ultrasone hfi 580 or what?
Apr 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:
Load of crap.

zardak, please do not flippantly dismiss the opinions of others.  It is not productive, nor does it positively contribute to discussion.  Additionally, it is against Head-Fi's Posting Guidelines.  Plus you have already been asked not to do this in other threads by Head-Fi's admins.  Whether you agree or disagree, please respect the opinions of others so that your opinions may be respected in kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude in Head-Fi's Posting Guidelines /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Curb any urge you may have to flippantly dismiss someone's opinion. (Examples: "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" or "That's bull****").

Quote:
I've never heard a single Sennheiser headphone ever that has hit the mark with transparency, accuracy, and perfect bass extension, there is always some fault that can be found with a Sennheiser headphone, none of them ever sound quite right.

For the record, the following is what you have previously said about a Sennheiser HD 449:

Quote:
I have the 449's ... So far i perceive clear detailed midrange, adequate but accurate bass (most headphones over do bass anyway) and very good highs, plus overall a natural warmish tone ... these are actually a good mix between accuracy and a little bit extra bass ... I can't really see how headphones could get much better than this to be honest

Also for the record, the following is what you have previously said about a Sennheiser HD 439:

Quote:
i find these 439's to be better than all of them ... To my ear these 439's have a nice open soundstage, clear natural detailed midrange, non-hyped but still punchy bass, and nicely accurate treble range ... these seem to have more focus, immediacy and coherency, plus no exaggerated tones, and defines the whole frequency spectrum with finesse and class ... they don't appear to have any shortcomings to my mind ... and these 439's i use as monitoring headphones and i think they are very detailed and well balanced right across the spectrum with pleasingly accurate tone.

Quote:
Sennheiser don't know how to design headphones, that's why.

As for Sennheiser's ability to design headphones...

Quote:
if a headphone is designed properly and is more accurate with all important aspects of performance presented correctly, you may find that hyped bass becomes undesirable. To my ear these 439's have a nice open soundstage, clear natural detailed midrange, non-hyped but still punchy bass, and nicely accurate treble range

Quote:

The sound you have explained, what you are looking for, is the Grado 125i ... but if money was no object, then yes, the Grado 325i is a step up from the 125i and has great balanced tone, the Grado 325i combines the good points of the 125i and the 225i into one.

Also, your opinion of Grado headphones seems to have changed:

Quote:
I also tried all the Grado's, every one of them, and it seems to me that people who like them need to go listen to their preferred music on proper studio Monitor speakers, the Grado's don't give anywhere near the truth of the original sound source ... there's no way the Grados are accurate, and you will wonder where the hell is the bass and what is all that shrill treble and anorexic-sounding audio spectrum ... the Skull Candy Aviators beat the legs of any Grado headphone

Quote:

Forget Shure

Quote:
one that is a no-brainer is the Shure SRH550DJ, the Shures are nigh on perfect ... The Ultrasones are about $129, and a damn good buy, the Shures can be gotten for $100, and the Skull-Candy Aviators are about $249. My pick of the three would be the Shures, i have all three of these headphones ... the Shures simply kick-ass all round, they back down to no one.

Quote:
i bought the Shure SRH550-DJ; you want a nice neutral headphone with excellent frequency balance and accurate bass and exceptional overall clarity, these are it, no joke, don't say you weren't told, they crush the others.

Quote:
And for the record, just to reiterate, i'm listening to the Shure 550's right now ... and yes, the Shure's are nothing short of brilliant, i simply cannot believe what i am hearing

Quote:

forget the Ultrasone 580

Quote:
the Ultrasone HFI-580 simply kick ass with accuracy all-round

Quote:
also top-notch, the Ultrasone HFI-580, i'm not playing games here man ... Ultrasone HFI580's simply Rocks!

Quote:
the closest to perfection that i have heard is the Ultrasone HFI 580 ... the Ultrasone 580 is just all attitude with class to boot while still being detailed and well balanced

Quote:

i am using the Audio Technica ATH-M50 with the brand spanking new FiiO E12, and that combination simply rocks

And for the record, here are some of your previous comments regarding the Audio Technica ATH-M50...

