Ultrasone HiFi 780 Vs Beyerdynamic DT770
Dec 19, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #16 of 30
I know northernsound.net has HFI-780s for 166 dollars unless they changed it. They didnt hurt my ears when I got them. But people ears are diffent. You ears should get used to them after a bit of use if they hurt yours.

edit: btw northernsound.net req you to join there club for a one time fee of a dollar to get the deal on there headphones.

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know northernsound.net has HFI-780s for 166 dollars unless they changed it. They didnt hurt my ears when I got them. But people ears are diffent. You ears should get used to them after a bit of use if they hurt yours.

edit: btw northernsound.net req you to join there club for a one time fee of a dollar to get the deal on there headphones.

Is northernsound trustworty?

Where are they located?

So you saying that I will get it for $166 + $1 = $167 total then?
I just checked and they have it for $166 thats a really good price.

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #18 of 30
WOW Holy crap

AKG | K601 | OPEN BACK DYNAMIC HEADPHONES

is: $210.03.

Nothernsounds actually has the K601 with 60% off or so.

Are these people for real?
How can a store sell so cheap?

BTW why is it no one has recommended me any AKG?

Dec 19, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #20 of 30
The 80 Pro's sound very different from the normal 770's, as I posted above. The 80 Pro's have much more bass.

And the AKG K601 have VERY little bass. They are not what you want.

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by effectic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Where are they located?

Yea, I asked that same question here before I bought them and there was quite a few people saying they was trust worty. Then I bought them from them many months ago.

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by effectic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Where are they located?

Don't forget shipping. They're in Pittsburgh.

Dec 19, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #23 of 30
If you're still interested in DT 770 80 Ohm Pro:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones and more Studio Headphones at GuitarCenter.com.

$199.00 with free shipping.

I listened to these at a Guitar Center. They are the new version, but the picture is of the old version. You could call and check to make sure. I have heard from others here that the new version is slightly better, though in what way I'm not sure.

These sound neutral but not as natural as open backed HP. Bass sounds tight and deep, but it does not overpower the rest of the music. Between AKG and Audio Technicas, the Beyers sounded more like full range speakers to my ears. Listening to Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden on the other two, it sounded like the D'Arcy and Ben Sheppard went out for coffee.

Haven't yet heard the D2000 but looking at frequency response these are warmer, less detailed in the top end. Not to say that they are lacking in detail, the Beyers just give you more. FR is not everything though. Soundstage on Beyers is almost an on-the-stage experience. Denon's are supposed to be less forward, more of a balcony or 10th row experience.
DT 770s for rock, rap (if you must), movies and games. Denon more for soloists, classical, jazz. Probably superior to the Beyers to most ears, but I like the DT770s very much. All depends on what you're looking for.

Denons can be had here for $264.00

Denon AHD2000 Closed Magnesium AH-D2000 Headphones NEW! - eBay (item 110326347055 end time Jan-13-09 06:16:50 PST)

So, that's only $44 beyond your limit, and in the world of hi-fi that's nothing.

Good luck with your decision.

Dec 19, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also got the DT-770/80 Pro from ebay two days ago for $149 shipped. Also look at B&H Photo Video. They have them for $189 shipped and take credit card. The ebay seller that has them for $149 also has a real store, not just an ebay store. I bet if you contacted him he would let you pay with a credit card over the phone.

Forgot to mention- go to Guitar Center if you want to listen. Their price is under your limit if you absolutely cannot leave the store without them. Otherwise, buy from the above mentioned dealers. B & H Photo has always been good to me.

Dec 19, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #25 of 30
Hard luck the fools say they do not accept international credit card.

So they can go screw themselves. I am kinda disgusted of that, cause unless its Amazon I really cannot buy from much places.

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by elephino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're still interested in DT 770 80 Ohm Pro:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones and more Studio Headphones at GuitarCenter.com.

$199.00 with free shipping.

I listened to these at a Guitar Center. They are the new version, but the picture is of the old version. You could call and check to make sure. I have heard from others here that the new version is slightly better, though in what way I'm not sure.

These sound neutral but not as natural as open backed HP. Bass sounds tight and deep, but it does not overpower the rest of the music. Between AKG and Audio Technicas, the Beyers sounded more like full range speakers to my ears. Listening to Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden on the other two, it sounded like the D'Arcy and Ben Sheppard went out for coffee.

Haven't yet heard the D2000 but looking at frequency response these are warmer, less detailed in the top end. Not to say that they are lacking in detail, the Beyers just give you more. FR is not everything though. Soundstage on Beyers is almost an on-the-stage experience. Denon's are supposed to be less forward, more of a balcony or 10th row experience.
DT 770s for rock, rap (if you must), movies and games. Denon more for soloists, classical, jazz. Probably superior to the Beyers to most ears, but I like the DT770s very much. All depends on what you're looking for.

Denons can be had here for $264.00

Denon AHD2000 Closed Magnesium AH-D2000 Headphones NEW! - eBay (item 110326347055 end time Jan-13-09 06:16:50 PST)

So, that's only $44 beyond your limit, and in the world of hi-fi that's nothing.

Good luck with your decision.

One of my Major aims is to ensure my ear drums do not hurt. It really hurt using studio monitors and I want to avoid that.

DT 770 80 PRO you have a pic of the new ones and what it looks like?

Would you rate the DT 770 PRO over the ultrasone 780?

Cause ultrasone seems to be designed for anything but hurting your ear drum while at the same time giving the feel of surround sound.

How would you compare the DT770 to the 780 in terms of comfort and ear drum pressure and depth like the HD555 had.

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #28 of 30
Ultrasone lowers the sound pressure directly in your ears, thus it reduces listening fatigue. but not sure if it hurts your ear drums (indirectly) cause i felt i can listen to high volumes without discomfort.

And beyer is designed with directly blasting sound in your ear drum. the drivers are not offsetted.

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #29 of 30
DT770pro-large.jpg

Notice it says DT 770 Pro on the back of the cup.

I have no experience with Ultrasone so I cannot comment. A new thread on the 780s just started today, so try checking there.

DT 770s feel comfortable. Clamp my head enough without hurting my temples. I like the velour pads.

As far as hurting my eardrums? I have tinnitus and ear canal scarring from a very early age, due to constant ear infections. Apparently a common problem with aspies. Anyway, my ears are incredibly sensitive as a result, to the point I stopped attending live concerts and finally hung up my electric guitar. Very high frequencies are painful, at least at loud volumes. I don't listen at a whisper, though. My ears have an auto volume adjust. When I hear distortion, it's too loud. Having said that, the DT 770s are a perfect blend of detail and accurate representation of highs without sounding bright or hard. They are not silky and sweet, though. Just accurate. I can crank the volume while listening to Hum or MBV without suffering.

Hope that helps. I really have to get back to work now. Take care.

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #30 of 30
thank you for you feedback elephino.

I will definitely give them some consideration cause d ATH-M50 used to hurt my ear drums badly when I tried it out by a friend of mine.

Will definitely give all these some serious taught
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back