Ultrasone HFI-780 replacement earpads
May 11, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #16 of 28
I have had an backorder with beyer for almost two months and they are available retail? Damn! Ordering now lol.

May 12, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #17 of 28
Pro-Sound is out of stock. They said Beyer is backordered for at least 30 days?? Sheeesh! Is there that much of a run on these things with people replacing ther HFI-780 earpads that they are backordered this far in advance?

If anyone knows where to get a set please let me know.

May 29, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #18 of 28
Got my pads from B&H. Had asked for email notification when pads got back in stock, which I got last week, quickly ordered and got the pads a few days ago.

Thanks for helping with the comfort level on these phones!

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #19 of 28
Sorry to resurrect old thread.

I'm out of luck here in Sydney.
B&H quoted about $50 to send it to Sydney
angry_face.gif

Anyone known any online shop that will send it to oz with more reasonable price?

Cheers

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #23 of 28
The beyer pads are definitely much more comfortable, but for the 680's, they totally killed the sound in my setup. The treble is way too sharp and forward sounding, and the bass is all but gone. It sounds fatiguing and I miss the tight solid bass, its just punchy but lost all body with the beyer pads. I went back to the crappy 680 pads since I'd rather have the sound signature I like with a bit of pain
smily_headphones1.gif

But I have found another way to make the ear pads a bit more tolerable. Roll up cotton and stuff it behind the pads (kinda like a step in the Markl mod for D5000). This puts the drivers a bit further away, and doesnt press on the ears now and I can tolerate it for much longer now without any pain. I've also used the thin foam that came with the Beyer pads on the inside to tame the treble just a small bit. I like the way these sound now.

The headpad is still a big pain though, Gotta try the memory foam mod, I have some lying around somewhere from an old pillow. Might look stupid though in yellow.

Apr 26, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #24 of 28
I might try this. I just have no clue on how to take the old ones off and put the new ones on.

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #25 of 28
Hi Mrarroyo-

You mentioned an excellent workaround to Ultrasone's pleather earpads. I think the company was beyer (?) Do you know if they have some that will fit Ultrasone's HFI-580 model? Thanks.

C.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #26 of 28
Question:  Would you please describe exactly how to remove and replace pads from Ultrasone headphones without damaging them (with pictures or video, if possible)?

Background:  Just purchased HFI-700 (Alienware Ozma 7).  According to Ultrasone website, HFI-700 uses same replacement pads as the HFI-780.  I would like to replace the OEM pads with Beyerdynamic DT250/DT280 velour earpads.  

I think there used to be a thread with pictures showing how to do this, perhaps even this thread.  However, pictures have been removed from this thread and I'm unable to find the visual instructions.  If it still exists, please provide the link.

I'm new to this and need detailed step-by-step instructions about how to remove/replace pads.

Jul 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #27 of 28
I received the Beyerdynamic DT250V earpads from Sweetwater Sound, who currently has them on sale for $18.48 with free shipping.  Here are instructions about how to change out Ultrasone pleather pad for the Beyerdynamic DT250V pad.

1.  Remove pads from your Ultrasone HFI-700 (and similar models), which is easy to do because they are held in place by the elastic quality of the headphone pad.  Gently pull on part of the pad near the headphone groove until it comes out.  Then, gently work your way around the circumference of the headphones until the pad is completely removed.  It's a little like removing a bicycle tire from a rim.

2.  Install Beyerdynamic earpads.

The Beyerdynamic velour pads have three pieces:  a plastic piece that can be ignored, the padded velour ring, and a piece of cloth to cover the area inside the velour ring.   For comparison, the Ultrasone pleather pad is all one piece that includes both the padded ring and cloth across the inside of the ring.

Installing the Beyerdynamic pads is the reverse of taking the pad off.  Put the edge of the earpad into the headphone groove (what this means is obvious when you are actually looking at the headphones).  Then gradually work the new pads around the entire circumference of the headphone.  I used a finger to hold the part already inserted to keep it from popping out as I moved around the circumference.  You can put the piece of cloth in either before you put on the pad  (I initially had a little trouble with it slipping out), or it is also easy to install after the pads have been attached.  The Beyerdynamic pad, like the original Ultrasone pad, is held in place by its elastic property.

The whole process took five minutes or less.  Writing this explanation is taking far more time than actually replacing the pads.

The replacement process is simple and obvious once you know that the pads are held in place by their elastic properties (and you don't need to worry about screws, velcro, glue, or anything else that you might accidentally damage).

I hope these instructions will help those who -- like me -- are new to headphones and want to try these velour pads..

If you know a better way to do this process, or have some additional tips for novices, please take the time to post your ideas in this thread.

P.S.  Thanks to mrarroyo who described to me in a private message how Ultrasone pads are connected to the headphones.

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #28 of 28
I just got a set of 780s. I love the sound, but have the same problem with the ear cups as everyone else. In addition to the material not being great, I don't love the size of the ear cups. My ears are touching the inside of the drivers in two places (the helix and antitragus). Can anyone comment on whether modding these cans with the beer ear pads will add some depth and width to these ear cups?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back