Ultrasone Pro 900 balanced headphones from B&H photo video
Mar 5, 2012 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

KingOfTheWild

Formerly known as kingalekay.
Hey yall, I was just looking at the B&H website and saw that they were selling a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900 headphones that were touted as 'balanced' . . . I would like to know if those phones have a significant difference in sound quality over the regular Pro 900's. And if so what is their sound signature? Also I would like it if yall would answer my poll.

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 17
I have a pair of 900's I  got balanced by Drew at Moon Audio. The difference before and after was dramatic. The bass cleaned up nice and become much more precise and the high end was tamed down quite a bit. I also started to hear some of the elusive mids. I was so impressed with the results that I then bought the new Signature PRO's and had Moon Audio balance them as well. Now they sound RIDICULOUS and I have a pair of balanced 900's for sale lol.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
I have a pair of 900's I  got balanced by Drew at Moon Audio. The difference before and after was dramatic. The bass cleaned up nice and become much more precise and the high end was tamed down quite a bit. I also started to hear some of the elusive mids. I was so impressed with the results that I then bought the new Signature PRO's and had Moon Audio balance them as well. Now they sound RIDICULOUS and I have a pair of balanced 900's for sale lol.

I can't find balance options for headphones on the moon audio website. Can you show me where?

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 17
Just call there and speak to Drew. Black Dragon balanced cabling cost me $ 270.

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 17
In answer to your questions obobskivich, they are new headphones not used and they cost $700 . . . so I guess it would be cheaper to buy a cheaper unbalanced pair and send them in to get balanced by Moon Audio?

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 17

Given that Pro900's can be found for $300-$400 brand new, and recabling is probably $300 or less, you might save *some* money by buying them separately and sending them in. But it isn't likely to be substantial. What I'd be more interested in is what other options you have a $700; that's getting into electrostat territory (Koss ESP/950 and STAX SR-207/307 are both within that range), as well as a few planars (which I have no experience with) and is starting to approach "flagship dynamic" turf (AT W1000X/A2000X/AD2000/W5000, Ultrasone Ed8/SigPro, Denon D7000, etc); there's a lot of options at that price point. So basically what I'd be asking myself, if this were me, is "do I really love the sound of the Pro 900?" - if the answer is yes, this is probably the choice for you, if the answer is no, I would probably at least consider some of the other options given the price. 

Quote:
In answer to your questions obobskivich, they are new headphones not used and they cost $700 . . . so I guess it would be cheaper to buy a cheaper unbalanced pair and send them in to get balanced by Moon Audio?

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
Given that Pro900's can be found for $300-$400 brand new, and recabling is probably $300 or less, you might save *some* money by buying them separately and sending them in. But it isn't likely to be substantial. What I'd be more interested in is what other options you have a $700; that's getting into electrostat territory (Koss ESP/950 and STAX SR-207/307 are both within that range), as well as a few planars (which I have no experience with) and is starting to approach "flagship dynamic" turf (AT W1000X/A2000X/AD2000/W5000, Ultrasone Ed8/SigPro, Denon D7000, etc); there's a lot of options at that price point. So basically what I'd be asking myself, if this were me, is "do I really love the sound of the Pro 900?" - if the answer is yes, this is probably the choice for you, if the answer is no, I would probably at least consider some of the other options given the price. 

I don't care about either electrostatic or planars as I want portable headphones.

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #13 of 17

Then you should not buy balanced headphones, at all, they shouldn't even be on the table; very much a desktop/home-use thing. Hence the suggestions to look elsewhere.

If you want the Pro900, get the Pro900; they're $300-$400 when on sale, and $400-$500 when not on sale. If you want to spend more money just to spend it, the Signature Pro would probably be a good place to start.
Quote:
I don't care about either electrostatic or planars as I want portable headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back