Ultrasone HFI-780 vs. Beyerdynamic dt770 vs Shure srh840
Jan 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

abrod97

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi community, FIrst Time poster here
I've done hours and hours of research to come to my final three choices, but I'm not sure which would be most suited to my personal tastes still. If you wish to recommend any other pairs that would suit my needs, feel free to add them.

I have a fiio E07k DAC/amp coming from a ipod video. I listen to pretty much only rock and metal, but I do love deep, extending, and punching bass; however it is not my top priority. My top priority would be clarity among all. I love to pick out the small details in my music. 

Ultrasone HFI-780 vs. Beyerdynamic dt770 vs Shure srh840

If you do recommend me try a different set of cans, I am looking for closed back, even in ears would be okay if they are that good (Triplefi 10?)
Oh and of course, price. The headphones I have found can be found for about $140 at the lowest. If paying an extra $20 or so makes the difference let me know. If priced lower, even better.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi, I had similiar requirements when looking for headphones some time ago. I also like quite deep and punchy bass while listening to mainly fast metal (thrash, technical death). I picked HFI-780 and I am definietly NOT disappointed, so I think those will fit you nicely. One thing to remember is that Ultrasones are not the most comfortable cans, they are not terrible, but just not that comfy. Can't comment on other proposed hps as I didn't hear those personally, but from what you can read on forums SRH840 might be lacking a bit of bass for your taste.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the response, however have you tried the dt770? I would like responses from people who have tried both so I'm more sure that if I get one I'm not missing out on the other

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 6
I have tried both the DT770 80ohms and the SRH840 and in regards to the DT770 i was not impressed.  They didn't sound very good and were too quiet, they also for whatever reason made my head itch with the velour pads.  However, i was not using an amp and i think they would benefit greatly with one.  I ended up buying the SRH840 and so far am not disappointed.  The bass seems tight and controlled to me, not booming but its definitely there.  The clarity is amazing too.

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
I have tried both the DT770 80ohms and the SRH840 and in regards to the DT770 i was not impressed.  They didn't sound very good and were too quiet, they also for whatever reason made my head itch with the velour pads.  However, i was not using an amp and i think they would benefit greatly with one.  I ended up buying the SRH840 and so far am not disappointed.  The bass seems tight and controlled to me, not booming but its definitely there.  The clarity is amazing too.

Thanks for responding, what kind of music were you listening to? Also the fact that they were to quite is solved with the amp. People say that the dt770 really shines when you have an amp. And did u get a chance to burn them in fully?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back