Ultrasone HFI 780 or 2400? Open or closed cans? Anything else under 200$ worth the price for me?
Sep 1, 2012 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Vanarian

Head-Fier
Hi guys, it's my first post here but I've been following you for a bunch of time as a reader... though I don't know a lot. I'm seeking an upgrade, maybe not as audiophile as someone would say, but something that will fill me with joy. So I need your help because I don't want to waste my money on a pair of cans that I wouldn't like.  

To go straight to the main point, please scroll down till the end of my post :wink:

Here is my little experience : 
I listen to a lot of music kinds, dubstep, rap, rock, metal, alternative, jazz, disco, orchestral symphonic, electro, house, r&b, etc... my first step to headphones was made with a set of Sony, maybe something like MB300 (don't remember the exact name...). At this time I owned a Creative Zen X-FI, didn't have the luck to know the better rated old design. But still it was -and it is- a very good portable player, from my POV. I don't use it anymore because of a defect, the screen is covered with dust. I may check it one day. Anyway...

I've had a first experience with a pair of Beats Studio (owned by my sister) about three years ago? I did found it wonderful at this time. Coming from my little Sonys, the gap was as obvious as coming from standard earphones to well built average headphones. I discovered a new kind of soundstage, with a punchy bass, vivid highs... I loved it. 
When I got back to my Sonys I was confused because it was not "what I wanted" anymore. Stil a good set, I can't deny them.

Right now I've a pair of JVC SA360, almost the same thing than my Sonys. The two cans are near its end, I almost broke them. By the time I learnt that Beats are overpriced for design and brand, and it seems that I can get better for lesser bucks. There starts the research. 

Now I've come across Beats Solo, Beats Solo HD, a pair of Shure, a Sennheiser which I don't remember the name, and recently Beats MIXR, Sennheiser HD25 and Focal Spirit One.
What I get from testing all these cans is :
Beats Solo/HD aren't suited for me at all. Soundstage is almost inexistant, it is too weakly built for me. Shure cans were what I'd call cold, totally neutral... and i really HATE this. I couldn't stand them, maybe for professionnal environnment it'd be great, but for listening pleasure it's one of the worst I've heard. Personnal opinion again, I prefer listening to lifefull and warm sound. The first pair of Sennheiser wasn't better, same thing than the Shure. To say, my JVC was a lot better for listening.

Past the two last weeks, I've finally had the opportunity to test the so famous Sennheiser HD25, newcommer Focal SPirit One and Beats MIXR (plus a Beats PRO). I tested everything straight from an iPhone 4, not really good from what I've read from Head Fi but it was all I had in my pocket at the moment. 
The Beats MIXR? These cans sound great to me. It seems to have a "V" shape, but still it is a lot of fun to listen, punchy and vivid, not a wide soundstage but a lot better in every aspect than my JVC and Sony anyway. Beats PRO are almost the same, reminded me a lot of Studio. Still, overpriced, and if better exists, that's what I'm seeking here.
Then goes the Focal Spirit One. French brand, I'm french, well reviewed so I had to test it. I love its accuracy, vivid mids and highs. But it lacks of bass, I find it somewhat weak. Note that I tested it in two environnments, one silent, one strongly noisy, and it was equally performant and accurate. Really great set of cans, but not for me because I find it boring without more powerful bass.

Then come a well-known set : the Sennheiser HD 25. It is vivid, provides a good pack of bass, good accuracy as well (though I'd go for Focal if it was only for accuracy). I can understand why it has so many good reviews, the sound is even warm, nothing like the preview Sennheiser I had tested. I enjoyed it a bit.
But finally it isn't a pair of cans I'd pay 200$ for, because it lacks of soundstage. To me, it lacks the "black" background I enjoyed with Studios, though it is lifeful and definitely better at performing music itself. HD25 doesn't mix high, med and bass like the Solo, it is distinctive and accurate. But it sounds... kind of "closed in a little piece" no matter the music I listened with it.

Finally getting in the thread main title! What can I get to suit my hearing? I'll check for an AMP to match the new pair of cans, with what it will require, but before that... I must choice a pair of cans :wink:

I've read great feedback on Ultrasone products, HFI design being probably what I'd seek. But I don't know them at all. All I know is that one is closed, which means isolation inside and outside, and one is open, which means leaking inside and outside, but way more charism, warmth, soundstage and accuracy? What would be the best compromise if my first criteria was listening pleasure, and second was isolation? I haven't had any open pair to test before, so I don't know how much it leaks in and out. Out, I don't really care... what makes me worry is more about IN. For example, is it usable in a street? Or would noise nuisance alter the music?

Then what must I do, open cans, closed cans? Ultrasone HFI or anything else?     

Here you go, I hope that I've been enough understandable (not my primary language, sorry for mistakes by the way). Thanks by advance guys!

[Post edited because I thought it didn't reflect the title]

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 6
Little UP for edit.

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 6
BUMP!

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 6
Your question seems very broad - I read your entire post
Could be the reason you're not getting many responses.

Looking for good headphones under $200?

Check out this current thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/621283/poll-best-headphones-under-200
If you read through the thread, there are many suggestions in addition to those in the original 'poll'.

As to the HFI 780's and 2400's, I personally didn't like either one.
Both had too much high end and too much bass for me.
But as always YMMV

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 6
Thank you for your reply :) 

Good thread, I've started following it. Only thing making me worry is that the ATH-M-50 seems to be first one in poll, and I can't find the thread (it is from here too) but one guy seemed to be tired of it, something like "After 1 year of listening, I find its sound boring...". The same guy also upgraded for a 780 if I remember well, and he was a lot happy. That's why I'm searching feedback about these two here, but still I'm not closed to any other prop. 
I'm not really a kind of "I want more & more!", if I find something I love I'll probably stick with it till it runs out of breath.

I've tried to describe what I've tested because I've heard a lot of good reviews on some cans like the HD 25, and still... I think it isn't what I would take. Maybe HD 25 could be described as "flat", everything come in an aggressive but equal way, and yet you can't localize any instruments, voices, drums, if it isn't for "right ear, left ear".

Also your feedback is precious, you didn't like it but maybe I'd like it. How was it, strong high end and strong bass, but without being... muddy? 

Since you've tested both models, how much would you say the 2400 leaks IN/out? Did you feel like you could use it in a noisy street or a plane, or would you take the closed one for such a use?

EDIT : I've found this http://www.head-fi.org/t/523678/ultrasone-hfi-2400-should-you-take-the-red-pill

and this http://www.head-fi.org/t/440263/brief-review-shure-srh840-vs-ultrasone-hfi-780

Still, I don't know which one I should pick if I go for a HFI model.

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 6
I don't know what to tell you .. those Ultrasones really don't appeal to me
Oddly, their little headphone called the HFI 15G is my favorite of theirs
But it doesn't compare with the better offerings from other manufacturers,
of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back