ultrasone pro 750/2500 vs DT 880 ???
Jul 23, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by wazzupi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone give me a little information about these stax or electrostratic headphones ? From what i've noticed people sell them and thats it. So i'm guessing if they break i won't be able to repair them correct ? Also i like the look of the lambda and its suppose to be very good as well, So any info on these headphones would be great. I'm still leaning towards the pro2500 since i can get them for 275 shipped (brand new) i saw the dt880 260ish brand new (05 edition) but It's going to be harder to drive and i don't really want headphones that need a tube amp to get most out of it and pro2500 > dt880 in that department.

From my research i've noticed pro2500>dt880 in everything but soundstage (but by very little). Dt880 might be overkill on that i'd rather have the detail of pro2500 which has a good enough soundstage. I own a pair of HD595 they were ok but sounds were drowning with each other. I couldn't really tell where anything was plus one side is dead now and i need new headphones (warranty is done). I think stax are doable with the amp they come with, I can live traveling with those headphones.

Thanks for your input guys making it tough for me.

The ultrasone Pro 2500 have great detail, but so do the DT880s. The DT880s have considerably more soundstage then the Pro2500s; the difference is more then just a little. Plus the DT880s are ALOT more comfortable. The ear pads are softer and much thicker, and your outer ear will not touch the inside of the cup.

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #17 of 41
Grado GS-1000

I didn't buy them for gaming particularly though
biggrin.gif
. But they have a really large soundstage so pinpointing the direction of the enemy is easy. It also has slightly recessed mids. That means that explosions are big, while you can hear footsteps really well. GS-1000 is also very detailed and instrument separation is very good.

Once I heard footsteps for a second, turned around and couldn't believe that there is somebody because the corner was really far away... but in the next moment someone really came out of that corner. It's incredible how you can hear footsteps that are far away with the GS-1000.

Oh... and they're comfortable
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ultrasone Pro 2500 have great detail, but so do the DT880s. The DT880s have considerably more soundstage then the Pro2500s; the difference is more then just a little. Plus the DT880s are ALOT more comfortable. The ear pads are softer and much thicker, and your outer ear will not touch the inside of the cup.

I like how I don't really need an amp for pro 2500 and its foldable I like the look a little better and everyone tells me the pro2500 has noticable amount of detail not as good soundstage as the dt880. I really don't think having a really huge soundstage actually helps more because i could hear someone from half the map away but i could get confused and think he is close which actually doesn't help because my attention gets drawn away from the person Who might be around the corner originally in front of you and then you basically die :p. i'd rather have the ability to pinpoint people that are close to me rather then farther away.

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

I like how I don't really need an amp for pro 2500 and its foldable I like the look a little better and everyone tells me the pro2500 has noticable amount of detail not as good soundstage as the dt880. I really don't think having a really huge soundstage actually helps more because i could hear someone from half the map away but i could get confused and think he is close which actually doesn't help because my attention gets drawn away from the person Who might be around the corner originally in front of you and then you basically die :p. i'd rather have the ability to pinpoint people that are close to me rather then farther away.

Your reasoning for not wanting a large soundstage is... interesting. Having the largest soundstage possible in a headphone will make it more speaker like, and real for gaming. You will never get to the point of having too much soundstage with headphones. It is absurd to think that the sound stage will be so huge in any headphone, that you would get confused on positioning. The larger the soundstage, the better spatial positioning you'll have, not the other way around.

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #20 of 41
i see. it was just a hypothesis my lack of experience with headphones is why i thought of that. But my problem (with my HD595) the noises ingame sound like they are drowning and blending in with each other ? if i were to buy one of these headphones would that be some what eliminated ?

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Can someone give me a little information about these stax or electrostratic headphones ?

What do you wanna know about them? My knowledge is only limited to the SR-Lambda.

There are countless threads about Stax in general, you just need to use the search function.
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #23 of 41
OK, you asked for help deciding so I'm going to try to give you help deciding.

