Ultrasone HFI 580, HFI 780, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro Vs Audio Technica ATH-M50
Jul 4, 2010 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

PrODuCeRR

New Head-Fier
Hey guys what headphones do you think are the best out of these can`s would you go with a pair of Ultrasone or M50`s are I am looking for something with good overall sound that is Loud but also very Bassy, I believe all of these can`s have ok bass I just want to know what you guys think which one`s have superior bass and sound if you had to number them 1 to 4 what order would you go but remember main thing is good bass so whatever have the best bass number them from 1 to 4 if you can thanks guy i would really like to know what you guys think about the Ultrasone cause I have been told to pick up The M50`s but I just want to know if Ultrasone are better for bass and overall sound plus the Ultrasone cost double almost...

Jul 4, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 36
I believe the M50s are IMMENSELY overrated. I think the Ultrasone Pro series are very underrated.

IMO Ultrasones are for the audiophile bassheads.

The S-Logic system work incredibly well in the PRO series. It gives a huge impression of a huge sound stage. However, the HFI series are also very bassy but with upfront stage(the S Logic does little for HFI series). For maximum bass and sound quality for the money, I'd recommend the Ultrasone PRO 550 and the Ultrasone HFI 580. 

I would not recommend the Pro 650, Denons can do everything the 650 does but better. The 750 and up sound great though, for the relatively unmatched bass impact and clarity.

I find the M50s boring and not worth the money. There are many headphones that sound like the M50s IMO. I'd prefer my headphones to stand out and do something great, rather than nothing great.

Jul 4, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 36

Quote:
Hey guys what headphones do you think are the best out of these can`s would you go with a pair of Ultrasone or M50`s are I am looking for something with good overall sound that is Loud but also very Bassy, I believe all of these can`s have ok bass I just want to know what you guys think which one`s have superior bass and sound if you had to number them 1 to 4 what order would you go but remember main thing is good bass so whatever have the best bass number them from 1 to 4 if you can thanks guy i would really like to know what you guys think about the Ultrasone cause I have been told to pick up The M50`s but I just want to know if Ultrasone are better for bass and overall sound plus the Ultrasone cost double almost...

The difference is do you want quantity or do you want quality?

My favorite producers, none of them use quantity bass headphones.  Armin van Burren uses K701s.  BT I've seen using Sony's which are also fairly bass light.  I believe Paul van Dyke uses a pair of Pioneer which are also not known to be basshead headphones.

And btw, all of these artists make music exclusively known for bass lines.

www.gearslutz.com  is an EXCELLENT FORUM FOR PRODUCERS of electronic music with bass.
-  These professionals don't think the M50 are overrated but underrated.

Jul 4, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 36

Quote:
M50's immensely overrated at online pricing of <$100? Might be the most immensely silly observation on Headfi.

<$100? I guess I am not underground enough to find these prices you are referring too. If same logic is applied to Ultrasone, a few more Alexander Hamiltons will get you a more exciting headphone.

BTW, I am a fan of Audio Technica. But, over rated is my opininon of M50s.

Jul 4, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 36

Quote:
www.gearslutz.com  is an EXCELLENT FORUM FOR PRODUCERS of electronic music with bass.
-  These professionals don't think the M50 are overrated but underrated.

Yes, studio headphones are great for production of music. Can not say the same for pleasure listening

Jul 4, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 36
In all honesty, I personally would have a hard time choosing.

It's a this point where you should audition the headphones and check which ones are to your liking.

I got the M50s, which are far from being boring headphones and love them. They've got a good amount of punch whenever you're listening to some mix sessions.

Nonetheless check out the ultrasones, they are apparently great headphones for electronic music.
I cannot comment much about 'em, but I was about to try the 580 and the 780 after hearing reviews about their sound signature which were fit for electronic music.

If you want to broaden your headphone list, check out the DT770/60ohm and the Denon D2000. Both of these headphones excel in bass heavy music.

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 36
Yah i am not a real Producerr lol this is just a gamertag i use on xboxd live now they do not have to be the m50`s or the Ultrasone if you know of a better pair of headphones that produce alot of deep punchy bass with ok mids and highs please let me know my spending limit is 250 dollars i just need something that will sound good when i pump up the rap music on my computer from a headphone amp , but main thing i am looking for is BASS And LOTS OF IT...

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #11 of 36
yah wind016 i was looking into the Ultrasone 580`s i am probably going to get them , but i am just trying pick between the Ultrasone HFI 580`s and the Denon AD-HP1000 and the beyerdynamic dt770 but i do not know which one`s have the best deep bass which vibrates the cans ...

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #13 of 36
So These Are Cans I am very interested in I just want to hear more feedback on each pair

1. Ultrasone HFI 580
2. Shure DJ 700s
3. Denon AD-HP1000
4. Beyerdynamic DT770

I am just not sure which one if i were to get the beyer dt770 which model should i get the 250 ohms or 80 ohms or i see one with 32 ohms  i am not sure but they are going to cost me over 200 and all 3 other pairs are going to cost under 200 so if someone can find a pair of beyer dt770 for under 200 Canadian let me know what if not its going to be out of the top 3 pairs

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #14 of 36

Quote:
So These Are Cans I am very interested in I just want to hear more feedback on each pair

1. Ultrasone HFI 580
2. Shure DJ 700s
3. Denon AD-HP1000
4. Beyerdynamic DT770

I am just not sure which one if i were to get the beyer dt770 which model should i get the 250 ohms or 80 ohms or i see one with 32 ohms  i am not sure but they are going to cost me over 200 and all 3 other pairs are going to cost under 200 so if someone can find a pair of beyer dt770 for under 200 Canadian let me know what if not its going to be out of the top 3 pairs

The Ultrasone DJ1 Pro are supposed to be Pro 550s, i believe. I loved these headphones before I sold them to make money for a Denon D7000. Don't get me wrong, I love the Denons. Absolutely love them, but I miss the Pro 550s. The 550s have tighter and more bass than the Denons. The Denons have slower and less bass. They seem equally spacious-sounding.

I tried the Beyers that you are referring to. They did not in anyway satisfy my intense basshead bass cravings. They are very spacious sounding though. Very nice and detailed cans. I can not comment on the Shures and the Denon HP.

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #15 of 36
The HFI 580 has more bass than the 550 PRO. The Ultrasone are more focused towards electronica music. Absolutely great with them, however, my hiphop loving friends love them too. Both genres emphasize bass so it makes sense. Denons would probably do hiphop better but IMO they do electronica worse than Ultrasones doing hiphop. It seems easier to slow down bass than it is to make it tight, fast, and thumpy. I believe it has to do with the design of the headphone.

HFI- upfront sound, most bass quantity
PRO- spacious, more versatile

Ultrasone- Fast bass
Denons -  Slower bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back