Ultrasone Edition 8
Oct 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #1,666 of 2,099
In case anyone's wondering, Ultrasone (USA) took care of my detached earpad issue. I was expecting to just receive a set of adhesive rings, but they sent me 2 cloth screens, which have the adhesive rings on both of their sides. I just didn't realize that, in addition to the cloth layer covering the drivers, there is another cloth screen between the earpad and the driver cover? If so, then my original screen must've come off when my earpad came loose, and got lost somewhere.

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #1,667 of 2,099
Quote:
In case anyone's wondering, Ultrasone (USA) took care of my detached earpad issue. I was expecting to just receive a set of adhesive rings, but they sent me 2 cloth screens, which have the adhesive rings on both of their sides. I just didn't realize that, in addition to the cloth layer covering the drivers, there is another cloth screen between the earpad and the driver cover? If so, then my original screen must've come off when my earpad came loose, and got lost somewhere.

Take some pictures?

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #1,669 of 2,099
Quote:
Is the ed8 actually worth the money in terms of sound quality?

That's a very subjective question.  There are some people who don't think a headphone is worth 50 bucks.  My own personal opinion is they are worth the money.  These things fit every part of sound I wanted in a headphone to the highest quality.  The bass that pumps out of these things is rather humungous when they first come out of the box, but after about a hundred hours, they settle down some.  It is still beefy.  One nice thing is that the heavy bass doesn't get in the way of the mids.  And the highs are crisp and detailed.  But like I said, the sound won't be for everyone.  I have never regretted for a minute paying this much for these headphones.  It's also nice that they do not require an amp.  Some people like having dedicated amps for their good headphones, but I like the flexibility of NOT having to rely on an amp.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #1,670 of 2,099
The Ed 8 are worth it if you are wanting ALL of what they bring - excellent sound, but as describe above, along with excellent isolation, comfort, and looks. They are worth it if that is a package of things you value.

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #1,671 of 2,099
Although they are not my favorite home headphone, they are still close and in my top three of constant rotation.  They are the most functional with good sound quality and isolation.  Also very convenient style for me to lay back becuz back of headphone won't hit chair as others do.  To top it off they are portable. If i had to have one set of headphones only, for all my uses...only one period, it would have to be the Ed8.  It really just does it all.

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #1,672 of 2,099
Quote:
Although they are not my favorite home headphone, they are still close and in my top three of constant rotation.  They are the most functional with good sound quality and isolation.  Also very convenient style for me to lay back becuz back of headphone won't hit chair as others do.  To top it off they are portable. If i had to have one set of headphones only, for all my uses...only one period, it would have to be the Ed8.  It really just does it all.

Dallan, you have a pretty $$ setup there and clearly you need closed.  Was wondering, have you given the THD900s a shot or planning to?

I'm of the same mind, but now I'm completely a laptop road warrior I think I'm going all IEM from here on out, so my couple pairs of Edition 8s will be for sale shortly.

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #1,673 of 2,099
I have heard the TH900 and like them.  I was saying that they would be my next headphone actually but work got slow and no way to pull off two grand now.  I am barely going to be able to do the Pico Power that i am first on preorder list for.  I think that is the last toy for a bit.

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #1,675 of 2,099
I have to be honest, the Ed, 8 are a bit too dynamic for me. It's enjoyable sometimes, but for some music it's a bit too bright for me. The bass is great though! And for a closed can, they image very well. They look pretty, and are comfortable and solid too.

I've decided to sell my pair though, they hardly have any use either :/ If anyone is interested, now's your chance.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 23, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #1,676 of 2,099
I absolutely love my ED8s.  I got the cable re cable to a 4-pin balanced connector.  On my M^3 they are not bright at all.  It's all about synergy with these.  They do sound a bit bright on my CK²III.  But if you match it up with a darker amp - maybe the V200 they could sound pretty good.

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #1,677 of 2,099
Has anyone tried the ED8 out of the Arcam rPac or a Calyx Coffee? I'm looking for a compact USB powered DAC/amp to use with my Macbook when I'm on the road. I'm also thinking about the Centrance Dacport, but I do like the additional RCA output on the rPac and Coffee.

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #1,678 of 2,099
Quote:
Has anyone tried the ED8 out of the Arcam rPac or a Calyx Coffee? I'm looking for a compact USB powered DAC/amp to use with my Macbook when I'm on the road. I'm also thinking about the Centrance Dacport, but I do like the additional RCA output on the rPac and Coffee.

I've used the Ed8 out of the Dragonfly with nice results.  Not quite as dynamic as an O2/ODAC setup, but a bit smoother. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #1,679 of 2,099
I have spent my money on them and I am happy. They are (more or lerr) portable, they have a good soundstage, and great bass. I have some old Stax Lambdas, and they have a biggervsoundstage and are probably better than the Edition 8s for classical music which has little bass information, but they are less good for pop, and they are not portable at all, as well as being an open back speaker which might upset a seneitive spouse. I do think that a good headphone amp will widen the soundstage and strengthen the bass even more on the Ultrasones. I go to legal conferences, and, with a portable amp, they are perfect after a long day. I am very happy with them.

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #1,680 of 2,099
So, I was looking for some pictures of the new Edition 8 versions (Romeo and Julia) and found this. Some reports say that those versions come with detachable cable but I couldn't find any pictures of them, until today. What do you guys think? Real or fake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back