Quote:
Currently i am using "Kicker HP 541," ... better than Audio-Technica ATH M50, trust me

Quote:
i have done all the A/B tests many times over; these HP541s exceed the performance and quality of The audio-technica ATH M 50s

Quote:
the cliche overstated ATH M-50's are just hyped mediocre 'I also ran' headphones.

Quote:
The skull-candy 'Aviators' are definitely better than the Audio Technicas ... immensely better than the Audio Technica ATH-M50 ... That Audio Technica ATH-M50 is old-hat man, let it go, take it back

Quote:
and the M50's ... they do sound boxy and closed-in, plus they have sibilance issues, and they don't have much soundstage, they sound up front and claustrophobic ... ONLY if i had no other choice.

Quote:
the Audio technica ATH-M50 is crap

And just so the OP understands what I'm on about here:

Quote:
don't hold me responsible for what you choose to buy if you follow my advice

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #17 of 27
I don't know if I would characterize ANY Ultrasones as having forward mids... The 580's are pretty bad in particular. I'm not sure who told you that. I hear the 680's are the most neutral of the HFI line. If you don't want closed back, a lot of people seem to like the 2400's as well.

+1

My goto headphones are Ultrasone 780s and Grado SR225i, and I've spent a good deal of time with the SR80i and the 580s. The 780s do have less of a v-shaped response than 580s--that's the reason I ended up with the 780s. The 580s had a little too much bass emphasis for me, and so the 780s were better for a wider range of music. Since the 780s are cheaper than the 580s right now, I would recommend giving them a try before the 580s if you are looking for more mid presence.

That being said, the sound of the Ultrasones is nothing like the Grados if you like that sound. I like Ultrasones for bass heavy music, but I prefer the SR80i over the 580 and 780 for rock. The clarity of the mids and hi's are just better.

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #18 of 27
I have never seen a thread that compares Grado with Ultrasone.

The question now must be.  What kind of music do you like?
-Ultrasone is a more electronica centric can.
-Grado is more inline with rock music and metal.

Personally I think the HFI-580 is a perfectly acceptable headphone to look into.  Just be aware that the ultrasone does put quite a bit more emphasis on the bass and treble regions.  I tend to draw all my knowledge about these cans from the HFI-580 and the SR-60i.  

If you are looking for a mid-centric headphone that has more bass than a lower-end Grado.

Sennheiser HD598. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #19 of 27
zardak, please do not flippantly dismiss the opinions of others.  It is not productive, nor does it positively contribute to discussion.  Additionally, it is against Head-Fi's Posting Guidelines.  Plus you have already been asked not to do this in other threads by Head-Fi's admins.  Whether you agree or disagree, please respect the opinions of others so that your opinions may be respected in kind.

It is also ironic that the head-fi member who currently has demonstrated the most fickle taste in headphones over the last couple of months would be so quick to dismiss others. What's that saying about putting your own house in order first? Can't even argue with others if one doesn't know their own mind. :rolleyes:

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #20 of 27
It is also ironic that the head-fi member who currently has demonstrated the most fickle taste in headphones over the last couple of months would be so quick to dismiss others. What's that saying about putting your own house in order first? Can't even argue with others if one doesn't know their own mind. :rolleyes:

A salient question in this case might be: "which mind?" There seems to be several inside the same skull - and they are all fighting to get out...

