Ultrasone fans where are you?
Apr 23, 2020 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

RonyG

New Head-Fier
Hi all, just wondering why its so quiet on the Ultrasone front?
I have an HFI 780 for 15 years now and had a Pro DJ1 also. Maybe its time to upgrade? not sure what to get?

Pro 900i or 880 or Sig DJ? I didnt auditioned any of them, what I would want is an 780 on steroids but I really like the SQ of the 780.

What do you think?

Apr 23, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 35
There will be some fans, but not really a company that has been able to establish itself nearly as well as you would expect. I won't lie, the one time that I seriously auditioned an Ultrasone, I found it absolutely unappealing as a sound signature, just an abysmal failure. I ended up not taking them seriously after that, in particular given their seemingly unshakeable belief in their proprietary DSP adjustments which from what I heard, that one signature, it was not at all a good thing.

Saying that, that is only a sample of one, and a number of years ago so I acknowledge that things might be quite different now. The issue is that the number of reviews and impressions of Ultrasone are few and far between. Add to that the fact that the prices are high, availability to listen before buying very low and it makes it difficult to take a chance with them. There used to be a local dealer that stocked demo models, I'll have to see if they still do. Perhaps it is time to give Ultrasone another listen.

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 35
Still have Sig Pro, love them

Apr 23, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 35
Pic

Attachments

• 11210558.png
    11210558.png
    641.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 24, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 35
Every once in a while I take out my HFI-580s and give them a listen, and man, do they hold up nicely. Back in the day I think they were competing with the DT770 Pro 80 and ATH-M50, and I felt they absolutely demolished the M50, and were quite close to the DT770. It's a shame they were never really as popular as the other two.

I also owned the Pro(line) 750 several times and really enjoyed them, but I really think the 580s were the real gem of Ultrasone's lineup. While I think the 750 was generally a little better and more refined, I don't think the price was justified, as I think they were like 2-3x as much.

I'd also like to give a shout-out to the S-Logic thing. For a lot of music it just didn't sound right, but for movies and games it was absolutely fantastic. This kind of plays into why I think the 580 was the real gem: it had the most mild S-Logic effect, making them the most traditional sounding of all the Ultrasones I heard.

Apr 24, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 35
Every once in a while I take out my HFI-580s and give them a listen, and man, do they hold up nicely. Back in the day I think they were competing with the DT770 Pro 80 and ATH-M50, and I felt they absolutely demolished the M50, and were quite close to the DT770. It's a shame they were never really as popular as the other two.

I also owned the Pro(line) 750 several times and really enjoyed them, but I really think the 580s were the real gem of Ultrasone's lineup. While I think the 750 was generally a little better and more refined, I don't think the price was justified, as I think they were like 2-3x as much.

I'd also like to give a shout-out to the S-Logic thing. For a lot of music it just didn't sound right, but for movies and games it was absolutely fantastic. This kind of plays into why I think the 580 was the real gem: it had the most mild S-Logic effect, making them the most traditional sounding of all the Ultrasones I heard.

Yes I was thinking about them as well, while I have the 780 which are great, I"m afraid the 580 would be a major downgrade, but people are crazy for the 580.
Thank you for the response Kufuk

Apr 24, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #8 of 35
I recently got back into the headphone game, always been a fan of Closed Back headphones for a more intimate sound. Purchased a brand new pair of DXP's recently and they have performed well past my expectations. I owned the ALO HFI-780s and stock 780's back in the day. Enjoyed the sound but the ear pads just didn't sit right on my ears and hurt after an hour of listening. Always wanted to try the 750 and 900's.

Seeing as you like the 780.. logical step is the DXP :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 35
I recently got back into the headphone game, always been a fan of Closed Back headphones for a more intimate sound. Purchased a brand new pair of DXP's recently and they have performed well past my expectations. I owned the ALO HFI-780s and stock 780's back in the day. Enjoyed the sound but the ear pads just didn't sit right on my ears and hurt after an hour of listening. Always wanted to try the 750 and 900's.

Seeing as you like the 780.. logical step is the DXP :wink:

Hi I was thinking between Pro900i or the Signature DJ, but I'm afraid this too could be could be too bright and revealing low quality recordings, as I am more into EDM lately,
Hows the DXP in that genre? thanks

Apr 24, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #10 of 35
Apr 25, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #12 of 35
I am not exactly a fan of ultrasone...
I just wanted to get the most enjoyable sound in planes/trains ..as a closed headphone, till now, I prefer to use the Ultrasone ed 15 veritas over the Sony Z7M2 though, the Z7M2 is a more open stage, but with less clear impacts in bass and sub bass as high frequencies of the ultrasone ar also crystal clear.
For home use, I am waiting to replace my Z7M2 for a heedphone mid of next week (with monolyth AAA-THX 887 and xduoo XD-05 Plus) and at office I use a KS-H4 (with M10).
Actually as a closed headphone, Whith this ultrasone I don't look anywhere else anymore for a year now , as I finally really enjoy all my trips now with it. They are only hand made on order by ultrasone, but really worth to give a try if they are somewhere to be listen too... I have never enjoyed travelling so much with any other closed headphones or IEMs.
IMG_1555.jpg
IMG_0973PSCC.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #14 of 35
not a fan with 3000 euro dollar headphones...:rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes:
Initially, I was just tired to buy so many closed headphones, though some were cheaper of course, but, I could never really enjoying listening music for so many hours in planes (intercontinental trips Europe to Asia) like I do with Ed15 Veritas.
As I am European, I wanted to try once a hand build on order headphones, that I would be sure all things where settle when I received them (even measurements done of the unit I buy).. I was basically not so impressed by the focal Stellia in a listening room (though I am French too), that's why i tried Ultrasone over Focal.
I would say, It was my last try with closed headphones with those. Luckily they could provide more or less what I was expecting from such cans
Because, I was happy with this try, and not particularly attached to Ultrasone, I ordered two months ago, the heddphone and not the open version of the Ed15, for indoor use. Basically, they are as if hand mounted on order by Hedd in Germany like Ultrasone (though some parts are made in china), I am nearly sure quality will be there and I expect to be pleased with them, If not I will sell them on ebay.
And just in case service or parts are needed in a time, I am sure it will be much better in Europe with those two firms (Ultrasone, Hedd or even Focal) than with american products, I don't think they care any European customers, too risky and complicated for us.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #15 of 35
Well they are an awesome looking pair of headphones for sure. Hope you get many hours in listening with them on your flights etc. Headphones just seem to be increasing in price nowadays, its getting a little out of hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back