ULTRASONE Edition 8 vs. Edition 9...what is the difference?
Feb 14, 2009 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ghost87

100+ Head-Fier
Originally I thought the Edition 8 was marketed more toward Portable Use (MP3)...but looking at the Specifications compared to the Edition 9, they are similar.

1. Are the Edition 8, just the next headphone upgrade from Ultrasone?

2. Could the existing Edition 9, be used for Portable Use (MP3)

Could someone please explain

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 18
I will let you know in 2 months
wink.gif

For your 2nd question, yes you can use them as portable headphones for travel but IMO the cord is a little bit too long. The Edition 8 will be better for that purpose.

May 31, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #5 of 18
I think I am staying with my two Edition 9s for a while. I don't use my portables to walk around with but do take them to work and back and use them as transportables so the E9s are very much in play in this manner for me. So at work, I am using my second pair of E9s. I got the second pair from NL&S when they offered it to me as an option when they could not sell me the pre-ordered U8. I think for that price the E9s are a bargain.

Some people just don't like Ultrasone no matter what because of their marketing; so I expect the E8 to be somewhat panned/dissed as the E9s were around here.

Again I hope the E8 will be everything hoped for, for those of you waiting.

May 31, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 18
The edition 8 is the successor to the Edition 9, but I bet it's using less expensive parts hence the lower price but of course it also has some newer technology which may or may not be a good thing. For example it has a smaller form factor, Ultrasone designed the edition 8 to be smaller but who knows what it means in terms of SQ vs. the larger size of the Edition 9. One thing is sure though, first impressions are that the Edition 9 has more omnipresent bass which may be due to the size difference.

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have sold my edition 9 just only want to buy edition 8...I think it more easy use with mp3

Please forget about using the Edition 8 directly with an MP3 player like an ipod touch etc. without an amp.
It isn't more easy use, it sounds like 50 Dollar crap. Okay, maybe the Ed 9 like 40.
Well, I really have no idea why Ultrasone even uses mini plugs (with adaptors) on a high-end headphone...?
And please look at its size: the Ed 8 isn't foldable and rotatable like the Ed 9, and the bag isn't as sturdy as the box of Ed 9's.
beerchug.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please forget about using the Edition 8 directly with an MP3 player like an ipod touch etc. without an amp.
It isn't more easy use, it sounds like 50 Dollar crap. Okay, maybe the Ed 9 like 40.
Well, I really have no idea why Ultrasone even uses mini plugs (with adaptors) on a high-end headphone...?
And please look at its size: the Ed 8 isn't foldable and rotatable like the Ed 9, and the bag isn't as sturdy as the box of Ed 9's.
beerchug.gif

Hi there,
Noticed that you have both Edition 8 and Edition 9. Do you think they are different enough to coexist? Or are Ed 8 a better version of E 9?
Thanks!
-Paul

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beerchug.gif

Really? I own ED8 and have borrowed the ED9 for a long time from a friend. My friend often used the ED9 outdoor with iQube and it sounded decent
biggrin.gif
(sounded awsome but only decent compared to stationary amps). As for ED8 it obviously sounds better with an amp (although surprisingly, I didnt like the matching with the predator) but it still sounds decent for me...after about 200 hour burn in...

If you are looking for something cost wise dont think about it both of them will cause about the amps and everything...
Sound wise...if you enjoy listening to songs that has A LOT of stagging, something like Pirates of the Caribbean OST go for ED9
For something that goes for clear soundings and machine sounds like pop or hip hop go for ED8

To be frank, it confuses me WHY ED8 costs SOOOO much more than ED9 (or is that just Korea?
frown.gif
)

Oct 14, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 18
In their country of origin: ~1500 EUR for Ed9, ~1200 EUR for Ed8.

Dec 19, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The edition 8 is the successor to the Edition 9, but I bet it's using less expensive parts hence the lower price but of course it also has some newer technology which may or may not be a good thing. For example it has a smaller form factor, Ultrasone designed the edition 8 to be smaller but who knows what it means in terms of SQ vs. the larger size of the Edition 9. One thing is sure though, first impressions are that the Edition 9 has more omnipresent bass which may be due to the size difference.

omnipresent bass? just bigger sound stage?

which will have more punch

bump

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #14 of 18
I meant always present and everywhere. Other comparisons I've read on the headphone forum still point to ed9 having more bass presence, but I've also read people saying ed8 has good bass punch, not sure what people who have tried think has better bass punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back