Ultrasone Edition 8
Mar 30, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #406 of 2,099

So I finally got the chance to trade up. Within the matter of a day I sold my Ah-D7000's and found someone selling their ED-8's. Got the ED-8's in about an hour ago and just spent that time listening to them. OH DEAR LORD! is all I can say. These ARE my holy grail of a headphone. I wasnt even connected to my amp, just my iPod and I heard things in songs that Ive known forever that Ive never heard before. The detail is incredible and the bass, for me, is perfect. I love the crisp upper bass punch that it produces so accurately. The other benefit are these fit my peanut head better than anything else Ive ever tried on. These were MADE for me. Ugh, Im so happy right now. Just dont hate me for actually using these as portable rigs when Im on the road traveling(airplane/train) instead of leaving them home in a vault.

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #407 of 2,099
^ Curious what type of gear you are using, Hyper.  If you ever get the chance, try it with an SR71 portable amp, or with a great full size amp for home listening, they scale up magnificently.  I was a big fan of the T1, both of them are really the only two really expensive sets geared for fun and colored perfectly ( not neutral )  Great placement, great everything really.  Makes me happy to know someone else is happy hehe :p

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #408 of 2,099

Quote:
^ Curious what type of gear you are using, Hyper.  If you ever get the chance, try it with an SR71 portable amp, or with a great full size amp for home listening, they scale up magnificently.  I was a big fan of the T1, both of them are really the only two really expensive sets geared for fun and colored perfectly ( not neutral )  Great placement, great everything really.  Makes me happy to know someone else is happy hehe :p

Well, I really got these headphones for portability. For more power than the iPod, I add the Headstage Arrow portable amp. I never use headphones at home. I have a set of M-Audio monitors I use at my computer desk. Downstairs I just ordered a pair of the Magnepan 1.7's with a Cambridge 840a V2 amp. In preparation of the arrival of both the speakers and the headphones, I went back and started reburning all my CD's at a lossless rate. Its amazing the night and day difference in sound quality. Wish someone had told me to do that when I first started importing my CD's. I got through 100 so far, still have 500+ to go.

Mar 30, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #409 of 2,099

So I finally got the chance to trade up. Within the matter of a day I sold my Ah-D7000's and found someone selling their ED-8's. Got the ED-8's in about an hour ago and just spent that time listening to them. OH DEAR LORD! is all I can say. These ARE my holy grail of a headphone. I wasnt even connected to my amp, just my iPod and I heard things in songs that Ive known forever that Ive never heard before. The detail is incredible and the bass, for me, is perfect. I love the crisp upper bass punch that it produces so accurately. The other benefit are these fit my peanut head better than anything else Ive ever tried on. These were MADE for me. Ugh, Im so happy right now. Just dont hate me for actually using these as portable rigs when Im on the road traveling(airplane/train) instead of leaving them home in a vault.

Congrats! I felt the same way when I moved up from my D7000s too.

And they isolate as well as any IEM I've owned as an added bonus.

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #410 of 2,099
Really?  The Ed. 8s isolate very well for full-size, non-noise canceling headphones, but I don't think it's even close to the isolation of an IEM with triple-flange silicone or Complys, or customs.  I tried taking the Ed. 8s on my commute one day, and the sound of the subway train clattering on the track was pretty noticeable compared to the isolation that I get from my ES5 customs.

My Ed. 8s still clamp about as tight as when they were new, which I guess helps with the isolation.  But it is a bit uncomfortable for long listening sessions.  Has anyone tried to bend or loosen the clamping somehow?  What way is the best and safest?

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #411 of 2,099
Really?  The Ed. 8s isolate very well for full-size, non-noise canceling headphones, but I don't think it's even close to the isolation of an IEM with triple-flange silicone or Complys, or customs.  I tried taking the Ed. 8s on my commute one day, and the sound of the subway train clattering on the track was pretty noticeable compared to the isolation that I get from my ES5 customs.

My Ed. 8s still clamp about as tight as when they were new, which I guess helps with the isolation.  But it is a bit uncomfortable for long listening sessions.  Has anyone tried to bend or loosen the clamping somehow?  What way is the best and safest?

You took your Edition 8s on the NY subway? :basshead:

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #412 of 2,099
Just a quick review. Finally used my ED8's for the first time on a 6 hour plane ride on Monday. They were fantastic! Only once during the whole time did I have to adjust them because of an annoyance in feel on my ears. Otherwise, I had them on the whole time and after a while, hardly noticed they were there. SUPER comfortable and blocked out as much sound as my HD-25's did. Sound was awesome as expected and just excited to have been able to use them the way I intended.

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #414 of 2,099
would be great if someone could touch on the stage size compared to other popular sets out there

From my experiences, the sound staging of the Edition 8s is the best of any closed headphones I've owned/heard (D7000, DT770, SRH840, among others). It rivals many open headphones in that regard as well (and has the best noise isolation this side of any IEM).

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #415 of 2,099
can you give me a bit more of your thoughts on the dt770 vs eddy 8 soundstage 

I've been way too long since I heard the Edition 8, but I never never it through a decent mp3 player or with an amp.  Is it bigger than the DT770? 

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #416 of 2,099
can you give me a bit more of your thoughts on the dt770 vs eddy 8 soundstage 

I've been way too long since I heard the Edition 8, but I never never it through a decent mp3 player or with an amp.  Is it bigger than the DT770? 

Yes it is bigger with the Ed.8s. I still am amazed and just how expansive they sound. The DT770s are average in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back