is awesome depends on file quality. I used to have all my musics in mp3 low grade format and now i have most of my 
files in wav lossless. I also tried it with amp and without amp from my laptop on this phone. There is difference between them but don't expect another WOW. I don't really know
how to explain it audiophile terms but i feel that the bass got more punchier, separation of musics is clearer and everything is more refined from my Headstage arrow.

I also bought the J$ leather pad but haven't got the time to install that on the cups. I travel normally with my sling bag and pro900 is fold-able so i will have it with me sometimes and its
a close can therefore you won't have leakage of sound. I used to travel with my westone um2 but since i lost it i bring along pro900 sometimes. I do have beats studio for travel but i sold
it already cause it was all just hype after all. Once you tried pro900 quality u don't wanna downgrade yourself for anything less. Build quality for pro900 is also very good
not like beats very fragile. I travel with ipod touch and pro900 play well with amp or without amp with it so this can is not so hard to drive after all.

Recently i got an offer for Ultrasone Edition 8 for a decent price and i'm very tempt to get it. 

I think you've just helped me make my decision, gonna go for these, your post really did help! Thank you!!!

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

would you consider songs bought off of itunes to be enough or do you recommend a more high quality file? 

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
would you consider songs bought off of itunes to be enough or do you recommend a more high quality file? 

I never bought any songs before from itunes so i do not know what is the available source and file type. 

Quote:

I think you've just helped me make my decision, gonna go for these, your post really did help! Thank you!!!

I'm merely giving my 2 cents and glad that helped you. I just made an order for hisoundaudio studio-v player DAP waiting for shipment. 
I'm trying to get my hands on a Edition 8. If can get 1 i will sell of my pro900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back