Ultrasone Edition 8
Mar 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #1,486 of 2,099
After a few hours, I really like them but I can't get a good seal with glasses on, so they're going back. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #1,487 of 2,099
I have Ed8 Palladiums and it does something funny. I think it has to do with the arrangement of S-Logic, because if I turn my head a bit, I can totally hear lots of bass (but only coming out of the side I am turning my head towards). Once I am back in neutral position, the bass just kind of .. disappears. I know it's there, and I need to "look" hard for it. I know what powerful bass sounds like (I also have the D5000). Anyone else have this problem?

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #1,488 of 2,099

Quote:
I have Ed8 Palladiums and it does something funny. I think it has to do with the arrangement of S-Logic, because if I turn my head a bit, I can totally hear lots of bass (but only coming out of the side I am turning my head towards). Once I am back in neutral position, the bass just kind of .. disappears. I know it's there, and I need to "look" hard for it. I know what powerful bass sounds like (I also have the D5000). Anyone else have this problem?

It's the fault of the seal.  These cans require a good seal to sound their best and it's absolutely necessary for proper bass performance.  There have been other posters claiming that these are "bass light" until pressing the cups to their head, so try playing with the positioning and sizing until you get a better fit.

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #1,489 of 2,099

Quote:
After a few hours, I really like them but I can't get a good seal with glasses on, so they're going back. 

That's kind of sad to hear because I think they are great sounding closed phones.  I wear glasses too and I managed to get a good fit (though it took a little time for the pads to settle in and me finding the correct position to put the headphones on).  

I think one day I would either break down and get contacts or get a pair of these (http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=7039&tabid=1) made to use at home for listening.  

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #1,490 of 2,099
Yea, but I mean, they're not worth $1200 in my opinion. They're not even better than my $600 HE-500's, so I'm kinda happy I couldn't get them to fit, I just saved $1200. Also, it made me realize that I'm happy with me HE-500 and I won't be looking for an upgrade for a long time now. 

I only bought them for portable use and I don't want to waste money on contacts (as I've done in the past) so they're useless to me.

Quote:
That's kind of sad to hear because I think they are great sounding closed phones.  I wear glasses too and I managed to get a good fit (though it took a little time for the pads to settle in and me finding the correct position to put the headphones on).  

I think one day I would either break down and get contacts or get a pair of these (http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=7039&tabid=1) made to use at home for listening.  

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #1,491 of 2,099
Fair enough.  I think the Edition 8 is a fairly niche product, you have to tick a lot of the right usage boxes for them to be worth the price.  For me it's the following

1) they are closed, compact and quite portable
2) easily driven by minimal amount of portable gear, and scales well enough to use at home
3) light and comfortable (if your ears fit)
4) S-Logic

Yeah they don't sound as good as my T1 rig on the desk, but then I can't move my T1s around without lugging my amp too, whereas I can plug these into a portable rig (IPT plus small amp) which fits in my pocket and it would sound pretty damn good, heck I can do my ironing and home chores while listening to these, and that's hard to beat.

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #1,492 of 2,099

Quote:

I've experienced this too, but only on one side.  I actually think the bass becomes overpowering when this happens; the bass sounds more natural when my head is a normal listening position (i.e. facing forward).  

I still enjoy these cans, but I do think they are somewhat V-shaped by nature.  On the wrong source or amp, the bass can sound a bit bloated, which tends to drown out the already laid-back midrange.  Anyone looking for a more lush or prominent midrange should probably look elsewhere.  I've been using my Beyer DT1350s for portable use much more lately, mostly because they are more compact and isolate much better than the Ed. 8, but also because they have a more engaging midrange.  However, they sound less detailed and kind of papery thin overall in comparison to the Ed.8.

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #1,493 of 2,099

Quote:

It's the fault of the seal.  These cans require a good seal to sound their best and it's absolutely necessary for proper bass performance.  There have been other posters claiming that these are "bass light" until pressing the cups to their head, so try playing with the positioning and sizing until you get a better fit.

