Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 (First post last update : 2014/12/07)
Dec 19, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #286 of 541
The 880 soundstage has nothing close to a HD800 but coming from the HD800 and then listening to the 880 is not shocking at all . I'd say that the 880's soundstage competes with the Sony Z7's one for example.  Ultrasone soundstages have always sounded great (Great for closed cans but nothing close to the HD800)  to my ears . Even the Sig pro despite its "small audio studio" kind of presentation. Ultrasone S-logic seems to work for me though

by "great" I mean , reasonably wide and deep, with good layering and pin point imaging. IMO soundstage and those "not-too-recessed" mids are the strong points of  these performance series.

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #287 of 541
I bought a pair of the 840s to be a portable, closed solution and they fit the bill.  My only complaint is my ears actually touch inner baffle and I don't have large or protruding ears, it may bother some but I don't really notice it.  I find the 840s to be bass-heavy but that's perfectly fine for what I bought them for, they are light, low profile, comfortable and seal very well.  The pleather ear pads aren't the best, I'm hoping to source a pair of the velour pads (ultrasone USA told me they would be available in February 2015) and I think I'll be 100% satisfied, I'm thinking the velour pads may tame a little bit of the peaks in the treble also.

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #288 of 541
  The 880 soundstage has nothing close to a HD800 but coming from the HD800 and then listening to the 880 is not shocking at all . I'd say that the 880's soundstage competes with the Sony Z7's one for example.  Ultrasone soundstages have always sounded great (Great for closed cans but nothing close to the HD800)  to my ears . Even the Sig pro despite its "small audio studio" kind of presentation. Ultrasone S-logic seems to work for me though

by "great" I mean , reasonably wide and deep, with good layering and pin point imaging. IMO soundstage and those "not-too-recessed" mids are the strong points of  these performance series.

wierd thing... after listening to a LOT of different headphones, closed and open back, and everything in between, i came to the conclusion that my dj one pro was the second as soundstage after hd800, in everything i had tried... 

because there are two shops, and one has most od headphones and one has basically ultrasone and grado, i was not really able to compare ultrasone models between themselves. i could not listen to more expensive ultrasones..

what is the second soundstage after hd800 in your opinion?
[sorry, but i am very fond of soundstage, and so i really want to get the best i can and most important i am trying to get it closed back right now, this is easy, as hd800 were the only open back that i really loved][tried hd600, und hd650, the soundstage amped and unamped was less than my dj one pro]

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #289 of 541
Originally Posted by skerry2006aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what is the second soundstage after hd800 in your opinion?

Ultrasone Edition 12, Beyerdynamic T1 for example

The HD800 is in another league with the Abyss . both headphones have a special ability to recreate a kind of holographic image in front of us

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #290 of 541
Im also a sucker for soundstage. does the hd700 have similar soundstage to the hd800?

I think i'd like the hd800, except that it wouldn't have enough bass for my tastes. also, can't afford it so there's that too!

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #291 of 541
Dunno for HD700. Not heard enough yet :wink:

Bass addiction is a matter of habits. I remember when I bought my SIg pro. I seriously missed the bass level of my previous HFI2400 and a few days later , all was perfectly fine :wink: and Now I'm currently enjoying a Stax SR404 !
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #292 of 541
But you must understand i listen to 90% EDM. EDM without hard bass is like a car without wheels. Just doesn't work for the genre.

This is why I'm obsessed with the Pro 900. Mids aren't amazing, but that's not important with EDM...

Anyways, I hope my incoming 880's will satisfy.

I think that's why my views differ from most other people's on headphones. Most people care about vocals and midrange, but I do not care much for that. It's all about how good EDM sounds for me, how fun and exciting and thrilling the experience sounds.

Imaging, soundstage, bass, speed, impact, good clean crisp highs, these factors matter most to me I think. 

I'm not your typical audiophile who is looking for neutrality, that's for certain. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #293 of 541
I think 25 or 30% of the music I listen to is EDM too :wink: . the HD800 is an amazing can for many EDMs :)

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #294 of 541
Yes, I bet the imaging of the HD-800 really proves to be fun with some well mastered EDM.

I really wish i could try it... I'm sure I will someday. 

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #295 of 541
Had a quick listen to the 880's on a couple occasions.

I think the 880's are very much in line with the way my sound tuning preference has changed since February when I purchased the Pro900. 

Huge soundstage and I didn't really notice the treble peak. I'm a bit of a sub bass/treble head (listen to a lot of Trap music) so these work well for me. I would prefer if they had split removable cable (one cable going to each side) so I'll wait till Drew from Moon Audio gives me a definitive answer mid January if he can do split removable cable mod. For the time being he said he can probably do hardwired but he'll look into it more after the holidays. 

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #297 of 541
  What is your objective with that cable mod, Scorpion667 ?  To go balanced?  

I'm probably gonna upgrade the cable.

Let's say I build a pure silver or 7n OCC copper cable with a thicker gauge wire. If I have single entry as per stock config, the cable still has to pass through the thin, lower grade stock wire that goes through the headband over to the right channel. In that scenario that stock wire connecting the left cable entry to the right channel would eliminate or reduce the sonic benefit of the upgraded cable, but only (or predominantly) to the right channel. It would be like using a $10 fiio extension between only the right channel and a pure silver cable, on a dual entry headphone. 

I'm OCD about certain things. I can live with that =)

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #298 of 541
One reason i moved from Ultrasone HFI-780 was a)no detacheable cable and b)i expected that s-logic to bring me a nice 3d soundstage almost like live experience... nope gimmick, c) a bit uncorfortable while wearing glasses

I Gave them to my german BF. and I got a pair of sony MDR-1R (nto totally closed due to vents on top of earcups) bought the 1R becu¿ause the detacheable cable, i was expecting not great conformt and not 3d sound

but boy the sonys, have such an impressive 3D-soundstage that givesme the live experience, i find them to be neutral (close to neutral but not completely) and comfort is miles ahead.

sounds those new perf series are good, but dont know if those have detacheable cables

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #300 of 541
I got my 880's today! Just some first impressions...

I've been fussing around with the placement of the cups for awhile, trying to adjust for the best fit and comfort. I find them pretty picky with placement, much like the other Ultrasones. I've got them set now, I think.

Main thing I immediately notice are the obviously more forward mids (vs pro 900), vocals especially are nice, very clear and more forward over the 900.

Other thing is the SS. The sound-stage is BIG. Very expansive. For closed, it's nice. Though I agree, more width than depth.

The mids and sound-stage stand out most to me with these.

Build quality isn't impressive IMHO for a 500 dollar HP. They don't feel expensive, actually they feel a bit cheap. The side adjustment pegs aren't very smooth and feel stiff and hard to move. They are super light. What also irks me is the hinges which don't allow much back and forth movement of the cups. It just feels somewhat stiff and awkward and not like a 500 headphone.

Their PRO series feels more durable and better built than these. I also don't like how the velour pads have an adhesive on them. I'd much prefer to be able to switch pads up and back to make comparisons. I'm not even sure how you remove the leather pads.

I'm liking the mids. The highs can be sharp though.

I find these still sound like Ultrasones, they have the Ultrasone sound to my ears.

If they could smooth out some more with burn in, that would be ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back