Ultrasone PRO 750/900 vs 2900
Feb 3, 2012 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Crazy*Carl

500+ Head-Fier
I have Sennheiser HD580 and I am need of a headphone that leaks less sound.  The HD580 are almost like mini speakers.  I don't necessarily need closed headphones, they can be open as long as they do not leak much sound. 

Can anyone comment on the sound leakage of open model Ultrasones (HFI 2200/2400, PRO 2500/2900).  I strongly prefer open sound, but only if there is minimal leakage.  Judging by the look of the open Ultrasones vs Sennheiser HD580+, it looks like they leak alot less, as they are only open in a small circle around the drivers.

My source is my Intel High def audio, which is moderately powerful.

Also, what is the big difference between the 750 and 900?  Pricing is not a factor at all.  I don't need tons of bass, but I wouldn't mind more than the HD580.

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 4
Heya,

All open models leak. All of them. There isn't one that just leaks "less" to the point of it not sounding like an open-air. Do some leak a lot more than others? Yes. But it's such a small amount that it's not worth really using as a guide line. If leaking is a problem, then open-air is simply not going to work.

If you want to minimize leaking while retaining the sound stage benefits of an open-air, look at some closed headphones that have great sound stage.

Your next headphone: Denon D2000 (or Denon D5000 if you can save up for a used one).

Very best,

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 4
I am aware of the differences, but I am asking anyone who has open ultrasones to comment on them.

I don't think the difference is little, my hd485 leaked very little and was open.  It was also a terrible headphone, but that's besides the point.  It still had a airy open sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back