Ultrasone Edition 9 (w/APS Balanced Furutech Rhodium Cable): Impressions
Dec 19, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #16 of 40
Really great to hear that they improve with proper burn-in, and that you after almost two weeks finally seem to start enjoying them...
Nice!
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGhostWhoWalks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An interesting wrench was thrown into the works a few days ago as a pair of L3Ks (my original choice) came up for sale on Audiogon. Since I regretted missing the last pair I jumped on these, even at the slightly high price. I've sent them to Apuresound for balanced recabling and should have them within a month so I'll be able to directly compare them to the E9s.

Glad to hear you're liking the Edition 9's. They are certainly excellent headphones. Ultimately I ended up preferring both the L3000 and PS-1. No amount of burn in ever solved the issues I had with the ED9's, specifically the recessed mids and slightly unnatural tone, so I unfortunately had to part ways with them. I too did not have a major comfort issue with them. They only started to bother me after extended listening periods greater than two hours. I'm eager to hear your impressions comparing the L3000's and ED9's.

I'm disappointed to find out you supported waddragon/lobster king(a former banned member here) on audiogon by buying the L3000's he was flipping, although I can understand your lack of awareness with his reputation here based on your post count. At least you liberated them from him and they are now back in the community.

Enjoy the new toys.

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to hear you're liking the Edition 9's. They are certainly excellent headphones. Ultimately I ended up preferring both the L3000 and PS-1. No amount of burn in ever solved the issues I had with the ED9's, specifically the recessed mids and slightly unnatural tone, so I unfortunately had to part ways with them. I too did not have a major comfort issue with them. They only started to bother me after extended listening periods greater than two hours. I'm eager to hear your impressions comparing the L3000's and ED9's.

That was my take on the Ed.9 too, a bit too much bass, recessed midrange and not natural tone. Also, when you get the L3000 please compare them to your Ed. 9. I found the L3000 to have as much PRaT as the Ed.9 but sound more refined overall with nicer tonal balancee than the Ed.9. I think they might be your king of rocks for you. In the meantime, hope the SDS-XLR can bring out the best in them.

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they may never be the R-10 killer but they are most enjoyable in their own right.

I was never looking for an R10 killer (in my experience, for my tastes, there is no such thing), but I was looking for a phone more complimentary on hard rock and metal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tubes that work best for me in my SP MPX3 are a Western Electric JV-2c51 and some Sylvania 6bl7gta's.

I've been looking for some 2C51s to try out and will likely buy some soon on eBay; as for the 6BL7GTAs (though I only have the RCAs) I've always found them a bit dark; more musical than the L7GTs and X7GTs but not as open, and not as warm as the 6SN7s. I'll hunt for some Sylvanias though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just received a pair of APS-recabled UE9s and found this review interesting. Compared to my Denon MD5000s though, now with mulga cups, I'd say the Denon has the edge on sounding natural and more open,

Are they burned in? Because the difference between burned-in and non-burned-in is huge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as the s-logic on the Ultrasones hasn't done anything particularly magical, though it sounds like the least like I'm listening to something stuck on the side of my ears. I wish the UE9s had thicker and larger pads though, as not being able to move them much on my ears, I still get more of a closed-in sound, and can't experiment with positioning to get optimal results.

I've also noticed that the S-logic seems to have almost no effect different from other phones; though occasionally I'll hear an 'out-of-head' sound from cymbals or other more ethereal instrumental bits. I actually rather like the E9s clamp/stick-to-your-head thing, because the R10s are very finicky hear and don't get that magical sound unless you get them placed JUST right... and then they have a tendency to slip in an almost mocking way. The E9s stay put and, from what I've found, don't change their sound much (compared to the R10s which can sound completely different in different placements) no matter how you wear them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No amount of burn in ever solved the issues I had with the ED9's, specifically the recessed mids and slightly unnatural tone, so I unfortunately had to part ways with them.

