Ultrasone nightmares
Apr 14, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #47 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did everyone forget the part where FallenAngel voided the warranty by doing a cable mod?

The problem is that Ultrasone made a commitment to repair a pair of headphones, has left a repeat customer in the lurch, and ignored one of the basics of customer service: communication. There's nothing wrong if Ultrasone decides that their warranty doesn't apply. Contact the customer and explain the options.

Or, better yet, make the customer happy by solving the problem. This creates an abundance of new customers who will be impressed by the company's customer service.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #48 of 68
Quote:

Did everyone forget the part where FallenAngel voided the warranty by doing a cable mod?

That should be irrelevant. He is not asking Ultrasone to do repair work for free (per the warranty) but to do the work he paid for properly.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #49 of 68
They made a commitment to take a look, which they shouldn't have considering how easily damaged drivers can be. They did wrong in charging him twice (but then taking one charge back) and wrong again with their communication, but the verdict is still out on whether the drivers were fixed or not. I don't know if FallenAngel has me on ignore or not, if he doesn't respond to anything I say about diode resistance someone should let him know that perhaps they are 32 ohm due to the diodes being removed.

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #50 of 68
Quote:

Did he claim warranty? I remember reading non-warranty repair for which he was initially charged $35 twice. Product was sent back in a non-working condition and now may be fixed or may not. The point is this is something that the community as a whole needs to be aware of if they plan on doing business with this company. Maybe higher ups in the company need to be aware of it too so that they can correct it.

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #51 of 68
The first technician was crazy and charged him twice for nothing, and Ultrasone did refund one charge back, and I'm not sure, but FallenAngel didn't pay for the repair the second time around right? I do think Ultrasone was wrong for the poor communication and long delays though, and I've sent them many emails and questions that just never get responded to.

Anyway, I still think many of you guys are jumping to premature conclusions, we should wait and see if FallenAngel can ascertain if the drivers read 32 ohm because they are broken or simply because they have the diodes missing, and whether he can get both drivers to sound even and do bass properly.

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #52 of 68
it doesn't really matter. If they say they're going to fix them, and charge for the service, they should come back working great. Fallenangel shouldn't have to put so much of his own time into just getting one of their products fixed. It's not a car full of parts that can go wrong. It's a pair of headphones. New drivers, done deal.

Unless Ultrasone stated up front that they don't do repairs on their products, but I'd like to see how that would go over with customers.

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #53 of 68
I'm not ignoring anybody, just don't check this thread all the time, I'm busy planning a big move.

The specs page for the Pro900 says 40 Ohm drivers, with a pair of diodes, they still aren't 40 Ohms. I just noticed a little card in the box saying to burn them in for 100 hours and that there was heat damage to the previous driver. Still, the new drivers are 32 Ohms, not 40. Perhaps the headphones SHOULD have 32 Ohm drivers, but that raises the question of what 38 Ohm driver was in the pair when I first got them?

My main qualm with Ultrasone now is the poor communication, long response times, driver replacement policy, terrible work they did on first "repair" (sent back not working) and either incorrect website or flat-out lie about what drivers they put in my headphones.

I clearly explained to them that the headphones were modified and I wanted to replace the driver myself, they wouldn't sell me one but offered non-warranty service which I paid for. The bill was for replacement driver, service fee and turn-around shipping. After months, I was finally refunded the 'double billed' service charge and I have not had to pay anything extra except for shipping of the headphones to them.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #55 of 68
Quote:

The specs page for the Pro900 says 40 Ohm drivers, with a pair of diodes, they still aren't 40 Ohms.

If you feel up to it, open and see if the diodes are there. I believe 32 ohm is about right with the diodes removed, so I think they must've just taken out the diodes.

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #56 of 68
I find it strange that they wouldn't sell you the part. it's all strange. but at least you told them they were modified.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #57 of 68
I believe this escapade is coming to an end. I got an email yesterday with the rep being at a loss of words and asking what would make me happy. As of the latest email today, we have agreed that I would return this pair, without after-market cable, including all accessories and packaging in exchange for a replacement pair.

Hope this will all be resolved in some manner soon and I'll update this thread when it is so.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #58 of 68
That's good to hear, but too bad ultrasone's intercommunication is so bad they can't figure out what their second technician did to the headphones to cause it to be like that. I still bet there's a good chance the diodes are just missing, the measurements I posted are quite suggestive of it.

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #59 of 68
As far as I know, diodes don't work that way.
wink.gif

I sent the headphones in just now, will see how long before everything is resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back