Ultrasone Ed. 9 recabled with APureSound V3 review
Apr 21, 2008 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bdh

500+ Head-Fier
This is a very short 'review'. I just wanted to share my thoughts about my cable upgrade for my Ultrasone Edition 9's, because I've read in a number of posts about recommendations from Ultrasone and the maker of certain solid-state amps popular with Edition 9 owners that these headphones don't need a cable upgrade and that you may lose the 'magic' if you do.

While the stock cable is good and there may be different cable 'upgrades' that result in inferior sound, that is not the case with APureSound V3 cables.

What convinced me to upgrade was when I upgraded my Monster cable interconnects to Synergistic Research Apha Sterling cables. Those cables increased the size of the sound, made it smoother and more natural, increased the depth and weight of the bass, and increased the treble extension while eliminating some harshness. I figured it was worth a try to see if the same benefits could be achieved by upgrading the headphone cable.

Sure enough it did exactly that. Comparing my recabled Ed. 9 to my stock Ed. 9, the recabled sound is bigger, smoother and more natural, it increased the depth and weight of the bass, and increased the treble extension while eliminating what little harshness remained. It provides additional presence and makes them more speaker-like than ever before. And the difference is substantial and readily noticable -- none of this having to A/B it a dozen times to try and detect any difference.

I'm getting my other pair recabled now and it couldn't happen soon enough.

(Source, amp, tube selection, and headphones of course contribute more 'benefit' than the cables, but once you've achived optimal primary components, hearing differences in cables is a breeze.)
Extreme - Amperex BB 7062 | GE JAN-5998A
MPX3 - TungSol 2c51 | Sylvania 6bl7GTA

Apr 21, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 9
One additional note:

If I didn't have my second pair of stock Edition 9's to compare with, while I definitely would have noticed an improvement, I wouldn't have been aware how significant it was.

Apr 21, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One additional note:

If I didn't have my second pair of stock Edition 9's to compare with, while I definitely would have noticed an improvement, I wouldn't have been aware how significant it was.

[size=medium]Thank you very much! I am considering a UE9 myself and would like to upgrade the cable to take it to the limit. Reviews like this, mini or not, are very encouraging.
cool.gif

[/size]

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the review. Your findings on the UE9 are similar to the changes I found on my 650s with the V3 cable - wider soundstage, more natural presentation and sparkling highs.

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 9
What I hear with my APS V3 Edition 9 vs my stock Edition 9 is an increase in clarity and transparency, like a light veil was lifted from the music. This makes it easier for the headphones to disappear, leaving only the music. The bass on my Ediiton 9 was already pretty good stock, and they didn't ever seem harsh to me, but the highs are now more extended and clear as well.

I've thought about going balanced, and don't know whether to re-cable my existing stock pair, or to re-terminate the ones that already have the APS cable. Sigh... Such tough decisions...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 18, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I hear with my APS V3 Edition 9 vs my stock Edition 9 is an increase in clarity and transparency, like a light veil was lifted from the music. This makes it easier for the headphones to disappear, leaving only the music. The bass on my Ediiton 9 was already pretty good stock, and they didn't ever seem harsh to me, but the highs are now more extended and clear as well.

I've thought about going balanced, and don't know whether to re-cable my existing stock pair, or to re-terminate the ones that already have the APS cable. Sigh... Such tough decisions...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Awesome

Btw, I think your Edition 9's are officially archived under one of their recabled pairs. I saw pics of your #440 in APureSound's website [probably nothing new to you but those cans look nice]
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 9
Oh guys with all these posts you are about to convince me....
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Well if any of mine breaks I will upgrade...promised...
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh guys with all these posts you are about to convince me....
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Well if any of mine breaks I will upgrade...promised...
biggrin.gif

That's why I bought a second pair myself. Sounds like Apuresound it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back