I'm a bit sad to hear that the mids don't ever bloom out. I'm not sure if I would call them recessed or just slightly obscured by the bass. I'm hoping the right tube setup will go a long ways to clearing them up because I'm wondering how much of the problem is with my phones and how much is with the setup. This strikes me as something that could be a much bigger problem with people who don't have setups geared towards maintaining a very tightly controlled, authoritative sound. I get that impression because I know there used to be recordings that just sounded awful - as if even the R10s couldn't handle them - during certain passages, and this was cleared up with the inclusion of the Monaco Isolation Stand and Genesis IC, and I'm thinking a PC upgrade would go a long way to helping out the obscured mids of the E9.

As for the unnatural tone, I actually think this has gotten better with burn in. I can't explain why because this is the first time in my experience with headphone burn in that the tone of the headphones has actually changed. But I vividly recall thinking how metallic the highs sounded at first (especially with cymbals) and how good they sound now. And while the mids and bass don't have the tonal accuracy of the R10s they do sound much better than my SA5Ks in this regard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsc4u /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am going to get one after read this thread...

Glad to know I influenced someone; I hope you're satisfied with them! Just remember what I said about burn in!

Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, when you get the L3000 please compare them to your Ed. 9.

I definitely plan to. I'll probably take notes for a few weeks with both - maybe even a month - and post my thoughts after enough time that I feel I know them well enough to do so.

The funny thing with headphones is that living with them is a bit like a very dynamic relationship; one that's always changing depending on the recording, the exact setup, your frame of mind that night, and all kinds of little odd things. It's tough to form any kind of concrete (much less accurate/objective) opinions quickly with headphones because you never know what the 'true' headphone is (not to get all existential about headphones but, ya know).

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #21 of 40
At least 200 hours are critical. Especially if the Ed 0's have a premium recable. The drivers are just simply too stiff and fussy otherwise. I have several pair and I can tell an enormous difference in side by side comparisons of the same headphones, with the same cable with different burn in periods. Also, even in one session you may find that the Ed 9 sound better several minutes into the session. Again, the driver flexes a bit and becomes more responsive.

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

I've been looking for some 2C51s to try out and will likely buy some soon on eBay; as for the 6BL7GTAs (though I only have the RCAs) I've always found them a bit dark; more musical than the L7GTs and X7GTs but not as open, and not as warm as the 6SN7s. I'll hunt for some Sylvanias though.

Some are bad and some are good, but the JW-2c51 has the fullest, natural, and musical sound of all I've heard. (I've heard about a dozen varieties.)
The RCA's suck.

Quote:

I've also noticed that the S-logic seems to have almost no effect different from other phones; though occasionally I'll hear an 'out-of-head' sound from cymbals or other more ethereal instrumental bits. I actually rather like the E9s clamp/stick-to-your-head thing, because the R10s are very finicky hear and don't get that magical sound unless you get them placed JUST right... and then they have a tendency to slip in an almost mocking way. The E9s stay put and, from what I've found, don't change their sound much (compared to the R10s which can sound completely different in different placements) no matter how you wear them.

They can be losened to taste by bending the metal bar located inside the middle of the headband.

Quote:

I'm a bit sad to hear that the mids don't ever bloom out. I'm not sure if I would call them recessed or just slightly obscured by the bass. I'm hoping the right tube setup will go a long ways to clearing them up because I'm wondering how much of the problem is with my phones and how much is with the setup. This strikes me as something that could be a much bigger problem with people who don't have setups geared towards maintaining a very tightly controlled, authoritative sound. I get that impression because I know there used to be recordings that just sounded awful - as if even the R10s couldn't handle them - during certain passages, and this was cleared up with the inclusion of the Monaco Isolation Stand and Genesis IC, and I'm thinking a PC upgrade would go a long way to helping out the obscured mids of the E9.

The right amp, tubes, and source, and bring the mids along much futher than you think. Yes, they won't measure up to the R-10 or my modded DX1000, but they are still very good.

