Ultra Desktop DAC
Jun 9, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How different is the stand alone desktop ultra dac (which has balanced out) and the dac in the new ultra desktop (dac+amp+single ended only)

I guess a different way to ask the question:

Other than the balanced option in the balanced desktop amp and desktop ultra dac, are the modules the same as the combo Ultra Desktop DAC/AMP with single ended only?

Yes, I'm picky, but you have asked basically this exact question before:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f77/re...ml#post5684754

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #33 of 48
Sorry TheSloth, I do get absent minded at times.

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #35 of 48
The UDAC arrived today as promised. Typical understated HR goodness in the design department. It's nice to have green lights instead of the now ubiquitous blue for a change. (Note to Tyll, a "dim" feature could be cool for the LEDs--LED "off" setting would be good, too.).

Now to let the UDAC burn-in for 6 months before impressions.

I kid. However, I expect it to take a while to post notes as DACs can be tough to compare for me and I'll be comparing against the ECD-1. Regardless, it's a pleasure to welcome little Udac into my home.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #38 of 48
I do not yet have the amps that I'd like to use for comparison, but I will offer a bite-sized morsel of an observation for now.

The UDAC is quiet. I mean it is dead quiet. One of the things I've always liked about HR DACs is that they seem to be "black between the notes." Well, this one is by far the "blackest" (i.e., none more black) that I have heard from HR, and it is superior to the ECD-1 in this regard by a considerable margin. Notes start and stop with precision, which enhances the sense of speed and agility that seems to define the UDAC. That's all for now.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #39 of 48
i knew you were going to enjoy it. I really really enjoyed it in LA.

IN fact, i had it for about 2 days =) sooooo many people were impressed with it.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #40 of 48
i have the HR Ultra Desktop Amp with built-in ultra dac and it's also dead silent and rocks something incredible. certainly the best amp i've owned. my orginal max amp is now retired.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #41 of 48
I got the ultra micro stack for some time and i must say that it's amazing.
high-end sound without taking any space on my desk.

when i first bought my ultra micro amp (without the dac) i was in dillema if i should take the regular micro instead...but a few minutes of thinking and impressions from headroom's site made me choose the better ultra micro.

with the dac i didn't have this problem...i went straight for the ultra version.
my opinion is to get the ultra edition and not compromise. go for the extra detail,extra resolution. and get the astrodynes too..they are great.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ooops..don't mind my last post..wrong thread. (i will copy it to the "micro vs ultra micro" where it supposed to be)

I read that post in its rightful location just a while back. When I read it here, I thought I was experiencing deja vu.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #45 of 48
sorry i meant to say max dac. the max dac is extremely quiet and is extremely nice too. i have mine connected via usb to the computer. some day i'd like to try the ultra dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back