Ultrasone PRO 550 vs Monster Beats PRO vs Sennheiser HD 212 PRO
Apr 21, 2012 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tranceporter

New Head-Fier
Right, this is going to be a long post, so please bear with me. For the last 5 years I have tried about 7-8 different types of earbuds and over the ear headphones. My very first pair of headphones were some Altec Lansing I picked up in a Best Buy store for $45. Pretty meh. I then stumbled upon Sennheiser HD212 Pro, and dear god they were good. I am on my 2nd pair now, I still dig their bass. I also bought a V moda bass freq in 2008, and they are a great pair of earbuds. I got bored of listening to the same type of sound quality, so I started searching for something different, which would offer me similar levels of bass but with better soundstage. I then bought a pair of Scosche IDR 655m, and they are even better than Vmoda bass freq, in terms of bass and better soundstage. While earbuds are great for portable use with my iphone or sony MP3 player, headphones are awesome for home use. So I started a search to upgrade my HD212 pros. That's when I stumbled on this awesome forum. I have been a lurker here for 6 months, and finally decided to sign up!
I had a listen to various headphones in HMV store, and apple store. I liked the Monster beats pro, so I bought a detox edition. Now trust me, the bass from Monster beats pro is nowhere near HD212 pro, but I liked the wider soundstage. Now, I have a macbook pro 2011 at home, which I use to listen my music from. Not a great onboard card i know, but thats what I have currently. If I fire up windows media player, and push the Tru Bass button to 80%, the beats pro start developing a nice bowel loosening whud, that makes me happy and unconstipated at the same time. :D I also went and bought a pair of Ultrasone PRO 550, after reading several posts here about their good bass specifically for trance music, which I listen to quite a lot. Now dont get me wrong, the Ultrasone have a very wide soundstage, but the bass is nearly lacking! This experience is completely different to what I was expecting. Also, the sound volume on Ultrasone seems to be lower. If I keep my laptop volume at 20%, the beats pro are comfortably load, whereas the Ultrasone's sound have recessed bass with higher mids and treble, but still not as loud as beats pro. Now, if I press the earcups in, for my Ultrasone's, they have much better bass, so it leads me to believe that the S-Logic has too much surround for my liking. Both beats pro and PRO 550 seem to have very high treble levels, which is irritating. If I start winamp and play some Armin Van Burren music, both of them have "ssk ssk" sound like cymbals clashing. This does not happen with my HD212 pro's, which trebles are a bit recessed, but still not dull. Suffice to say, I still feel that I have not been able to find a good pair to upgrade my HD212 pros, offering comparable of higher bass. I am a bit of a basshead, but I do not listen to rap, hip hop etc, so its not all about bass for me. Now I have read that 32 ohm headphones are made to play unamped with laptops and iphones etc, and sound bassy. The HD212 pro's are 32 ohms. PRO 550 are 64 ohms, and I can't find what impedance the beats pro have. So do I need to use amps with PRO 550 or beats in order to get that "whud" like HD 212 pro's? I have just ordered Fiio E11's from amazon, so hopefully they should help, but what are your thoughts? Have I got a bad pair of Ultrasones? What are your experiences? Based on the earbuds/headphones I like (vmoda, scosche, HD 212 pro) what would recommend as a good upgrade?

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 3
LOL. Just after posting, I found out the reason why the Ultrasone's were not sounding good. One of the earcups was loose. They have a tendency to come off. Now they sound GOOD! Sorry for the thread. I feel embarassed..lol

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
LOL. Just after posting, I found out the reason why the Ultrasone's were not sounding good. One of the earcups was loose. They have a tendency to come off. Now they sound GOOD! Sorry for the thread. I feel embarassed..lol

Also lurked and recently joined.  I just got the PRO-550's recently myself and love them.  Have had the HFI-580's for much longer which are a favorite.  Glad you got it worked out, enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back