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #21 of 27
funny billybob_jvc, i had a good laugh at that one, hang on! You didn't ask me "How i am? "Well i'll answer you anyway... "I'm fine, and i'm fine, and i'm fine." LOL: warrenpchi, cut the crap man, you're starting to be a one-trick pony with all this 'incessant' quoting and digging-up all my past review comments, no one gives a damn about my past posts, and neither do i, what counts is my 'current' opinion, and i can state that depending on the amp used, there can be a big difference in the tone of any given headphone, simple as that. I started-off with the Go-Vibe mini-Box amp, then stepped up to the FiiO E11, and now i'm using the FiiO E12, but hey, even that doesn't make me happy, because the new JDS Labs C5 blows them all away for pure accuracy and clean boosting, so this quoting frenzy of yours is just getting old mate, give it up already, it's getting a bit long in the tooth. Brooko, who cares about the graphs, those graphs do not tell the full story, the graph does not speak for the type of metal the driver is made of (Which affects significantly the tone and responsiveness of the headphone), and the graph does not speak for the affect of impedance rating, nor does it speak for the affect of the ear-cup design, and it certainly doesn't speak for the soundstage, so you tell me, why does the Sennheiser HD600 have as flat a graph as any headphone could reasonably expect to have, and yet after listening closely to the HD600 the tone is indeed 'flat' plus dark and lifeless with shonky veiled treble. That Shure 840 is indeed a good all-round headphone in general, and it does have a bit of extra bass extension (on paper) that the Grado 125i doesn't have, but listening to it does not show that, those bass frequencies in the Shure are slim on the ground from a hearing perspective, it has no grit and body to it, so the tech-speak for the bass on the Shure 840 is a waste of time. You could quote specs for a formula 1 race car or Nascar till you're blue in the face, but that doesn't tell you how the car feels and drives, right? Be a bit more lateral and realistic in your thinking man.

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:
Brooko, who cares about the graphs, those graphs do not tell the full story, the graph does not speak for the type of metal the driver is made of (Which affects significantly the tone and responsiveness of the headphone), and the graph does not speak for the affect of impedance rating, nor does it speak for the affect of the ear-cup design, and it certainly doesn't speak for the soundstage, so you tell me, why does the Sennheiser HD600 have as flat a graph as any headphone could reasonably expect to have, and yet after listening closely to the HD600 the tone is indeed 'flat' plus dark and lifeless with shonky veiled treble. That Shure 840 is indeed a good all-round headphone in general, and it does have a bit of extra bass extension (on paper) that the Grado 125i doesn't have, but listening to it does not show that, those bass frequencies in the Shure are slim on the ground from a hearing perspective, it has no grit and body to it, so the tech-speak for the bass on the Shure 840 is a waste of time. You could quote specs for a formula 1 race car or Nascar till you blue in the face, but that doesn't tell you how the car feels and drives, right? Be a bit more lateral and realistic in your thinking man.

Actually - what the driver is made of has no bearing at all (re freq response graphs) on the comparisons.  They are measured on a dummy - and show the actual frequency response as it hits the ear.  The graphs measure what the graphs measure.  They clearly show and I (and many others) can attest to the fact that the SRH840 has much more bass (mostly mid-bass, but that's what gives it the thump) than the SR60i.  And both the SRH840 and SR60 actually have more bass than the 125i.  In fact the 125i is probably the most bass light Grado in the entire SR range.  I heard it extensively with my own ears on my own gear when I was evaluating which Grado I wanted to eventually move to (I had a little over 4 hours with the SR60i, SR80i, SR125i, SR225i and SR325i).  The ones I haven't heard yet are the reference series - hopefully I'll have my chance next time I'm back in the US next year.

The reason that you perceive the HD600 as being flat, lifeless and veiled is solely down to your own preferences, your own hearing, and possibly the fact that you underpowered them when you initially heard them.  But it doesn't matter anyway - your preferences are your preferences.  You are entitled to a different opinion and I respect that.  What I don't respect is that every time someone has disagreed with you on these forums you have immediately attacked them - called them names, and tried to belittle them.  Your answers - especially when irrefutable facts are given (ie actual material data to back up an opinion) - seem to be to ignore, discredit, and deny.  That is your call - but continually doing so only makes your position appear more ridiculous.

Many of the most respected commentators in the industry respect the HD600 as being one of the true gems in the headphone world - even after more than 15 years.  Although you disagree - you could at least show the headphone a bit of respect.  I and many others agree that Sennhesier has earned it with the HD600.  And that includes people like Tyll, David Solomon, LFF - the list just goes on.

