Ultrasone Edition 8
Aug 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #1,607 of 2,099
I can't think of any lady who would wear these. How could they take the most gorgeous headphones I've ever seen and turn them into those monsters?

Hmmm... explains a lot about Ultrasone though. I'm guessing these were greenlit by the same people who thought the Signature Pros were stylin'

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #1,608 of 2,099
I am officially joining the Ed8 Club.  I received my Ed8LE late last night.

Before receiving them, I thought to myself, "These are portable headphones so I am going to use them as such.  Why are these people on here buying this HP to use just at home - I don't get it!!!"  But now after receiving them, I was saying to myself "man, I don't know if I want to take these babies out anymore.  They look so BEAUTIFUL!!!"

I can't comment on the sound yet since I got them after midnight last night and I had to wake up at 6am for work this morning.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #1,609 of 2,099
welcome to the club!

let us know your toughts about the sound :)

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #1,610 of 2,099
Hey guys,

I am still in the process of reading through the whole therad, but in a little of a haste.. Browsing through the phone takes forever. Could anyone please sum up the differences in everyday use and handle between the ruthenium and the palladium models? Much obliged.

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #1,611 of 2,099
Hi DoomForce, I actually had 2 pairs of the palladium and both had defects in the finish that came through over time (see pages 91-93 for more info) but others have had no such issues.  I think the palladiums look better and are less prone to attracting fingerprints, but yes, I had issues and wound up upgrading to the limited edition.  They are also more fingerprint resistant than the rutheniums and if you can get a decent price, and if ultrasone sell out of all 888 pairs, you will get a better resale price when you eventually sell.  They also come with a hard box if that's your sort of thing.  I prefer the leather pouch of the ruthenium /palladiums myself though, but that is not included with the limited.  I was going to get the rutheniums originally, but watched an unboxing on youtube and the earcups are like mirrors and I am not a fan of high maintenance.

Anyone know if Ultrasone have nearly sold all 888 limited editions yet??

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #1,612 of 2,099
Thank you for the welcome.
beerchug.gif

I couldn't wait to try them so I took them out with me for my transit ride to my hockey game last night and then to work today.  I need to keep this short because it is almost dinner time but here are my quick thoughts from this short experience so far (and also not in the words of the experienced):

1. ISOLATION - The isolation is just as 'most' of you have stated on this thread.  Here in Hong Kong, it is much more convenient to travel by public transport as compared to Toronto, so headphones with good isolation is a must if you want to hear your music without having to blast the volume.
  2. BASS - When I first put them on, I wondered what was wrong with them because the bass was no where near what I predicted.  It was lacking large.  Then as the ear pads started to warm up, the bass became better and better.  I see what everyone is talking about now when they say to wait a minute or so for the ear pads to warm up and seal better.  This improve the isolation dramatically but also improves the bass just as much.  As many others have described, it is definitely very present but it has so many layers that it does not bleed into the mids and highs so that the mids and highs remain just as present.  I don't think the bass is over done, at least not with the music that I have listened to with them.  I think the bass sounds like where the producers wanted them to be when the music was written.  There was a strange effect that happened on two occasions while in the subway.  As I was standing, I noticed that when I turned my head to look 90 degrees to my right (or left), the deep bass became very strong suddenly.  Then when I turned my head to look forward again, it would return to normal.  Has anyone else experienced this before?
  3. The mids are there.  I am not sure what words to use to describe it but as mentioned above, the bass does not drown it out.
  4. I really like the look of the LE version.  It has a darker shade on the cups but the wood grain really makes a quiet "luxury" statement.  And the headband is very comfortable.  The aluminum part of the headband has that look and feel of quality material and workmanship. 

Still need some more listening time to comment further.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #1,613 of 2,099
Quote:
  1. There was a strange effect that happened on two occasions while in the subway.  As I was standing, I noticed that when I turned my head to look 90 degrees to my right (or left), the deep bass became very strong suddenly.  Then when I turned my head to look forward again, it would return to normal.  Has anyone else experienced this before?

Yes, absolutely. It was hard for me to get a good seal looking forward. When you turn your head, your neck muscles and fat move to sort of fill in the seal and you get the bass that is actually there. The bass would change drastically for me depending on if I looked down (more bass), up (less bass), turned head or what not. I had to play with positioning and headband length quite a bit to get it sort of right. Try this. Looking straight and forward, try grabbing the earcups with your fingers and press them in to your head a little bit. Making sure the bottom of the cups are receiving most pressure. Do you get that bass returning? If so, it means you're not getting a good seal normally. As far as I know, I was the first person to make the realization in this thread that the seal increased when the earpads warm up. Yes, it gets better, but unless I hold my head a certain way, it was never a full seal. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #1,615 of 2,099
Quote:
I get most bass when lying down on a pillow facing the ceiling/sky.

Then..  its BASS MONSTA!!!

Me too! That is how I would always listen. The pressure is taken off the headband and the earcups can clamp on to the skull naturally. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #1,616 of 2,099
I listen to them 100% at work... I guss one day I need to lay down in bed in that position without glasses to see how much they improve :p

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #1,617 of 2,099
Quote:

Yes, absolutely. It was hard for me to get a good seal looking forward. When you turn your head, your neck muscles and fat move to sort of fill in the seal and you get the bass that is actually there. ... 

So what you are saying is that the solution to getting a better seal is to eat more so that my face will get more fat and fill in the seal?  OK.
tongue.gif

The bass does get better if I push the HP in but not by a lot.  I guess it's because I already get a decent seal without pressing.  So when not pressing, the bass is just right and if I press the cups in, it's more bass than I need.

SoundFreaq, thanks for the tips.

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #1,618 of 2,099
Quote:
I listen to them 100% at work... I guss one day I need to lay down in bed in that position without glasses to see how much they improve :p

Who said that you can't lie down at work?
wink.gif
  Just tell the boss that your back hurts and that your doctor recommended that you lie down on a hard flat surface for 15-30 minutes each morning.  And your ear doctor told you that you need to wear your headphones when lying down.
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #1,619 of 2,099
Quote:
Who said that you can't lie down at work?
wink.gif
  Just tell the boss that your back hurts and that your doctor recommended that you lie down on a hard flat surface for 15-30 minutes each morning.  And your ear doctor told you that you need to wear your headphones when lying down.
biggrin.gif

haha good idea :)

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #1,620 of 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I noticed that when I turned my head to look 90 degrees to my right (or left), the deep bass became very strong suddenly.  Then when I turned my head to look forward again, it would return to normal.  Has anyone else experienced this before?

Yup same here. My pair are quite burned in and the leather is quite settled, and I can tell you that it doesn't get any better. Could also be that maybe this only affects Asians LOL (I assume you are since you're talking about HK). On the bright side, once the cans settle in (i.e. leather heats up) the bass does increase ever so slightly, but nothing like the effect of turning my head. But I find that this gives the PERFECT amount of bass. I find the turning head thing, sounds cool, for about a minute, and then you realize that it's just too much. And this is coming from a D5000 owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back