Ultrasone Edition 9's - really that good?
Oct 29, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #16 of 117
Edition 9 midrange does not sound liquid comparing to the Qualia 010...but that one is hard to match.

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #17 of 117
i haven't heard the Ed.9, but my problem with them is that its specs are virtually identical to the Proline 750, except the latter is 1/3 of the cost.

i never knew Ethiopian sheep hair was so expensive.
blink.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #18 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stop trying to sell your headphones here
plainface.gif

that was not intended that way Mr. Peezy. It was a reply to the post b4 stating that the ED9s weren't built well and that the GS1000s were.

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #19 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i haven't heard the Ed.9, but my problem with them is that its specs are virtually identical to the Proline 750, except the latter is 1/3 of the cost.

blink.gif

I owned the Proline 2500 which is the open version of the 750 and now I have the UE9. I can say this much....there is a very small amount of family resemblance, not much, but some, yes in how they sound.

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #20 of 117
Ed 9s are great sounding headphones. For me, I prefer the GS-1000s at a smaller price, so they are not worth it. For others they might easily be worth it. Great headphones if they fit your taste.

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #21 of 117
Quote:

blink.gif

Maybe you should have stopped as soon as you typed the first clause, but because you did not do that I would say that the specs aren't a good guide here at all. The 750s don't sound much like the Ed. 9s at all to my experience having heard both. They are certainly not in the same class regardless of sound signature. The Ed. 9s sound closer to the 2500s, but not all that close, and that is an oddity given that those open cans (2500s) sound more like closed cans than the open cans in that lineup (750s).

By the way, it is Ethiopian hair sheep leather, which is a very expensive type of leather used in high-end leather clothing. No hair is involved.
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #22 of 117
Quote:

headphones are a personal experience so one persons detailed is another persons etched, one persons warm is anothers slow and thick
So with that take my views with a grain of salt. I find these to really be attractive at first but after a while when you compare them to ther dynamic headphones in my case old RS1s, akg k1000s and HP2s these to me came off as not quite natural sounding. The only way I could describe the sound is it has a rubbery/plastic texure to it. I have a good friend who absolutely loves these and beleives my views on these are way off. You really have to listen to them to see if they are for you.

It is funny, and as you say very personal, but to find the Edition not natural sounding, and finding natural sounding the RS-1, that paints the sound with Crayola, and the K-1000 that rolls off at 60Hz the lows, it is very weird to me, no doubts that we all hear differently...

Quote:

blink.gif

You have not heard them, and you are then bashing what you have not heard based just in specs...That explains the reasoning after that sentence, please do yuorself a favor, go and listen them and let us know later on if you find them similar sounding, regardless of using the same drivers...About the leather, it is not that expensive, but it does changes the sound dramatically...

Oct 29, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #23 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you should have stopped as soon as you typed the first clause, but because you did not do that I would say that the specs aren't a good guide here at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have not heard them, and you are then bashing what you have not heard based just in specs.

you guys are way out of line.
mad.gif

i clearly qualified my statement by saying that i had not heard them. but the specs are printed for all to see. and by looking at the specs, these headphones - the Ed.9s - are virtually identical to the much, much cheaper 750s and that is the sole basis of my opinion and my "problem" with them. i have no idea how they actually sound and never implied or stated as such.

Oct 29, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #24 of 117
Quote:

you guys are way out of line.
mad.gif

i clearly qualified my statement by saying that i had not heard them. but the specs are printed for all to see. and by looking at the specs, these headphones - the Ed.9s - are virtually identical to the much, much cheaper 750s and that is the sole basis of my opinion and my "problem" with them. i have no idea how they actually sound and never implied or stated as such. if the two headphones actually sound vastly different, then i would be interested in where the differences come from.

They indeed do sound completelly different, and it is curious, how many people here believe that a simple cable swap make one heapdhone sound different to the same heapdhone with stock cable, calling those differences day and night, and while they see two completelly different headphones, just sharing drivers, they hesitate in beleive that they do sound different....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Well it is very simple indeed, if you have not seen them in front of you, I will tell you that they have different cups with different internal volume, different material, the cups have padding inside, also different position of the drivers, different opening of the area exposed, different distance from the driver to the hear and different angle, different tunning of the drivers, the ports in the back of the drivers are covered differently, different pads material, and different cables, and probably better matching of the drivers as well, maybe some of those differences make them sound different, I don't know...but I suggest also to ask Florian as well, he is the only who could offer the right answers, IIRC he answered all my emails as well while I asked him...

