ultrasone pro 750/2500 vs DT 880 ???
Jul 26, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amped DT880 is way better than PL750, details, soundstage and accuracy is a leap above Ultrasones.
Having said that, 250Ohm DT880 might be very bass shy, depending on the amplification, they never worked for me with SS amps, but it was reported that tube amp fixes that quite nicely.
600Ohm version does not have that problem, has smoother, slightly warmer signature and well articulated and authoritative bass. Overall sounds juicier than 250Ohm counterpart which could feel dry sometimes.

To Peter Pinna, you really should try some other phones.
wink.gif

Andrew_WOT,
First, I respectfully disagree with you. My opinion, once again, is that the Pro 750's are slightly more detailed than the 880's. I would go so far as to say that they may be evenly matched in some aspects of detail as well as in other respects but there is no way, IMO, that the "soundstage and accuracy is a leap above" the Pro 750. If you believe that to be true, your hearing perception must be very different than mine.
I have used many other headphones under professional circumstances over a 30 year period. While it is true there are headphones I have not heard, do not assume because I prefer the Pro 750, that they are the only ones I have heard. I speak about the Pro 750's frequently because I prefer them to the others I've heard. My suggestion to you is that you also "should try" to listen more to "some other phones" and that perhaps you would be well served to listen more and attentively to the Ultrasone Pro's because maybe, hopefully, then, you could begin to appreciate what I and others appreciate about them.
(Please re-read the part of my post about "brain burn in" which possibly explains the difference in our hearing perception.)

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Amped DT880 is way better than PL750, details, soundstage and accuracy is a leap above Ultrasones.

i disagree with that. the only thing the dt880 does better imo is soundstage.

but despite my opinion, i'd recommend the dt880 because it's hard to beat the beyer soundstage for gaming. bass isn't really a problem because on a computer (and especially with a card like the x-fi) since you can boost the bass anyways. also, sound quality isn't of great concern when gaming since the sounds they use in games are compressed low bitrate mp3s or comparable quality formats (that's not to say that some games don't have great sound...COD4 for example). so, you'll be hard pressed to find the difference between a $500 headphone and a $100 headphone when gaming (music's a different story).

lastly, i find beyers to be supremely comfortable. for long stretches of gaming, you'll want something comfortable, and the dt880 beats the prolines hands down in that department.

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i disagree with that. the only thing the dt880 does better imo is soundstage.

but despite my opinion, i'd recommend the dt880 because it's hard to beat the beyer soundstage for gaming. bass isn't really a problem because on a computer (and especially with a card like the x-fi) since you can boost the bass anyways. also, sound quality isn't of great concern when gaming since the sounds they use in games are compressed low bitrate mp3s or comparable quality formats (that's not to say that some games don't have great sound...COD4 for example). so, you'll be hard pressed to find the difference between a $500 headphone and a $100 headphone when gaming (music's a different story).

lastly, i find beyers to be supremely comfortable. for long stretches of gaming, you'll want something comfortable, and the dt880 beats the prolines hands down in that department.

Shahrose,
I yield to your opinion regarding the sound stage issue as it pertains to gaming because, as I've written before, I am not a "gamer" and exactly what type of sound stage (other than the vague description "wide") is required or preferable for gaming is, from first hand knowledge and experience, unknown to me.
Upon initial wearing, I agree that the beyers are more comfortable then the Pro 750's. And, while the Pro 750's eventually become more comfortable, if you were to use equally from the very start of their useage, the Pro 750's and the DT 880's, throughout the duration of their useage, the DT 880's would probably always be more comfortable. That is not to say that I find the Pro 750's to be uncomfortable. Actually, the opposite is true. However, as previously indicated, in a general sense, I think the DT 880's are more comfortable.
The question I have, at this point, is does the O.P. want this much comfort when gaming. If the O.P is too comfortable he may become too relaxed and, consequently, lose the game or worse, he or she could fall asleep while listening to the DT 880's in the Airport Terminal while waiting to fly to the big international championship game somewhere thereby "letting down" all of his country's fellow citizens who supported him or her as the one person they thought they could count on.
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by wazzupi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've noticed a huge difference in every game i've played between 555 to 595 so um I don't believe thats true. (gaming wise)

those 2 headphones in particular...they sound similar even when listening to music, so i'm surprised that you notice a huge difference when gaming...quite hard to believe.