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

I ordered these several weeks back from Northern Sound and Light and had them shipped directly to Alex at A Pure Sound for a V3 Balanced (with Furutech Rhodium plugs) cable. I received them 5 days ago, spent one night listening to them, and have them burning in now (for the past 40 hours or so).

[snip]

I'm hesitant to say I'm outright disappointed. [SNIP]

I'll update this when I get more time with them.

UPDATE (100~hrs. BURN IN)

WOW! What a change!

[snip]

UPDATE: [~200 hrs.]

These phones are REALLY coming along nicely. At 100 hours they already lost the digital glare, both opened up in the frequencies and soundstage and tightened the bass... at 200 hours they've refined even more.

[snip]

I'll play around more and report back.

When I saw this for the first time today I was going to reflexively reply when I saw the "40 hours" comment, saying that they need at least 100 hours on the cable, and the whole headphone needed at least 300-400 hours to burn-in - but I am glad to see that you are burning them in more and enjoying them now.

Mine were very enjoyable by 125 hours, and I stopped intentionally burning them in, but I have over a thousand hours on them and they seemed to continue to be more refined and detailed till about 400-500 hours. That's just what Ultrasones do - they change a huge amount over the first 200-300 hours, and continue for a couple hundred more.

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Are they burned in? Because the difference between burned-in and non-burned-in is huge.

I should find out how many hours are on them from the previous owner(s). The SQ is on par with my Denons, showing nothing unpleasant, so I imagine they must have had some burn-in. With HeadphoneAddicts comments about hours, I'll see what happens in the next month or two. At the moment I'm using them the most, except when I get tired of wearing a head-clamp.

Quote:

If I stop critically listening, my brain starts to adapt and I get the effect mentioned elsewhere of having to re-adapt to other headphones afterwards. This comes with my other headphones sounding a bit more left-and-right because the Ultrasones, IMO, being so closed-in and partly because of the S-logic, have a smoother left-to-right transition of sound in some respects.

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good question. As has been well-documented around these parts, get at least 200hrs on 'em before critical listening.

Also, tubes + Ultrasones does not equal goodness, imo. My preference is solid state amplification.

They will never be R10's. But that's not really so bad, cuz you get lots of other positives with the Ultrasones that the Sony's will never do either. Just be open to that.

smile_phones.gif

Those are some good points, also IMO I prefer them single ended, the bass and focus suffer on those while used in balanced topology to my ears, but I not a bigt fan of the blanced topology myself, not sure why the real expalantion is but they do sound more natural to me in SE. Balanced topology, till now, is mainly a great benefit for the big 3 Senns on my book...period...
Also the only recabled one I have been able to listen to for a few days, was an Edition 7 actually, not the 9, and it was a bit rough in the high end, so knowing they are practically the same headphone, not usre if it was indeed due to the cable or not, but I would not mess with the cable neither, at least not before listening them stock first...and as I liked what I hear, not need to change anything...unless broken...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

how about ed9 with jazz and classical?

If that was all I listened to, I'd buy a STAX rig for the money.

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

how about ed9 with jazz and classical?

Haven't done any listening to jazz or classical yet with them. Next time I'll toss in some and see how they fair now with extra burn in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer them single ended, the bass and focus suffer on those while used in balanced topology to my ears,

A very strange (an interesting) comment; to date I haven't heard a single headphone that sounded better single-ended; not a Senn, a Grado, a Sony, an AKG... nothing. Especially in terms of bass and soundstaging. I mean, keep in mind that with the SDS-XLR it's basically two SDSs amping both channels; so there's no logic as to why 2 SDSs amping 2 channels would be better than 1 SDS amping 2. Why do you think good monoblocks are so expensive for a pair?

Also, I can say that the R10 is unequivocally better balanced. I had the single ended for a very long time and balancing it just brought it to another level; it was the first time I heard the R10 do bass at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back