Regarding amping The Pro 750 or Pro 2500 vs. DT 880:
My understanding is that the Pro 750 or 2500 are easier to "drive" than the DT 880. That having been said, while the DT 880 is a fine sounding headphone, I prefer either the Pro 750 or the Pro 2500 over the DT 880.

Although I am not a "gamer", I will attempt to address your specific requirements based on (second-hand knowledge) what people who told me they are "gamers" said they look for in a headphone.
1. Sound Stage. My understanding is that "gamers" generally want a wide sound stage. The DT 880 and both of the Pro's have wide sound stages. I'm not sure which one has the widest "in your head" sound stage, but when you factor in to the equation the "outside of your head" sounds produced by the full Pro 750 or 2500 sound stage, the Pro's sound stage is wider.
2. Bass and lot of it. The DT 880 produces very good sounding bass. The Pro 2500's bass is also very good and probably somewhat better than the DT 880, IMO. But, the best sounding bass of these three (and others) is definitely the Pro 750 which has a tight, beautifully textured, clean bass that, like the other frequencies, is exactly what the Sound Engineer (who recorded the music) intended the listener to hear, IMO. If the bass (as it was originally recorded) is meant to sound "boomy and heavy" it will sound "boomy and heavy" in the Pro 750's. If it was meant to sound "light and delicate" it will sound "light and delicate" in the Pro 750's.
3. Isolation. The best isolation is with the Pro 750's because it is a "closed" headphone. The other two are either "open" or "semi-open" headphones.
4. Detail. Even though "gamers" want a wide sound stage, they also want to hear the finest audio detail such as a pin dropping on the floor. All of these headphones offer excellent detail but if I had to choose one over the others it would be the Pro 750. Here is an example of the Pro 750's detail: I have a recording of a symphony orchestra playing a Mozart piece. There is one part where the orchestra is playing accompaniment to a unison clarinet solo. I know this is very interesting to you so far but the point I want you to understand about this is that when the clarinets are playing amongst this approximately 40 piece orchestra, when listening via the Pro 750's, one is able to hear the "clicking" of the valves on the clarinets as the clarinetists play. I have also been able to hear the movement of the dampening pedal on a piano as the pianist applies his foot.
Be warned: The Ultrasone sound stage is like none other you've ever heard before. It is not the typical left-middle-right in your head sound stage of most headphones. In my signature area look for "The Sound of the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) 750 Headphones". The first post of that thread describes how I hear the Pro 750 sound stage. You will notice in that thread that some disagree. One person implied (in the form of a question, if I recall correctly) that I might have taken some type of drug that caused me to hear the Pro 750 sound stage the way I describe. I don't take drugs, by the way.
You will also see comments from those who agreed with my description of the Pro 750 sound stage.
2nd warning: The Pro 750 requires extensive burn in time. Do not judge the sound of this headphone right out of the box because you may have a somewhat negative impression if you do. This is one headphone that definitely improves with a long burn in duration period. Once it is burned in it is a beautiful sounding headphone, IMO.
So, there you are: My recommendation for you is the Pro 750. The Proline 750, sound-wise, is the same headphone according to ultrapaul, the Ultrasone representative here on Head-Fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, I'm probably going to "mess-up" everything by asking you the following question:
Don't you also need an attached microphone?
eek.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, you asked for help deciding so I'm going to try to give you help deciding.

Regarding amping The Pro 750 or Pro 2500 vs. DT 880:
My understanding is that the Pro 750 or 2500 are easier to "drive" than the DT 880. That having been said, while the DT 880 is a fine sounding headphone, I prefer either the Pro 750 or the Pro 2500 over the DT 880.

