Ultrasone Pro 900 questions?
Jun 2, 2012 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

arctyler

New Head-Fier
i got a few questions on the Ultrasone 900 headphones, and i got a lot of questions, so be prepared, here we go, on B&H Photo they are $329 unbalanced, and on amazon it doesn't say what they are and they are $370, are they the same thing, my guess was they are both unbalanced? and what is the difference between balanced and unbalanced, will i notice a difference if I'm just using them on my computer or Ipod? Also how portable are the Ultrasone Pro 900 headphones? i saw some pictures of them that showed them folded up and i saw some people say you cant fold them up, so i'm confused, and yes they were Ultrasone 900s in the picture and people said you cant fold them and they aren't very portable, and am i also going to have to buy a portable amp for them if i want to plug them into my iphone 4s? and if you can fold them up does anyone know of a good leather carrying pouch for them? and one last thing, off topic but does anyone know when they are going to come back in stock over at B&H? much appreciated for answers :p

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 8
Yes it folds just like in the picture and people say they're not portable because they're freaking huge, but i still take mine out as i don't have any other portable cans.
They sound ok out of an ipod/iphone but really good when amped.

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 8
Balanced headphones have XLR connectors, which are only usable with certain types of amps that have corresponding jacks.

Pro 900's are pretty darn big. They do indeed fold up like the picture, reducing the footprint, but are still pretty big at that.

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 8
The Ultrasone Pro 900

Firstly, i highly recommend an amp (fiio e11 is the one i use)
Secondly, i highly recommend a better mp3 player (i am selling a cowon s9) if you are buying such high quality headphones, i suggest having a high quality player with it
Third, they are fairly big and if you order from amazon, for example, they come with a carrying case and two cables. One regular (i think 3.5mm) input, and one 1/4 inch for plugging into, lets say a  keyboard, or a musical amplifier.
As for the amplifier - I have a cowon J3, which is considered top of the line of mp3 players, and even with that, because of their low sensitivity (96 or 94 db), without an amp, at high volumes, and ESPECIALLY with low quality music, you will hear distortion.
The amp i have is fairly cheap (~60 dollars or so), and comes with a low and high gain setting, as well as 0,1,2 Bass setting. If you are planning to use any player, especially the iphone, the amp will solve all your problems. The sound coming out of the amplifier will most likely satisfy you. Let me ask you this : what purpose are you planning to get these headphones for?
They reproduce sound very specifically, and are very heavy on the lows, but are also very clear and honest; with that being said, there is barely any toll on the mids, and i do not think that highs take any damage either. With an mp3 player that has a 5 band eq, for example, the slight toll on the mids can be fixed. When i say toll, i  mean, when the bass is cranked extremely high, on a very high quality track, the lows (and i cannot stress this enough) will SLIGHTLY bother the mids. I honestly am only saying this because ive read a few reviews that mention it, because i dont hear enough of any problems to warrant a complaint. These headphones are just magnificent. I have not heard many other full sized cans but i know from experience, after a burn in time, and an amplifier, the Lows and balance are their strongest suit. 

I know i havent answered all your questions, but if you have any questions regarding anything with these headphones, or compared to an IEM, feel free to message me!

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Does Pro900 work well with ipod classic without amp? Does its bass overpower the mids and high?
Do you think adding a DAC such as CLAS or Fostex will help to improve the sound of Pro900?

The Ultrasone Pro 900

Secondly, i highly recommend a better mp3 player (i am selling a cowon s9) if you are buying such high quality headphones, i suggest having a high quality player with it
Third, they are fairly big and if you order from amazon, for example, they come with a carrying case and two cables. One regular (i think 3.5mm) input, and one 1/4 inch for plugging into, lets say a  keyboard, or a musical amplifier.
As for the amplifier - I have a cowon J3, which is considered top of the line of mp3 players, and even with that, because of their low sensitivity (96 or 94 db), without an amp, at high volumes, and ESPECIALLY with low quality music, you will hear distortion.
The amp i have is fairly cheap (~60 dollars or so), and comes with a low and high gain setting, as well as 0,1,2 Bass setting. If you are planning to use any player, especially the iphone, the amp will solve all your problems. The sound coming out of the amplifier will most likely satisfy you. Let me ask you this : what purpose are you planning to get these headphones for?
They reproduce sound very specifically, and are very heavy on the lows, but are also very clear and honest; with that being said, there is barely any toll on the mids, and i do not think that highs take any damage either. With an mp3 player that has a 5 band eq, for example, the slight toll on the mids can be fixed. When i say toll, i  mean, when the bass is cranked extremely high, on a very high quality track, the lows (and i cannot stress this enough) will SLIGHTLY bother the mids. I honestly am only saying this because ive read a few reviews that mention it, because i dont hear enough of any problems to warrant a complaint. These headphones are just magnificent. I have not heard many other full sized cans but i know from experience, after a burn in time, and an amplifier, the Lows and balance are their strongest suit. 

I know i havent answered all your questions, but if you have any questions regarding anything with these headphones, or compared to an IEM, feel free to message me!
The Ultrasone Pro 900

Users who are viewing this thread

Back