Also try them, you will be surprised the same way I was, it is totally a different heapdhone...amazing what the surroundings can do to a driver...

Oct 29, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #25 of 117
I sold my pair, but one thing I will give them is they have the most amazing sounding trebles I've ever listened too. They are uncomfortable but once you do the cable mod it gets ALOT (Alot alot) more comfortable, like just as comfortable as beyers and such. In retrospect, should I have sold them? Yeah, cuz with the money I bought a pair of HP-2s and a nice amp, but they were pretty damn nice. For the money, you could buy an amazing pair of darth beyers which are really good, but different sounding pair of headphones. I would say these are some of the best for acoustic and other high treble musics.

Oct 29, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #26 of 117
This is second time listening to UE9 and I will say it's a great performing can. I just wish they make an open version and cost around $400. I also wonder how good UE9 will sound in balanced mode. I am sure the bass will be bone shattering deep and treble will leave goose bumps
wink.gif

In the end, I prefer balanced Senn sound because I built my system around it and for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read what SK138 said about the mid-range over on the thread I linked too. He has no dog in the fight, so to speak. He was speaking about the Yamamoto but this was in context with the UE9 as well.

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #29 of 117
I broke down and got myself an Edition 9. Right now it's off being recabled by Alex with his V3 cable, and in the meantime I've been listening to my other main headphones, the AKG 701s (recabled by cantsleep). I had stopped listening to the 701s because the Edition 9 seemed much more lively, but now I realize that the 701s take almost as much time to break in as the Edition 9(!) .. and on certain recordings they now sound very nice and neutral, especially those where the Edition 9 bass is too much. So my question to you guys is whether I should keep the 701 or not? Does anyone know how good the sound of a fully broken-in 701 is, especially compared to the Edition 9? Is the sound complementary, i.e., would I be sorry if I sold it? (Sovkiller, what in particular don't you like about the 701s?)

In ideal world I would keep the 701s, but my finances aren't so happy with keeping a large number of headphones around that I only listen to occasionally.

Thanks for any advice,
Paolo

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #30 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by coppi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I broke down and got myself an Edition 9. Right now it's off being recabled by Alex with his V3 cable, and in the meantime I've been listening to my other main headphones, the AKG 701s (recabled by cantsleep). I had stopped listening to the 701s because the Edition 9 seemed much more lively, but now I realize that the 701s take almost as much time to break in as the Edition 9(!) .. and on certain recordings they now sound very nice and neutral, especially those where the Edition 9 bass is too much. So my question to you guys is whether I should keep the 701 or not? Does anyone know how good the sound of a fully broken-in 701 is, especially compared to the Edition 9? Is the sound complementary, i.e., would I be sorry if I sold it? (Sovkiller, what in particular don't you like about the 701s?)

In ideal world I would keep the 701s, but my finances aren't so happy with keeping a large number of headphones around that I only listen to occasionally.

Thanks for any advice,
Paolo

The 701 to me is a completelly unenvolving heapdhone, too much leakage, and soft sounding, to my ears it doesn't do anything right, it is like a failed attempt of a good heapdhone, I prefer much any other instead, even the HD650 that is not my cup of tea neither...to me 701 was not what many AKG followers were expecting, nor me, and in some circles, the 601 is still considered as better...

The Edition is a good heapdhone and I love it, BTW the bass is not too much, IMO what you heard is the recording, if it has too much bass recorded it will just show you what is in there, for more than people wants me to think otherwise, it is the frist time I feel a heapdhone doing the bass right, maybe a cultural issue, but I found the rest always lacking in that dpt....to the point that I got the PPA with bassboost to compensate that, which now I currently do not need anymore, nor use anymore....

IMO there is no doubt the Edition is to me a far better overall headphone than the 701...

Now wait for more opinions and listen both and compare and decided what to do....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back