Ultra HD disc
Oct 6, 2011 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Coldcut

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Actually I didn't know where to start this thread, but I guess it's closest relationship is in the source cathegory..

Anyway, the other day I found a music disc with a mysterious "Ultra HD" printed on it. After some googeling I found this site, with interesting reading..

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LIMUHD048

Has someone heard of it before? Tried it?

/John

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 9
Looks interesting, but with only 2000 disks produced...I think it'll be hard to find information on this.

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #4 of 9
A very interesting read. 
So what are the details about ultra hd? o.o
Is it DXD technology?

Oct 8, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 9
No, UltraHD seems to refer to the 32 bit depth. Supposedly the highest depth resolution available, advantages claimed to be highest possible dynamic range and lowest possible noisefloor. Conversion to 24 or 16 bit ofc needed for disc output, never heard of a commercial available DAC that reads 32 bit files. Is the 32 bit technology improvement audible? Who knows? Someone with a really good cdp or digital source has to try, I guess..

Here is a site with HUGE test files for download, a few are dxd 5.1 24bit 352.8 files.. You better have a good line.. Or loads of patience..

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 9
I got all those songs already x) 1.1Gb per file..quite amazing.
but 32bit 192khz on a disc sounds amazing. And it can be played on all CD players?
Are you going to try them?

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 9
I don't want to be a kill joy, but 3 things:

- 64 bit calculations for mastering have been in use for several years and the software involved is not expensive.
- Hardware wise, a DAC (or an ADC) with 18 bit of real dynamic range or SNR is already considered good, 20 bit of SNR is state of the art, 21 bit is the absolute best achieved.
- Musicianship? Artistic quality? What of those? I consider those far more important than sound quality!

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 9
I dug up some interesting facts..

Theoretical dynamic range

16-bit = 96 dB
24-bit = 144 dB
32-bit = 192 dB
64-bit = 384 dB

More interesting facts:
Human voice dynamic range 96 db
Human hearing pain threshold sound level 120 db
Best microphones dynamic range 170 db
194 db equals to 1 atmosphere RMS in pressure generating 1.75 tons/sq foot

How much dr do we really need? :cool:

NOTE: These numbers are actually the signal
to noise ratio, but can, according to several sources be converted and used to describe the DR, but they are not absolute.

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #9 of 9
Also consider that a *quiet* room is averaging a 30 dB SPL, that *powerful* speakers produce 115 dB SPL (peak) at 1 m distance, and that cinemas are calibrated to produce 85 dB SPL average.
Really, how much dynamic range do we need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back