Ultrasone: HFI-580 a good bass phone to accompany my HD600?
Aug 21, 2008 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Pecker

100+ Head-Fier
I love my HD600!

They have everything but I would like some extra bass sometimes.

Would the HFI-580 be a good parter to the HD600 for when I want that bit more bass?

Are there any other good cheap bass cans?

Looking to spend no more than $300 however I don't mind buying used so higher models can be stated too.

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 19
If the 580's are similair to the 780, I say yes.

I use the HD600's for general listening and the HFI780's for a kick in the stomach
tongue.gif
. They are a 'bit' uncomforable though and can sound harsh and siblant.

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 19
Well I have read about the shrill in the highs and the sibilant downside as well.

However the 580 is meant to be better for the highs but still the punchy bass.

Now the D2000 are what I have been eyeing up for a while.

But then I read the good bass on the Ultrasones.

Any other recommendations?

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 19
Bass on 580 is punchy and has a good impact. IMO, it's an excellent choice for rock and trance. If you are worried about the shrill then I'd say it does exist on some poorly recorded albums but it's rather exciting and aggressive on well recorded albums.

I just listen to some radiohead, shinedown, wilco and Black Stone Cherry last night for two hours and it still amazes me how well it reproduces guitar riffs to that of real thing.

If you are interested in getting one, I'd say go for it. You won't be disappointed. Especially for what it costs now days. (About $140)
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, it sounds just as good unamped, too.
cool.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 19
wow good to hear that it sounds good with radiohead!

So would you say going for them is a good choice or if i have the money to go for a higher ultrasone?

Aug 22, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #8 of 19
My HFI-780 sounds like the HD600, overall, but with excellent bass -- you will think you died and went to Heaven!
They are amazing.

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 19
I bought 580 instead of 780 because of it's attractive price and looks. Little did I know I'd fall in love for it's SQ, too. But if you have the money and want the best thing out there (other than ED9), then I'd say go for 780 first. 580 is a great phone for what it costs but I don't believe it's a contender to 780 as far as the SQ is concerned.

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pecker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i like the sound
wink.gif
of that!

Good!
Just be sure to let the HFI-780 burn-in for around 200 hours, to be sure the sound settles down to it's normal, great quality.

In the big 780 thread, many of us posted about this -- the 780 can sometimes sound weird *during* the burn-in period, and actually scares some peeps into thinking they are defective or something -- but, have faith and wait it out, and you will be rewarded with one of the best sounds for the money avaialbale.
No lie. I picked up my pair one time during the burn-in period, and nearly had a heart-attack, they sounded so bad! -- but, later, when I picked them up again, they had turned into the great sound they now have.
I figured this burn-in warning should be repeated sometimes, so that new owners don't possibly get discouraged with their new 780's.

And I like mine best with the normal stock cable, even though some peeps get them re-cabled -- so, don't feel they *need* a re-cable to sound good.

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #13 of 19
It seems like they share the same drivers so I imagine them to have similar SQs.

Aug 22, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #15 of 19
The independence could just be a different cable?

I may try get the 780 on the FS forum then!

I can bypass the burn in stage then
biggrin.gif
thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back