ultrasone hfi-780 or denon d2000?
Jun 1, 2009 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ramintop

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys, can someone help me with which one to choose? I'm a basshead but I appreciate good sound quality & I heard both were good in bass, but which one sounds better? I'm not buying modded headphones just the stock ones.

thanks and sorry for my english.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 23
ya music. I like all types of music really but preferably trance/house and hip hop. so I'm looking for the fun sound signature and deeeeeep bass, which one goes lower?

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 23
i have had both- still have the denon. the denon reaches higher and lower notes and is much more comfortable. the ultrasone has a smoother tamer sound and is good for an audio purist. it also squeezes slightly and has small earcups. the deal breaker was the (lack of) comfort level on the ultrasones for me

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #11 of 23
I own a 780 and had a D5000 for a few days. The 780 has better isolation, has deeper bass and sounded more "fun". D5000 is way more comfortable though.

Jun 1, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramintop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ourfpshero, do they leak sound? and which one did you think sounded more fun?

they dont squeeze your head but rest gently around your ears. dont leak sound but dont completely cut off sound either. the ultrasone's vinyl cups cut out a lot of sound and isolate very well

i think the denon is more of a fun sound. enhanced highs and lows, a ton of bass if u want it. i use my cans for gaming mostly and feed a 'v' shaped eq into an amp when gaming. the denons respond very well to the amount of bass i like.

to be fair the ultrasones are very capable. like i said it was a comfort issue for me. the ultrasones can be found for 50$ less than the denon.

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #13 of 23
Both are bass monsters. Honestly though, for hiphop and trace, it's a completely wasted effort to go for "audiophile quality", especially with "modern" recordings, almost all of it is engineered, produced and compressed to hell. Most (if not all) of the notes are no more than synthesized tones, not instruments so realism is thrown out the window. There is no almost never "deep" bass, likely nothing below 50Hz. Not that there's anything wrong in terms of enjoyment, but I wouldn't worry about that.

Now from one hiphop/trance listener to another, I usually prefer Denon D2000 because they're easier to listen to. I do reach for the 780's when I need better isolation but when given the choice, I prefer D2000.

Quick comparison is that D2000 has cleaner highs, 780 can get shrill up top. Mids are recessed in both but again I think the D2000 is smoother. Bass can be very boomy in D2000 and earth-shaking in 780. I personally prefer the nice bass hit in D2000 over the drawn out rumble of the 780 but that's just me.

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 23
Define "excellent bass". Some like Grado RS-1 bass, others Grado HP-2 bass, others Sennheiser HD650 bass and some definitely like Bose TriPod bass.

Both the D2000 and HFI780 are very bass-heavy, sometimes to the point that it's overpowering and masking the midrange. The highs are also not "excellent".

Let me note one thing, the 780 will make you enjoy 192kbps MP3s more than the D2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back