Although I am not a "gamer", I will attempt to address your specific requirements based on (second-hand knowledge) what people who told me they are "gamers" said they look for in a headphone.
1. Sound Stage. My understanding is that "gamers" generally want a wide sound stage. The DT 880 and both of the Pro's have wide sound stages. I'm not sure which one has the widest "in your head" sound stage, but when you factor in to the equation the "outside of your head" sounds produced by the full Pro 750 or 2500 sound stage, the Pro's sound stage is wider.
2. Bass and lot of it. The DT 880 produces very good sounding bass. The Pro 2500's bass is also very good and probably somewhat better than the DT 880, IMO. But, the best sounding bass of these three (and others) is definitely the Pro 750 which has a tight, beautifully textured, clean bass that, like the other frequencies, is exactly what the Sound Engineer (who recorded the music) intended the listener to hear, IMO. If the bass (as it was originally recorded) is meant to sound "boomy and heavy" it will sound "boomy and heavy" in the Pro 750's. If it was meant to sound "light and delicate" it will sound "light and delicate" in the Pro 750's.
3. Isolation. The best isolation is with the Pro 750's because it is a "closed" headphone. The other two are either "open" or "semi-open" headphones.
4. Detail. Even though "gamers" want a wide sound stage, they also want to hear the finest audio detail such as a pin dropping on the floor. All of these headphones offer excellent detail but if I had to choose one over the others it would be the Pro 750. Here is an example of the Pro 750's detail: I have a recording of a symphony orchestra playing a Mozart piece. There is one part where the orchestra is playing accompaniment to a unison clarinet solo. I know this is very interesting to you so far but the point I want you to understand about this is that when the clarinets are playing amongst this approximately 40 piece orchestra, when listening via the Pro 750's, one is able to hear the "clicking" of the valves on the clarinets as the clarinetists play. I have also been able to hear the movement of the dampening pedal on a piano as the pianist applies his foot.
Be warned: The Ultrasone sound stage is like none other you've ever heard before. It is not the typical left-middle-right in your head sound stage of most headphones. In my signature area look for "The Sound of the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) 750 Headphones". The first post of that thread describes how I hear the Pro 750 sound stage. You will notice in that thread that some disagree. One person implied (in the form of a question, if I recall correctly) that I might have taken some type of drug that caused me to hear the Pro 750 sound stage the way I describe. I don't take drugs, by the way.
You will also see comments from those who agreed with my description of the Pro 750 sound stage.
2nd warning: The Pro 750 requires extensive burn in time. Do not judge the sound of this headphone right out of the box because you may have a somewhat negative impression if you do. This is one headphone that definitely improves with a long burn in duration period. Once it is burned in it is a beautiful sounding headphone, IMO.
So, there you are: My recommendation for you is the Pro 750. The Proline 750, sound-wise, is the same headphone according to ultrapaul, the Ultrasone representative here on Head-Fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, I'm probably going to "mess-up" everything by asking you the following question:
Don't you also need an attached microphone?
eek.gif

I don't mean to be rude, but every single post in various threads i've seen of yours, you recommend Ultrasone over everything else, regardless of application. Do you recommend anything else besides ultrasone? lol!

For example, while i think the beyer DT880 '05s are one of the best dynamic headphones for gaming and movies/DVD's (i'm a hardcore gamer), i don't think the same for music. The Ultrasones are the best at everything, in your opinion.

I disagree with everything you have stated, except number 3, simply because they are closed they will have better isolation.

Detail... the DT880s are well known for their great detail. And are recommend solely on this attribute. They are so detailed that many think they are too analytical for music, because they bring out too many of the flaws in the recoding. While i agree that the ultrasones in general have great detail, they don't better the DT880s in the least bit.

And most of all i disagree with about is the ultrasones soundstage. I have not experienced a large soundstage on any of the ultrasone headphones that i've tried. They all have been significantly small in both depth and width. Especially their closed headphones. They don't even begin to compare to the DT880s in soundstage. I don't know if there is some ultrsone slogic magic that i have to train my ears to hear their unheard of large soundstage, but i and many other just do not hear it.

They only reason i'd recommend the ultrasone 7500, or any thing ultrasone over the DT880s for gaming, is that they will drive better without an amp. That is it. But regardless, both headphones will sound better with a good headphone amp.

But to each his own. Everybody has different opinions, and because everyone has different ears, things will sound different to them. Sometimes the difference is small, and other times it is large. The best bet for anyone is to try both headphones, and send back the one you like the least. Just make sure wherever you get them form has a good return policy.

