Ultrasone HFI 580 vs HFI 780 vs HFI 2400
Jan 12, 2013 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kamaro

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am purchasing over the ear headphones and I have narrowed it down to three - HFI 580, 780, and 2400. Most of my listening will be done at home or on the road/travel. I listen to strictly EDM. Progressive House, Techno, vocal/uplifting trance. I know the 2400 is open where as the others are closed. I am honestly not sure if this will be a issue for me or if this is considered a negative. I am just looking for the overall best sound quality/bass. PRICE IS NOT AN ISSUE. I had my mind set on 2400 but I'm now hearing 780 is better. Any thoughts on all?

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 9
In the same situation, also torn between Ultrasone's and listening to the same genres.
I want the lots of punchy tight bass, while having lots of clarity overall
I'm stuck between the Pro 750 and HFI 2400

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 9
Have not heard HFI-2400 or PRO-750... With that disclaimer out of the way...

780's will be a more balanced option with a bit better sound quality, but 580's will deliver the bass. If you ONLY listen to EDM/dubstep/whatever, and you like an exciting sound, 580's are the way to go. Unless you want to fork out a little extra for the Pro 900's... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I do hear the Pro 750's are more balanced than my Pro 900's, but that's really not saying much of anything. The HFI series will have better isolation than the PRO series, and less finicky placement for the S-Logic.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 9
Hey Levaix,

Thanks for the input. Wish I could get some feeback on the 2400's compared to 580 and 780. I have not read bad reviews on it yet and I feel its the way to go but not too sure. In terms of the pro 900's; is it really that much better? I have only herd it has a lot nicer bass due to it being closed. I'm probably gonna stick with one of the HFI's unless 900 is THAT much better.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Hey Levaix,

Thanks for the input. Wish I could get some feeback on the 2400's compared to 580 and 780. I have not read bad reviews on it yet and I feel its the way to go but not too sure. In terms of the pro 900's; is it really that much better? I have only herd it has a lot nicer bass due to it being closed. I'm probably gonna stick with one of the HFI's unless 900 is THAT much better.

Glad I could help!

The 2400's will most likely not have the same pounding bass as its closed cousins. And I would definitely rather take a 580 or 780 if I were going on a trip, as they are VERY isolating.

Pro 900's are very polarizing and take some getting used to if you've always had a more neutral sound. But if it is one thing they are truly excellent at, it's electronic music. The bass is monstrous, especially when amped (even a cheap portable amp will help), and the clarity is a definite step above the HFI series. That combination of clarity and intensity seems to be painful for a lot of members here, but maybe I'm just masochistic. :) My only wish is that they were more versatile (my next pair will be Signature Pro's), but even when I upgrade I will most likely keep mine purely for how fun they are with EDM (and especially dubstep).

EDIT: And perhaps I should say that there's a lot more feedback on the closed Ultrasones (eg HFI-580/780) because that's really the niche that Ultrasone filled in the industry. There are plenty of open options, but Ultrasone had some special things going for it in the world of closed headphones. In my opinion, at least.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 9
Ok wow gotcha. You actually changed my mind completely! I might go with either the 780 or 580's. Bass is key but one final questions is, sound quality wise, are they worse or better or equal to the 2400's? Because I have read the 2400's are really clear and precise in picking up really small sounds. Also it has a really nice surround sound. My top genre is probably tech trance. There is many sounds as well as vocals and heavy bass at times. (Artists like W&W and Markus Schulz). You think the 780 or 580 match up sound quality and clarity wise? or better even?

Finally out of 580 and 780, personal opinion which would you choose and why?

I appreciate the feedback A LOT!

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 9
It's REALLY hard to say just because I haven't heard the 2400's. From some initial research (ha! gold-plated drivers!), it looks like the 780's are going to be closer to your cup of tea. You'd probably want the 580's only if you really wanted extra bass than either of the others, and honestly, that's something you're not going to be lacking with any of these headphones. And I will also say that the extra clarity won't help you at all out of an inferior source; my old Alienware-branded HFI-700's would crackle on piano notes coming straight out of my laptop. If you're doing computer listening, I would definitely recommend some kind of cheap external DAC/amp (I use the FiiO e17 currently and it works fine, and I have an Aune T1 currently en route from China).

Soundstage won't be as wide, though, simply because it's a closed headphone. It's certainly VERY good for a closed headphone. I personally enjoy the extra isolation in a house full of people, and that's a much greater benefit for me since I can actually hear the music. It would be very understandable if your preference were different depending on the situation.

The HFI-2400's actually look very nice, I'm a little surprised I haven't heard more about them. 780's are going to be an extremely similar sound quality, and for your rather specific wants I think they might be the better choice.

EDIT: If you do go with the 780's, try to wait a little for Amazon's price to drop back down or for B&H to get them back in stock. I think Amazon only went back up because B&H ran out.

EDIT 1.1: I'm going to send you a PM...

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Ok wow gotcha. You actually changed my mind completely! I might go with either the 780 or 580's. Bass is key but one final questions is, sound quality wise, are they worse or better or equal to the 2400's? Because I have read the 2400's are really clear and precise in picking up really small sounds. Also it has a really nice surround sound. My top genre is probably tech trance. There is many sounds as well as vocals and heavy bass at times. (Artists like W&W and Markus Schulz). You think the 780 or 580 match up sound quality and clarity wise? or better even?

Finally out of 580 and 780, personal opinion which would you choose and why?

I appreciate the feedback A LOT!

Nice, another Markus fan...
beerchug.gif

I'll throw another one in the mix- HFI-680...Better balanced across the spectrum than their brothers...That being said, either of three will suit your needs.

Cheers!!!

A little Prague '11 on a Sunday afternoon in SoFla...

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 9
Which pair did you go for?

Out of the 9 Ultrasones I've had, I found the distinction fairly easy. I always say; The HFI's are more metallic, more suited to electronic music. The Pro's are warmer and fuller. The DJ headphones (of which I have on right now) are simply an extension of the HFI, but with higher sensitivity. I am in the market again, although I've still got about 30+ pairs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back