Ultrasone HFI 580 or HFI 780 or...
Sep 2, 2008 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mishkakrisa

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm looking for a closed and foldable(or at least transportable) set of cans.

I'm trying to find he best sound given these requirements.

I listen mostly to funk, hiphop and rock so bass is important.

The hfi 780's sound brilliant...but some user reviews have left me wondering if they're too harsh.

The hfi 580's sound brilliant, but I think I might miss out on some of the qualities of the hfi 780's.

Can anybody with experience with these two cans advise? Or offer an alternative.

Thanks for your help guys!

All the best,
Mish

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 10
then go for HFI780...but HFI780 are just an HFI580 with more treble and bass...
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #4 of 10
well, i only had audition the ALO 780 yet...not the stock one, the sibilance or harsh that says had been detected on stock HFI780 are not found on that ALO modded 780 that i've heard...and it's really are sound (almost) like stock Ed9...
regular_smile .gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 10
well if you find the hfi780 to harsh apparently you can get them recabled to lessen the harshness. I'm listening to a S2 recabled hfi780 right now and I'm very happy with them. The bass is very good to my ears.

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 10
Welll, I have both of them. And I can tell you that 580 is more sibilant than 780. For that reason, 780 is more suited for all around use. The SQ is more defined and the bass is a tad bit less than 580 but it's more textured. However, if I'd had to keep one, I'd keep my 580. To me, 780 sort of sounds boring. There's not much exciting about it. On the other hand, 580 may not be as defined as 780 but it's more exciting and punch and lively. Sibilance may put off some people but I find it sibilant only on the records that are recorded harsh (defective). It doesn't sound sibilant at all when I listen to properly recorded albums.

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 10
The 780 sound doesnt hurt my ears at all, but then I have been using AD700 that also suppose to be hash. So I prolly either used to the hash or dont know what I suppose to be listening for.
Also If you do go for the HFI-780, you can get them for 161 dollars from northernsound.net after the one time fee of a dollar to there club.

My HFI-780 is burned in I forgot how many hours as I been using them all day every day since I got them. And I still enjoy them to these days in music and games.

Nov 27, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welll, I have both of them. And I can tell you that 580 is more sibilant than 780. For that reason, 780 is more suited for all around use. The SQ is more defined and the bass is a tad bit less than 580 but it's more textured. However, if I'd had to keep one, I'd keep my 580. To me, 780 sort of sounds boring. There's not much exciting about it. On the other hand, 580 may not be as defined as 780 but it's more exciting and punch and lively. Sibilance may put off some people but I find it sibilant only on the records that are recorded harsh (defective). It doesn't sound sibilant at all when I listen to properly recorded albums.

how much more sibilant, will this even out with a long burn, dont most ultra take an extra long burn?

so the 580 def has more punch?

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much more sibilant, will this even out with a long burn, dont most ultra take an extra long burn?

so the 580 def has more punch?

580's are more sibilant in the high frequency where as 780's are more sibilant in the upper mid frequency. Although they do seem to even out a bit, you can still hear the sibilance after the burn in. However, the sibilance in the 580's made everything sound lively and exciting but the 780's just sounded painful to me although it offered more texture and detail. If that's what you want, go with 780's but if you want punchy bass and lively sound, go with 580's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back