Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07)
Jul 27, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #436 of 541

I think so...........I had Ted from HeadphoneLounge make me a 22" custom for it.  He used a HD598-type connector on the headphone cup.  I put my iPod/Cayin on my upper arm in a band holder and this is my perfect portable rig after about 20 different combos.  After owning 6 different portable amps (FiiO E11, Digizoid ZO, Digizoid's new model, among others and tried Ultrasone Edition 8, Q40 among others) the Cayin feeding this headphone is my favorite basshead combo yet.  By quite a bit.

Nice!

Thanks.  I have a couple short cables that I use with the PRO models and it would be great to use them on these.

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #437 of 541

Nice!

Thanks.  I have a couple short cables that I use with the PRO models and it would be great to use them on these.

I should take a photo of the end of the cable (that goes into the headphone) so I don't steer you wrong.  I'll try to do it tonight.

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #438 of 541

I should take a photo of the end of the cable (that goes into the headphone) so I don't steer you wrong.  I'll try to do it tonight.

Thanks Oregonian,

No worries.  This morning an Ultrasone rep advised that they do not use the same cables.  The Performance Series uses a 'B-Lock' connector and the PRO models use a threaded one.

Thanks for all the help!

beerchug.gif

Sep 15, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #439 of 541
1. Is $250 USD + postage a good price for the 880s?

2. How comfy are these for all-day listening? Thinking of alternating it with my Denon D7000.

thanks! :)

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #440 of 541
  1. Is $250 USD + postage a good price for the 880s?

2. How comfy are these for all-day listening? Thinking of alternating it with my Denon D7000.

thanks! :)

Sounds like a good price on the 880's.

Comfort - I have the 840's which are the same chassis and to me, the weak link is the pads, tho the 880's have velours to swap to.  I put MrSpeakers Alpha pads on my 840 and now they are extremely comfy. 

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #441 of 541

Hey Mrjayviper, Mine arrived a few days ago from Kogan, they seemed like a bit of a bargain and so far I've found comfort to be fine. They clamp fairly tight but the pads are soft. The sound for me is a nice alternative to my LDC2's, these are slightly brighter but not over done and are very revealing, which I didn't expect. The s-logic is good but you have to play a bit with positioning to get the most out of it.

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #442 of 541
How does any of these compare to the HFI and the PRO line?  Are they a good "in between"? 

I find the PRO line fantastic for audio production and the HFI great for music entertainment listening.  But I've also got other headphones too and I'd like to consolidate a few if I can.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #443 of 541
Just wanted to share an amazing finding about the 880s.
To me, like others, these are a bit sibilant. But I had them with Sony walkman F806 and fiio E17 amp plus a high grade 3,5 mm connector (which gave fuller sound and better bass) and also I changed the headphone cable to a pure solid silver one by Lavricables v2.0, you can find it on ebay. With some smart EQ changes the sibilance almost dissapeared or was not that sharp. So it was great.

Recently I bought new Sony player nwz-A15, as an upgrade from F806. And with the setting DSEE HX, that will "upgrade" your lossy tracks so they sound more like lossless tracks, the sibilance is gone! I don't know what Sony did, but 880s+A15 with DSEE HX setting it's amazing! I still use fiio E17 because I get the sound to weak with only A15. And also I bumped up the bass a notch with E17 it helps to get more fuller bass sound.

Every one that is finding 880s sibilant, I highly recomend trying them together with the Sony nwz-10 range walkmans + DSEE HX setting.

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #444 of 541
Hello!

I kind of am interested in these. (880) 

I have three questions:

1. How do they compare to dj one pro?

2. How is the signature exactly?

3. How do they compare to sennheiser ie800?

Longer story: I have dj one pro, and I love the soundstage and mids and bass, but I want more energic treble, like my sennheiser ie800, so I am searching for that sound in an over the ear headphone. So I started testing lots of headphones, and these were nowhere on display in my entire country (Romania) so I decided to give them a chance, given that these might please me musically. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #445 of 541
I don't think they look bad at all.

I think some people are overly concerned with aesthetics of headphones.  Headphones are about great audio and the internal connection within that they give you.  I don't give a rats what they look like.  Sound and Comfort far outweigh how a headphone "looks".  For public use I use IEMs anyway.  No sense in lugging around headphones when great IEMs are just as good.

Nov 13, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #446 of 541
  I don't think they look bad at all.

I think some people are overly concerned with aesthetics of headphones.  Headphones are about great audio and the internal connection within that they give you.  I don't give a rats what they look like.  Sound and Comfort far outweigh how a headphone "looks".  For public use I use IEMs anyway.  No sense in lugging around headphones when great IEMs are just as good.

I actually think beats look bad, from my view, they look like half of a 5 liters plastic bottle. I consider HD800 and a few others to be really good looking headphones, but this new performance series looks just very good. 

Nov 13, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #447 of 541
  I actually think beats look bad, from my view, they look like half of a 5 liters plastic bottle. I consider HD800 and a few others to be really good looking headphones, but this new performance series looks just very good. 

I love Bucharest club music.
dt880smile.png

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #448 of 541
Are the 880s really a significant upgrade to the 860s?  Is like the difference from the HFI-780s to the Pro 750s?  Ultrasone's version of Gold to Titanium drivers, from my experience the 750s are phenomenally more clear and detailed than the 780s.  But the 750s required a 6dB 6-8k drop for extended listening periods.  If the 880s are too harsh that would be a deal breaker.  The HFI-780s gold plated drivers were smooth as silk.

I think I want to grab a pair, just want to narrow it down.

And @Dobrescu George, definitely man, after further examination I actually think these new Ultrasone headphones look pretty baddass.

Nov 13, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #449 of 541
A deal came my way today on the 860s for $312 brand new so I grabbed them.  Something tells me I'm going to like these.
dt880smile.png

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #450 of 541
Not a lot of talkers in this thread.

Just got my 860s.  They sound like ass.  My HFI-780s blow them away.

The one good thing, they fit like a glove, the way they should, they are so damn comfortable and isolate awesome without that weird echo sound.

How much better do these get with break in?  My 780s sounded amazing right out of the box brand new.

How do you disassemble these damn things?  Earpads appear to be glued.  I want to get to the drivers so I can remove the sticker blocking the bass ports.

ughh and they are sibilant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back