Jul 26, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #26 of 41
As a longtime CS'er, I can give some pretty good insight here. In terms of gaming - it depends what your looking for. If your just looking for a "fun" sounding headphone for games that don't require you to hear exactly where the sound is - then you'll want something with some bass. However, if you are like me in that you need to hear exactly where the footsteps are coming from - you will *need* a pair of open headphones. Closed cans simply don't offer the soundstage, and almost always have bloated bass which will drown out the more delicate sounds like footsteps or dropped/picked up guns ect.

If the type of headphone is the "fun" one your looking for, the ultrasones would be a fine choice (although tbh I think its pretty overkill for what your using them for - perhaps look into a cheaper pair of sennheisers). However, for the latter type of gaming, I would suggest, as others had, a good soundstage open pair. Personally I have the AD900's and I think their absolutely fantastic. When I turn my X-fi on gaming and turn the volume up people think I'm cheating because I can hear people clear across the map. I'm sure the HD 595s or DT's aren't bad either.

Also, all closed headphones come with a degree of uncomfortably (the ultrasones being no exception). Open headphones will be far more comfortable for when your playing for a while.

edit: also, your going to want a low impedence headphone, there is no need to get one that will require an amp. Many of the closed headphones won't go below 70 or so ohms, which is ok, but I wouldn't go much higher. (My ad900s are 35 ohms and I listen to them at about 30%-40% volume from my x-fi - no distortion)

Hope that helps.

Jul 26, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by RealDealz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..you will *need* a pair of open headphones.

What closed headphones have you tried ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealDealz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I have the AD900's and I think their absolutely fantastic.

I have the ad900's too, and I think they're absolutely horrible for gaming compared to my
pl750's, which are closed. Pin-point imaging, and pretty much everything else, is simply a lot better on the 750's. I'm a competitive gamer too, and I would not recommend the ad900 for gaming.

I personally most likely wont get open headphones ever again. Closed headphone gives a lot more intimate music/gaming experience for me and atleast the 750's, on my head, are very comfortable.

Jul 26, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean to be rude, but every single post in various threads i've seen of yours, you recommend Ultrasone over everything else, regardless of application. Do you recommend anything else besides ultrasone? lol!

For example, while i think the beyer DT880 '05s are one of the best dynamic headphones for gaming and movies/DVD's (i'm a hardcore gamer), i don't think the same for music. The Ultrasones are the best at everything, in your opinion.

I disagree with everything you have stated, except number 3, simply because they are closed they will have better isolation.

Detail... the DT880s are well known for their great detail. And are recommend solely on this attribute. They are so detailed that many think they are too analytical for music, because they bring out too many of the flaws in the recoding. While i agree that the ultrasones in general have great detail, they don't better the DT880s in the least bit.

And most of all i disagree with about is the ultrasones soundstage. I have not experienced a large soundstage on any of the ultrasone headphones that i've tried. They all have been significantly small in both depth and width. Especially their closed headphones. They don't even begin to compare to the DT880s in soundstage. I don't know if there is some ultrsone slogic magic that i have to train my ears to hear their unheard of large soundstage, but i and many other just do not hear it.

They only reason i'd recommend the ultrasone 7500, or any thing ultrasone over the DT880s for gaming, is that they will drive better without an amp. That is it. But regardless, both headphones will sound better with a good headphone amp.

But to each his own. Everybody has different opinions, and because everyone has different ears, things will sound different to them. Sometimes the difference is small, and other times it is large. The best bet for anyone is to try both headphones, and send back the one you like the least. Just make sure wherever you get them form has a good return policy.

I wrote this before: You will notice in my posts that I have either recommended or "discussed" from a stand point of experience only 3 of the Ultrasone headphones, the 650, 750 and the 2500. (About 4 days ago, for the first time, I heard another Ultrasone headphone which was the HFI 450. I will reserve comment on that headphone because it was a new, not burned-in at all headphone and I listened to it for a short period of time. Consequently, it would not be "fair" for me to make any comment about it.) My point here is I am not, in a broad sense, recommending Ultrasone (primarily because of a lack of familiarity with the complete Ultrasone line of products) but I am recommending those Ultrasone products with which I have experience specifically in situations where I believe that product would be applicable.

