Ultrasone HFI-650 Trackmaster : Quick Impressions by gsferrari
Sep 6, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #16 of 29
GSFerrari, being a poor carless soul who lives near me... will suffer my wrath until he learns to stop using colors and large text. Seriously man, no rides for you. If you want to return those things by the 30 day limit you'll reformat this mo-fo to look like a decent respectable review
cool.gif

Other than that I agree with his judgements. I liked them for some music but wouldn't keep them around for much. I have large ears and they just didn't feel right. Also I had to use EQ extensively to take care of those highs. When used with the Bithead I did some EQ with Foobar, and GS's home setup has a Behringer DEQ at the moment. Come to think of it that DEQ might be skewing the review entirely. I really like the Behringer but reviewing a new can while using an EQ without disclosing said info is a little misleading.

Sep 6, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #17 of 29
I honnestly never had any problems with the highs of the HFI650 on well recorded music and a decent source (while I've serious issues with the grado under that respect). On lower quality stuff, it can be pretty bad and sharp.

But huge bass ? Not out of a trackmaster, not even from an RKV. I'm really curious about that whole names affair, since Bangraman mentionned too that his ultrasone were having a crazy bass. Which surprised me quite a lot.

Sep 6, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bioxeed
I was going "What" there for most of that. I have a pair of trackmasters and they really dont have that much bass at all. I use them solely for critical listening (the clarity from them is quite good) as I dont find them enjoyable to listen to most of the time.

I also compared Ultrasone 650 side by side and found that their bass is comparable to, if not slightly less than, that of 580. However, I disagree that they have better clarity than 580. Both samples may not have been 'broken in' yet, but Ultrasone's hi freqs sound a bit harsh to my ear and not as detailed as 580. I ended up getting 595 which imho are a 'better' 580 and personally I don't think these Ultrasones are anywhere near 595's fine sound quality.
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #19 of 29
Everyone can make whatever inferences they want. I am not trying to sell the headphones, got them for the review and will either keep them or take them back.

As for the bass - it is there and I hear it. Sorry
rolleyes.gif

As for the Behringer - it did not feature in the review. I am not so inexperienced to make such a n00b mistake. The headphones were connected straight into the amp which was connected straight into the source.

I have no desire to see reviews in the featured reviews section. I have written several reviews and I think only one has made it up there...and it was my first review ? not sure...dont care.

To suggest that I write like this in order to send the review upstairs is bullsh!t and whoever made that post is on my ignore list because they obviously cannot think before they post.

Thank you for the comments and feedback.

Sep 7, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
Oh, I just realized something... the headphones you reviewed are NOT the trackmasters. UltrasoneUSA no longer distributes the trackmaster, and what is the DVD-Edition/HFI-700 in europe is sold as just the HFI-650 in the states. The trackmasters are not supposed to have near as much bass as the DVD-Edition.

Taurui: unamped the Ultrasones sound very, VERY similar, except with a bit less detail and a bit less bass, the latter I find to be a good thing.

On the box it says Ultrasone HFI-650 but on the Sam Ash sticker it says trackmaster. I could be mistaken.

Cheers!

Sep 7, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

I was wondering why it rubbed me a bit the wrong way...

I wonder why it should rub you at all. If you see something you dont like you just have to walk away
rolleyes.gif

These are my impressions. Those who know what to make of them will use it appropriately.

If you want to pick a fight then come over to my place and we can take care of the "issues"

Sep 7, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #23 of 29
GS,

I read a lot of your reviews in the past and value your opinion. Don´t know what kind of feud is going on around here, but I read "Quick Impressions" in your original headline and took the mini review accordingly.

I always thought the Trackmasters had a great deal of "immediacy" (for lack of a better word), which if paired with just a bit more finesse across the spectrum, would make for an exceptional set of cans. Maybe Ultrasone does something along these lines for their rumored next gen lineup...

Matthias

Sep 7, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
GS,

I read a lot of your reviews in the past and value your opinion. Don´t know what kind of feud is going on around here, but I read "Quick Impressions" in your original headline and took the mini review accordingly.

I dont understand what everyone has a problem with either
confused.gif

I make the "reference ratings" in the review so that they know what I think of headphones in general and use the review accordingly. I make a disclaimer at the beginning. I write what I hear. I am losing $40.00 on this headphone because I just wanted to review it and return it. If I keep it then its a different story - people accuse me of trying to sell it.

Why dont you guys grow the balls to spend your money and try to review something huh?
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

I always thought the Trackmasters had a great deal of "immediacy" (for lack of a better word), which if paired with just a bit more finesse across the spectrum, would make for an exceptional set of cans. Maybe Ultrasone does something along these lines for their rumored next gen lineup...

Immediacy sounds like a good word (adds to headfi review dictionary
smily_headphones1.gif
). Finesse is what it lacks yes...can be a bit brutal and shake you up. Bass is unbelievable...MUCH better bass than the HD-650 without EQ. With EQ the HD-650 kicks up the smoke and dust...

The EQ btw is an awesome tool - highly recommended
cool.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
people accuse me of trying to sell it.

Dude, chill! Take a powder! Your review is just a little... flashier, shall we say, than what I'm used to... it looks similar to an ebay advert, and although I knew it wasn't, I thought it would be pertinent (if not mildly humorous) to make not of that. Need I remind you, I was not the only one in this thread who thought similarly.

Choose your battles. Even if I was trying to insult you (and I apologize if I conveyed my message as such), is it really worth getting so enraged over it?

I do appreciate your impressions. It's people's impressions of equipment that allow others to choose what's right for them. Without that, there would be no point to this forum.

Sep 7, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Dude, chill! Take a powder!

powder?
confused.gif

Now you're talking my language...what powder are you talking about
eggosmile.gif

The fact is - people need to think before they post. Simple. I like a methodical presentation. others like to scrabble away with the keyboard. If you dont like my way - cool
wink.gif

why cool?

Because I have a few more reviews coming up which will shock the sh!t out of the anti-gsferrari-review clan
eggosmile.gif

cant wait
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #27 of 29
By all means, do it your way, just don't take it as a personal hit if not everyone is partial to it.

Oh, a "powder" is in reference to "BC Powder", which is basically ground up aspirin. As far as what YOU were thinking of... well... nevermind...
eek.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #28 of 29
I believe Amol was in a roundabout way "complimenting" your writing style GS he called it "bombastic" well I love bombastic, it shows you are confident in the headphones you are reviewing and are singing you praises in a lofty style shouting their praises from the rooftops.

That's my review style, say it as you see it and to hell with the naysayers........ on the strength of your down to earth review I will be ordering a pair of these phones and will, hopefully add my own bombastic comments in this thread if I may?

Pinkie.

Sep 12, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #29 of 29
umm... yeah, it's been a while since i read this thread. anyway, i also might be guilty of saying certain things that might've offended gsferrari, and for that i apologize. however, i said it jokingly and hope it didn't come across in a negative way. that said, sometimes people just need to take a chill pill and not be so defensive.

that said, the HFI-650 trackmasters are a very tempermental phone. sounds great on some recordings, other times it sounds awfully bright or sibilant. also, the midrange can bet better. it does have nice, deep reaching bass though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back