Ultrasone HFI-650DE completely IMPRACTICAL for portable use!
May 28, 2003 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Trounce

500+ Head-Fier
You know, I'd love to use these low-ohm, low-imprint phones as portables, but it just so happens that the damn cord is 6m long and it terminates with a 1/4inch plug. Now, I understand this is designed for use with a DVD player (it comes with a 6m extension cord, for a total of 12m or 40 feet!) but this is ridiculous. If I'm trying to carry it in my pocket, the bulge from my tied-up cord is the same size as my Ipod.

So... that's my gripe with it. If you plan on using them as portable, they are incorrigibly inconvenient.

Impressions will come after a 3-day burn-in.

May 28, 2003 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 12
wrap the cable around your belt or something.

May 28, 2003 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 12
Shorten the cord.
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2003 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 12
isn't it immediately obvious the moment these big things popped outta the box? I mean the only headphone that I know that ways more is the HD280! and that thing's huge!

Anyway I think the extension cord is a nice touch... excepting I struggle enough with the normal cord as my sources are always a short sneeze away from me.

But it would be a bit more ideal if the cord wasn't soo long for possible portable usage. It isolates to ~9db I read somewhere and folds well enough, and the cord ISN'T coiled!!
biggrin.gif

I mean the first time I got these cans I was so excited that I put it in my little carry pouch, wrapped the cord around myself semi-Michelin man style and bopped around the house! The sound's opening up a little bit more now which is great.

May 28, 2003 at 8:00 AM Post #5 of 12
Yes it sounds much less convenient than my TM which came with a coiled cord that's only a bit over 4' long when unstretched and is terminated to an 1/8" mini plug.

I wouldn't try and fit the phones in my pocket anyway. "Is that an Ultrasone in you pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
biggrin.gif
They're great for stuffing in a backpack though. Depends on how much portability you need.

That cord length [of the DE] is really too much though they are designed for home use with dvds really as you say...

Hope you like how they sound!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2003 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 12
I wrap long coiled cords around my waist... No need to hold in my gut then
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I don't remember it being THAT long (standard 650 is what I tried briefly at a meet). Ah, sorry I just read the thread, it's the DE version. Is that for DVD? Someone should have mentioned that little problem...

May 28, 2003 at 10:54 AM Post #7 of 12
I'm not trying to carry the phones in my pocket, but rather the tied-up cord. Maybe I should have made it more clear.

And aBc.Can, these isolate WAY more than 9db... they block sound better than my DT770s. It's amazing. When I clamp the two earpieces together, the music just miraculously disappears. But that isn't isolation, is it? That's leakage. Hmm... maybe it isolates 9db but doesn't leak at all. Great isolation, though, from what I can tell initially.

And just for a warmup to quell your thirst: these things KICK!

I am using an Audigy 2 with decent ICs (my dad's from his old stereo system... he bragged about them being the best and such, and the cord is the width of my ankle) connected to a Maxed-Out Meta42 with a 24v regulated power supply. Holy****bass! These go almost as low as the DT770s but kick, if you can believe it, HARDER and FASTER. Now, they definitely aren't as powerful, and I don't mean harder as they provide more impact, but they certainly bring the bass to the forefront of the music. Don't mistake this for accentuated bass, because the midrange is sweet and effortless. The highs are wild as all hell at the moment, and are boomy, but I'll burn in for another few days and check back.

So far, so good!
Except I keep running the damn cord over with my computer chair. Somebody has to kill it. I won't tell. It'll be our little secret!

May 28, 2003 at 11:16 AM Post #8 of 12
Why not simply shorten the cord and solder a 1/8" plug onto it?

peacesign.gif

May 28, 2003 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 12
Trounce...congrats on ther purchase and thanks for the remarks.

I would love to hear how they sound while watching a film on DVD. I have been considering them for use with my portable DVD player on the long bus rides I take.

I currently use the PortaPros and love how they sound but they let a ton of bus and passenger noise in. I also like the comfort of the PortaPros...I can keep them on for hours.

The long cord sounds like it could be bothersome if one is walking around with the cans..but I would be stationary.

Keep those impressions coming-
John

May 28, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
I wrap long coiled cords around my waist... No need to hold in my gut then
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I don't remember it being THAT long (standard 650 is what I tried briefly at a meet). Ah, sorry I just read the thread, it's the DE version. Is that for DVD? Someone should have mentioned that little problem...

I think Trounce added the extension cord in his calculation of the cord length. I have the DE and its the same length as the TM without the extension.

May 28, 2003 at 6:51 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Trounce
And aBc.Can, these isolate WAY more than 9db... they block sound better than my DT770s. It's amazing. When I clamp the two earpieces together, the music just miraculously disappears. But that isn't isolation, is it? That's leakage. Hmm... maybe it isolates 9db but doesn't leak at all. Great isolation, though, from what I can tell initially.

Yeah, this is the problem I have with the term isolation since it means both isolation of sound coming in and going out. Leakage is better for clarification. The Ultrasones leak barely anything but still do let sound in. I doubt they'd be sufficient isolation for a train but then anything beside Ety's probably wouldn't be as good either
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds like the bass is even more powerful than the TM's. Those highs calm down with burn-in though.

May 28, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #12 of 12
The regular cord length is 6m or 20 feet. With the extension, that doubles to 12m or 40 feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back