Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07)
Feb 26, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #392 of 541
  Has Ultrasone mentioned a successor to the Sig DJ Pros recently? I loved my Sig DJ Pros and would be very interested in a next gen update.

update to signature dj? no. update that is from ultrasone, and sounds very good? edition 5 unlimited. i would skip edition 8 as it is more of an over the ear for bigger ears persons.

but signature dj are somewhere about to the high end of the high end. edition 5 is more of a side-grade, than an upgrade.

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #393 of 541
Edition5 .....$6.000 in Australia.  Made with gold and leather from the Capra aegagrus cretica goats......??
How to justify this price ?  Would not be surprised that a T1 sounds better.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #394 of 541
  why would you try to measure this? it should not ever be able to affect anything, so why bother?

You have to do a lot of research to come to a conclusion.
In the end with a little bit paranoia and critical thinking you may conclude that a careful approach would be wise.......
But who is really critical nowadays? If the majority of mobile phone users don't care at all about their mobile radiation exposure
who gives a........about the apparently "less harmful" emf emission from headphones and common household electrical appliances.
Luckily there are still a few people in this world asking the right critical questions and trying to find the right answers.

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #395 of 541

You have to do a lot of research to come to a conclusion.
In the end with a little bit paranoia and critical thinking you may conclude that a careful approach would be wise.......
But who is really critical nowadays? If the majority of mobile phone users don't care at all about their mobile radiation exposure
who gives a........about the apparently "less harmful" emf emission from headphones and common household electrical appliances.
Luckily there are still a few people in this world asking the right critical questions and trying to find the right answers.

if you have a microwave in your house, all the bugs around it are dead anyways!

but with all seriousness, i am more worried about mobile smartphones than anything.
  Edition5 .....$6.000 in Australia.  Made with gold and leather from the Capra aegagrus cretica goats......??
How to justify this price ?  Would not be surprised that a T1 sounds better.

T1 could sound better. depends on the sound you want to get.

edition 5 unlimited is double the price, but it is the only very high end closed back headphone that has got good treble. it is the most comfortable, has a very very unique sound it is closed back.

to me, it is a much better option than lcd3 or any stax, because it is closed. the only open back that i consider worthwhile is hd800.

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #396 of 541
I had the opportunity to borrow the Performance 880s for a weekend and enjoyed them very much, more than the considerably more expensive Edition 10, and the Edition 8 which I also borrowed. Most of my home listening is on Sennheiser HD800s and Stax set-up, but I am looking for an all-round closed headphone that is easy to drive and portable. I listen mostly to classical music, and listened to the 880s last after trying to like the Edition 8s but not succeeding. When I put the 880s on, I could immediately relax and enjoy the music without thinking, as I did when listening to the Edition 8 that, maybe I just had to adjust to the sound, maybe they needed "burning in". Also, the 880s sounded surprisingly acceptable out of my un-amped iPod Classic. Using my Oppo HA-1 I didn't feel I was missing that much compared to my HD800s, although the latter are obviously superior.
The only thing I didn't like was the rather plasticky cable which you can hear when you move your head. Currawong in his review mentions this. Are aftermarket cables available for these, and would this help against the microphonics that I experienced?

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #397 of 541
I heard the 880 and thought it was good in transients, treble definition and soundstage, only the bass seems to be disjointed from the rest of the spectrum and seems slower / muddy / damped. It seem as if it is a not very well done transmissonline bass. I wonder what the 2 holes above the driver really are for. The kick drum is not very well pronounced, lacks speed, definition and texture. The mids and highs have a great soudstage but the bass appears like mixed in with no soundstage at all. The bass is more of a little pressure sensation opposed to a realistic very well textured, detailed and tuneful bass, coherently linked to the rest of the spectrum. It also seems that there is no low bass, say lower than 50Hz.

That titanium driver seems to need a very long break in time though. I have 150 hours now. Compared to a audio technica MSR7: MSR7 was more organic and had better texture but less definition, less bass quantity but excellent quality, and was lively even at the lowest volumes.

On the other hand a 10 year old AKG K171 had a equal acoustic performance (speed, texture, ...) next to the 880... I wonder how a Yamaha MT220 would be in comparison.

mids+treble  8/10
bass             3/10
Soundstage  8/10
Texture        6/10

MSR7
treble 7/10
mids  9/10
bass  8/10
Soundstage 7/10
Texture       9/10

EDIT: The 880 needs 250 hours break in, the bass speed is better now from 3/10 to 5/10 now, but still lacks low bass and texture. The kick drum still sounds like a 10" kick drum instead of the real 22"...

May 16, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #398 of 541
Can the 840 pads be removed?  If so, how do you do that?

May 16, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #400 of 541
  Can the 840 pads be removed?  If so, how do you do that?

Yeah they can. They're attached to the headphones by a sticky adhesive ring on the back of each ear pad. All you have to do is pull them off. (One of the ear pads on my 840 was a bitch to pull off tho, so be prepared, lol) The ring appears to stay sticky even after you remove it, so you can stick it back on later.

May 16, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #401 of 541

Yeah they can. They're attached to the headphones by a sticky adhesive ring on the back of each ear pad. All you have to do is pull them off. (One of the ear pads on my 840 was a bitch to pull off tho, so be prepared, lol) The ring appears to stay sticky even after you remove it, so you can stick it back on later.

If it goes this way, why pull them at all? 

May 16, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #402 of 541
  If it goes this way, why pull them at all? 

They make the ear pads in pleather or velour, so people can switch between them if they wish. Why they chose to go with an adhesive backing instead of the normal "gasket" type fitting is anyone's guess, but the adhesive ring/ear pad is definitely designed to be removable and replaceable.

May 17, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #404 of 541
I am really wondering what type of sound performance 880 has. They are very expensive, buy i really wonder if they can ever be compared to signature dj.

Similar sounding but the DJs is more refined overall. Better clarity and to my ears, better mid bass punch. I sent the 840/880DJs for measurements. If you'd like to see, send a PM and I'll provide the links (since it seems mentioning the page here gets posts edited!?!)

Yup! :)

So guys which one will be closer to Signature Pro in overall performance and sound signature? 860 or 880?

None of them.
The Signature Pro is Ultrasone's "attempt" at a neutral-ish sound signature. So the bite up top and the bass slam is more subdued.

May 17, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #405 of 541
Similar sounding but the DJs is more refined overall. Better clarity and to my ears, better mid bass punch. I sent the 840/880DJs for measurements. If you'd like to see, send a PM and I'll provide the links (since it seems mentioning the page here gets posts edited!?!)
Yup! :)
None of them.
The Signature Pro is Ultrasone's "attempt" at a neutral-ish sound signature. So the bite up top and the bass slam is more subdued.

I really love having more treble and more bass.

I sent you a PM with the question. Wierd thing that it got edited. 

I wonder why would they use adesive to stick the headphone pads if they are meant to be taken off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back