Frig.. Ok just messing around with them. 2 clicks on the left side, 3 clicks on the right (my head is uneven, so what). And then I have to push them FORWARD so they touch the back of my ears and actually fold them uncomfortable forward to get some bass. Damn you S-Logic. And my (apparently) messed up head. If they didn't sound so damn good (I need sealed units as I use these at work), I'd probably be listing them for sale... I guess low bass is it. :frowning2:

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #1,494 of 2,099

Quote:
Frig.. Ok just messing around with them. 2 clicks on the left side, 3 clicks on the right (my head is uneven, so what). And then I have to push them FORWARD so they touch the back of my ears and actually fold them uncomfortable forward to get some bass. Damn you S-Logic. And my (apparently) messed up head. If they didn't sound so damn good (I need sealed units as I use these at work), I'd probably be listing them for sale... I guess low bass is it. :frowning2:

I had the same problems when mine were new. The problem for me fixed itself as the headband and earcup leather broke in. Be patient. I also have to get the headband to the exact correct size. 5 left, 6 right. Also, for me, the seal gets better as your skin warms up the earcup leather. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #1,495 of 2,099
I'm nearsighted with a relatively mild prescription, so I don't mind removing my glasses when using the Ed8 and I definitely agree that they do sound better that way. I can still read and compute so it's no big deal as I don't drive a vehicle with them on.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #1,496 of 2,099

Quote:
I'm nearsighted with a relatively mild prescription, so I don't mind removing my glasses when using the Ed8 and I definitely agree that they do sound better that way. I can still read and compute so it's no big deal as I don't drive a vehicle with them on.

Haha same here. At work I can do it (where I primarily use it anyway) since my monitor is a 22" @ 1920x1200 about 1 1/2 feet from my face. Can't do it at home as it's a 30" @ 2560x1600 but about 4 feet from my face. Too small and can't see. But yes they do seem to seal better without my glasses on. Still, I can hear a lot of bass if I just turn my head slightly. I just don't get why issues like these would ever pop up for headphones costing $1,700. I guess it adheres to the audio rule of thumb: pay more, get less.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #1,497 of 2,099

Quote:
Haha same here. At work I can do it (where I primarily use it anyway) since my monitor is a 22" @ 1920x1200 about 1 1/2 feet from my face. Can't do it at home as it's a 30" @ 2560x1600 but about 4 feet from my face. Too small and can't see. But yes they do seem to seal better without my glasses on. Still, I can hear a lot of bass if I just turn my head slightly. I just don't get why issues like these would ever pop up for headphones costing $1,700. I guess it adheres to the audio rule of thumb: pay more, get less.

I think it's just inevitable that glasses and headphones don't mix.
triportsad.gif

Either way the whole "no seal therefore no bass" issue isn't even limited to headphones and glasses, you can easily find post about how people can't get a good seal for their IEM (even custom ones) and then complain about lack of bass, seems like a never ending problem in the audiophile world.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #1,498 of 2,099

Quote:
I think it's just inevitable that glasses and headphones don't mix.
triportsad.gif

Either way the whole "no seal therefore no bass" issue isn't even limited to headphones and glasses, you can easily find post about how people can't get a good seal for their IEM (even custom ones) and then complain about lack of bass, seems like a never ending problem in the audiophile world.

FWIW, I wear glasses (have since the second grade...I'm now 40) and never had an issue with them + my Ed.8s.

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #1,499 of 2,099

Quote:
FWIW, I wear glasses (have since the second grade...I'm now 40) and never had an issue with them + my Ed.8s.

I wear glasses too and I find them ok with the Edition 8 as well, it just takes a little more tweaking to get it to fit right eg not pressing on the hook etc because the cup is a bit smaller than my other headphones like the T1 or W1000x or K701.  
It really depends on the style of the frame too, I have a a few pairs with different style arms and hook, I eventually found that there's one pair which "works" the best with all my headphones and I just designated that pair as my listening glasses.     

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #1,500 of 2,099

Quote:
I just designated that pair as my listening glasses.     

hehehe

that's new for me... listening glasses... i must choose my next pair like that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back