Ultra Fast Diode Mod for the MF X-Can V3
Nov 24, 2006 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

mrarroyo

Headphoneus Supremus
I had my X-Can V3 modded by PinkFloyd back in May of 2006. I have gotten many hours of happy listening since and wholeheartedly recomend it. Recently I had added the Little Pinkie PSU and it helped bring the X-Can V3 to a new level. Everything was happy until I picked up an used X-Can V2 and sent it to PinkFloyd to have the "Full Monty" done to it including another Little Pinkie.

Well by this time PinkFloyd had developed a new mod which exchanged the regular rectifier diodes (1N4007) with ultra fast diodes (UF4007). This reduces the recovery time from 2000 nano sec to 75 nano sec. Here is a picture I borrowed from PinkFloyd's website:

DSCF6292.jpg

The V2 is sounding so good I was considering selling my V3. Well PinkFloyd sent me a set of 7 of the above mentioned ultra fast diodes and I finally got arround fitting them to my V3. This was an ordeal since I have not soldered anything in 12 years. Well here are a couple of pics of the before and after, just click on the thumbnail to view the full picture.

Before mods:

After mods:

The change these 7 ultra fast diodes have brought to the V3 is amazing. The clarity and air you can now hear in between notes is nothing short of mind blowing. I used to state that the V3 had beautiful detail, although correct it has gotten much better and this with only 2 hours of burn in.

I do not know how much these parts go for specially with the exchange rates but if you have a V3 or a V2 I highly recomend you take the time to fit these in. Good luck.

Nov 24, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had my X-Can V3 modded by PinkFloyd back in May of 2006. I have gotten many hours of happy listening since and wholeheartedly recomend it. Recently I had added the Little Pinkie PSU and it helped bring the X-Can V3 to a new level. Everything was happy until I picked up an used X-Can V2 and sent it to PinkFloyd to have the "Full Monty" done to it including another Little Pinkie.

Well by this time PinkFloyd had developed a new mod which exchanged the regular rectifier diodes (1N4007) with ultra fast diodes (UF4007). This reduces the recovery time from 2000 nano sec to 75 nano sec. Here is a picture I borrowed from PinkFloyd's website:

DSCF6292.jpg

The V2 is sounding so good I was considering selling my V3. Well PinkFloyd sent me a set of 7 of the above mentioned ultra fast diodes and I finally got arround fitting them to my V3. This was an ordeal since I have not soldered anything in 12 years. Well here are a couple of pics of the before and after, just click on the thumbnail to view the full picture.

Before mods:

After mods:

The change these 7 ultra fast diodes have brought to the V3 is amazing. The clarity and air you can now hear in between notes is nothing short of mind blowing. I used to state that the V3 had beautiful detail, although correct it has gotten much better and this with only 2 hours of burn in.

I do not know how much these parts go for specially with the exchange rates but if you have a V3 or a V2 I highly recomend you take the time to fit these in. Good luck.

You got that right! It's like adding a stargate at the headphone jack!
eek.gif

Nov 24, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 52
What's the link for PinkFloyd's website? It's a little difficult to find with a Google search, something about the name, I believe...

Nov 24, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 52
Hmm. I see that the UF4007 is generally available. Do you think it would be a good idea to use them in other amps, not just the X-Can? If so, it'd be little trouble to put them into some of my projects.

Nov 24, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's about 50 cents for each diode+cap, so $3.50 total.

Nov 25, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You got that right! It's like adding a stargate at the headphone jack!
eek.gif

I'm so temped to get an Xcan3 & have you mod the crap out of it..I'm going to audition the Caynin 1A headphone amp next week, to see if I like the tube sound..

Nov 25, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 52
Can someone spec the snubber? The UF4007 is $.18 at Mouser (at most), so I'm also curious if this is applicable in all circumstances, particularly in my electrostat PSU where there are 8 1n4007, or, in general if the UF4007 is universally better?

Nov 25, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm so temped to get an Xcan3 & have you mod the crap out of it..I'm going to audition the Caynin 1A headphone amp next week, to see if I like the tube sound..

I could always bring mine out to you and you could give it an hour or so, it may cost you a meal!
icon10.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could always bring mine out to you and you could give it an hour or so, it may cost you a meal!
icon10.gif

Let me guess..Wendys..
biggrin.gif
I will think about it.. Is yours fully loaded..

Nov 25, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #11 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone spec the snubber? The UF4007 is $.18 at Mouser (at most), so I'm also curious if this is applicable in all circumstances, particularly in my electrostat PSU where there are 8 1n4007, or, in general if the UF4007 is universally better?

Different diodes can impart different results. I have used ultra fast soft recovery diodes for a long time but of the more expexisve variety than mentioned here and for a much higher voltage, since that is what I was working in. A good diode that does not impart a sound of its own on the carrier signal being used for the AC musical signal should be good in most situtations as long as the supply it is working with is stable.

Nov 25, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #12 of 52
It works wonders in V2, X10, with X-PSU
biggrin.gif

img0959hv6.jpg

Nov 25, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I spoke with some tech friends about the cap and they all claim a ceramic would work just fine. So I got the diodes for $.07 and the caps for $.03 from the ol surplus shop. caps are .01uf.

297828130_e0581f6711_o.jpg

Benny.

Nov 25, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me guess..Wendys..
biggrin.gif
I will think about it.. Is yours fully loaded..

Guess again! SU's BBQ on El Camino! Yes as loaded as I can do. next weekend or later would be best.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back