Respect goes both ways - you'd earn it if you'd give it.

I hope you enjoy the SR125i - it is another really good headphone.  If you are Ok with modding it, opening the cups, and carefully putting 2 more holes in the gauze at the back of both drivers will give you a bit more bass response.  The SR60i modding thread is a good place to start getting ideas.

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #23 of 27
warrenpchi, cut the crap man, you're starting to be a one-trick pony with all this 'incessant' quoting and digging-up all my past review comments, no one gives a damn about my past posts,

Someone who changes their mind constantly has very little credibility, because the indication is that their opinions are not well-formed, particularly when that person shows complete disdain for what everyone else says. Newbies coming here for advice need to know when someone who claims that one headphone is the greatest headphone ever and everyone else is wrong, that the day before he said the same thing about a different headphone, and the day before that a different one, and the week before another one. And week before that another one. . . .

So those of us who are trying to help others do care very much. You are NOT being helpful to others. I repeat, and I'm sure everyone else will agree, you are NOT being helpful to others.

You also don't seem to have an interest in getting along with any of the regular head-fiers, so what's the point of posting here? If it's just to incite other forum members, you won't be around too long.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:
warrenpchi, cut the crap man, you're starting to be a one-trick pony with all this 'incessant' quoting and digging-up all my past review comments

You went into a recommendation thread three weeks ago and straight away disrespected the opinions of the other posters.  You then proceeded to emphatically convince the OP of that thread that he/she should purchase an Ultrasone HFI-580 (or a Shure SRH-550DJ).  Less than two weeks later, you decide that you don't like the HFI-580 anymore and want to sell it.  Now you're suggesting that the OP of this thread purchase your current flavor of the month. 

IMO, that is doing a disservice to new members seeking valuable and informed advice in terms of what to purchase.  Not everyone has access to a local headphone retailer or no-hassle return policies.  Some members might incur a significant expense by having to return or exchange gear.  Yet, you don't seem to take that into consideration at all when you post your recommendations.

Look mate, this is Head-Fi, not the comments section of a YouTube video where you can utter whatever you like without any accountability whatsoever.  We have standards here, and one of them is that we take recommendations very seriously.  If you'd like to participate in a respectful and responsible manner, I'm all for it and welcome your contributions.  I think that, given the number of headphones you've auditioned (and continue to audition), you have the potential to be a valued member here... if you wanted to be.

At the end of the day, I cannot stop you from saying anything you want to say.  And in so far as I believe in free speech, I would not try to stop you even if I could.  But know this:  if you continue to put down the opinions of your fellow Head-Fi members, or make strong purchase recommendations that contradict your own previous statements, I would be happy to quote you back to yourself until the end of time if need be.

Doing so is not against the rules or posting guidelines, and I intend to avail myself of such opportunities if and when they present themselves.  Have a nice day! 
smile.gif

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #25 of 27
I'm still thinking HFI 680 might be it. Or maybe 780 if you want a little extra sparkle. I mean, you could try the 580's, who knows, you may love them. They are fairly dark, though, and the bass is pretty huge. Either of the steps up would tame the bass a little bit, but by no means are they bass light.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't heard any Grados yet, but I have the feeling I would like them. Grado and Ultrasone owners seem to have this thing with torturing their ears' tolerances. 
biggrin.gif

Have you heard the 580's?!

They are FAR from dark...

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:
Have you heard the 580's?!

They are FAR from dark...

To be fair, I was comparing them to Sig Pro's at the time... Also my main headphones were PRO 900's for about a year before that point. 
tongue_smile.gif

But compared to 780's and presumably the 680's? Yeah, I wouldn't say it was too far a stretch to say they're darker. It's that bass that does it, it was a lot bigger than I expected.

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #27 of 27
Compared to other ultrasones I could see it. Especially the pro 900 :wink:.
I've never heard any of their signature headphones however.

Compared to a neutral headphone though, they are pretty bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back