You asked if I ever recommend other brands. Yes, I have. Only a few days ago, in attempting to take every criteria of a poster into account, I suggested the DT 990. Even in this post, I stated that the DT 880 is a fine sounding headphone. And, I will add that a person would do very well to own one. I am not saying anything at all against the DT 880. (Although I have read some comments by those who don't like it for one reason or another, similar to probably every other headphone "discussed" in these forums.) For the useage of the O.P., all things considered, I believe the O.P., would be better off with the Pro 750. But, then, one factor I must consider is that I am not a "gamer" and my knowledge of the requirements of a "gamer" are purely secondary, dependant on what others who claim to be "gamers" have told me.

Yes, I "lean toward" the Pro 750 because, in a general sense, it is the best sounding headphone I've ever heard. There are some that I haven't heard, though. And, no, I don't recommend it for every application. If someone, for example, is looking for a portable headphone they could use while they exercise, for that application I would not recommend the Pro 750.

I have listened to the Pro 750's for music and for movies and, without doubt, to my ears, it is the best of the headphones I've heard for those applications. Gaming, on the other hand, as previously indicated, I'm not so sure about.

Regarding detail: In my post I indicated that all three of the headphones afforded great detail but if I had to choose one over the others it would be the 750. There is a challenge here that I am going to attempt to "illustrate". Have you ever seen those "magic eye" pictures? They're the ones that when one first looks at them, they look like a grouping of odd shapes meshed together. But, if you keep looking at the picture, or some say "Look through it.", you begin to see the hidden airplane or tiger or whatever the hidden picture happens to be. In an auditory sense, this figuratively equates to the way that the Pro 750's sound stage is eventually heard by some people.
And, until one is capable of hearing the full sound stage of the Pro 750, all of the detail (and other auditory aspects) are not going to be heard. This, by the way, was not originally my opinion but rather the opinion of those who were familiar with the Ultrasone sound stage long before I first became familiar with Ultrasone.
What I am talking about here has been referred to as "brain burn in". And, from personal experience I can attest that it actually exists. I am fortunate in that, for whatever reason, I was able to hear more of the Pro 750's sound stage, initially (more or less), than some are capable of hearing. However, there have been advancements in my ability to hear even more of the Pro 750 sound stage, enabling me to hear even greater detail, scope and texture. And (I realize that what I'm about to write delves into matters of a subjective nature), until two people are capable of hearing the Pro 750 sound stage in, at least, a somewhat similar way, it would be difficult for them to make comparisons on such things as detail among other auditory aspects. When not hearing the sound stage in the same way, one person would be able to hear sounds that the other one would not be able to hear. I know this probably sounds unbelievable to you.

You said (in essence) that you and "many others" do not hear the "full" Pro 750 sound stage. In response, I will state that there are also many others who do hear it. Indeed, there is a huge Ultrasone thread (in these forums) "occupied" by those who truly enjoy the Ultrasone sound stage.

I definitely agree with you on two points:
1. Different people have different hearing perceptions;
2. The O.P. would be extremely well advised to hear these headphones for him or her self and make a decision based on his or her individual hearing perception.

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #29 of 41
Amped DT880 is way better than PL750, details, soundstage and accuracy is a leap above Ultrasones.
Having said that, 250Ohm DT880 might be very bass shy, depending on the amplification, they never worked for me with SS amps, but it was reported that tube amp fixes that quite nicely.
600Ohm version does not have that problem, has smoother, slightly warmer signature and well articulated and authoritative bass. Overall sounds juicier than 250Ohm counterpart which could feel dry sometimes.

To Peter Pinna, you really should try some other phones.
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #30 of 41
Foehammer

I noticed you owned a HD-595 and you do own the DT880.
So my question is how do they compare because i too own a HD595 and IMO they suck for gaming they have decent details but soundstage is probably the worst.

also thanks everyone for your response its making it harder for me but i will figure it out :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back