when i use the rp-21 for example, there's no difference in sound quality coming from the prolines or the dt990. yes, the tonal balance is different for each headphone, so each one emphasizes different parts of the sound but that doesn't mean one is better than the other. in terms of detail, dynamics, even extension, the difference between these headphones is negligible when gaming since sound effects in games are not too demanding for high quality headphones that are being discussed here. the difference i hear is mostly in soundstage but i'm excluding that aspect when i talk about sound quality strictly.

i've gamed a lot and i really think any headphone above $100 is overkill for it. i believe the rp-21 is a good example of a pair of headphones that could perform 90% as well as other much higher priced headphones for gaming.

Jul 26, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My suggestion to you is that you also "should try" to listen more to "some other phones" and that perhaps you would be well served to listen more and attentively to the Ultrasone Pro's because maybe, hopefully, then, you could begin to appreciate what I and others appreciate about them.

Cool, I am all open minded, what these "other" phones would be?
cool.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Foehammer

I noticed you owned a HD-595 and you do own the DT880.
So my question is how do they compare because i too own a HD595 and IMO they suck for gaming they have decent details but soundstage is probably the worst.

also thanks everyone for your response its making it harder for me but i will figure it out :p.

I was not impressed with the 595s for gaming. The soundstage was too small, and everything sounded canned. Detail was all right, and they are very comfortable (much more comfortable then the ultrasones), but the DT880s and akg k601s are the most comfortable headphones i've tried. And both have the largest soundstages that i've ever tried.

Jul 27, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

I've noticed a huge difference in every game i've played between 555 to 595 so um I don't believe thats true. (gaming wise)

Agreed. I notice a large difference in the headphones i've owned, with respect to gaming.

Jul 27, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Cool, I am all open minded, what these "other" phones would be?
cool.gif

My suggestion was to "listen more" to other phones. I was referring to the Ultrasone Pro's and the Ed 9's. I have not heard the Ed 9's, myself.

Jul 27, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My suggestion was to "listen more" to other phones. I was referring to the Ultrasone Pro's and the Ed 9's. I have not heard the Ed 9's, myself.

Not sure what you are trying to say here.
I need to listen Ed.9, which you have not heard, in order to fully appreciate PL750? Having PL750 for a month and extensively comparing them to other phones and eventually dumping as totally not worthy is not enough?
confused.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Not sure what you are trying to say here.
I need to listen Ed.9, which you have not heard, in order to fully appreciate PL750? Having PL750 for a month and extensively comparing them to other phones and eventually dumping as totally not worthy is not enough?
confused.gif

I thought it would be a good idea if you listened extensively to the Pro 750's and /or the Ed 9's so that you might eventually hear the sound stage. But, from what you wrote, apparently you've already done this with the 750's and you didn't like them.
If that's you in the picture you use as an avatar, I don't doubt that you didn't like them. Your ears are much too big for Pro 750's. It's no wonder you couldn't hear their magnificent sound stage. Maybe Ultrasone would custom build a pair of headphones to fit those ears. What headphones do you like to use? They must be huge!
But, seriously, hearing perception amazes and fascinates me. As I type this, I am listening to Mozart's Piano Concerto #9 via the Proline 750's and, to me, it's musical Nirvana. Over the span of some 30 years, because of involvement in recording projects I've heard a lot of headphones. Most of them would probably be considered to be on the high end of studio grade headphones. Oddly enough, it has only been within the past 10 to 15 years that I've heard of studios using what might be considered as audiophile headphones. I started making a deliberate study of audiophile headphones about a year ago. Not all of them were available for comparison. But of the ones I compared I liked the Proline 750's best.
Do you dislike the Ultrasone headphones generally or do you only dislike the Pro 750's? What is the reason you dislike them? Is it the sound stage or what? I'm just curious.
I really think that saying that you dumped the Proline 750's because they were "totally not worthy" is very much over-stating the case, now don't you? All joking aside (about the big mouse ears) it truly amazes me that there are some, like yourself, who do not appreciate how beautiful the Pro 750's sound. Seriously, I would like to know what headphone you use on a regular basis and why you like it enough to deem it "worthy".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back