Ultra Desktop DAC
Mar 21, 2009 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

jonjungel

New Head-Fier
I couldn't find another thread discussing this new product.

At a glance this looks like it will have some exceptional performance. It seems to me that the DAC chip from ESS raises the bar on distortion performance. And does so at a very low power consumption. The white-paper on their site was interesting reading.

Here's to hoping that the Ultra Desktop will get out all the performance potential
beerchug.gif

I'm really looking forward to some measurements on this one. I was considering the DAC3 from Bel Canto, but if this one keeps its promises at half the price, I might change my mind
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 48
In the pictures for the Ultra Desktop DAC, I couldn't help but notice a little something called the "Headroom Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp" as well. Verrrrry Eeeeenteresting.

Mar 21, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 48
What the heck is going on here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonjungel
It seems to me that the DAC chip from ESS raises the bar on distortion performance. And does so at a very low power consumption. The white-paper on their site was interesting reading.

Man, you ought to read the patent. That's the most off the hook dac I've ever read about.

I'm not sure when/if we'll be publishing measurements; I'll look into that a bit for you. I do know that when I saw the measurements of the prototype the distortion and noise measurements were astonishingly low.

I can tell you I'm digging what's on my desk.

483183027_ybsBV-L.jpg

It's very natural sounding to me.

Mar 21, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkozlows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will you be posting pictures of the insides soon? Call me crazy, but those are my favorite pictures.

Yeah, mine too!
Kevin

Mar 21, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure when/if we'll be publishing measurements; I'll look into that a bit for you. I do know that when I saw the measurements of the prototype the distortion and noise measurements were astonishingly low.

I didn't necessarily mean that you should post measurements, though that would be great ofcourse. I was thinking more of reviews with measurements, like they do at stereophile or soundstage.

I guess what I meant was that I can't wait to see a thorough review.
smile.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 48
I am not a technical person so I apologize if my question is well ... silly. How about upsampling or oversampling? I mean if my transport or pc puts out 16/44 will the Ultra Desktop DAC be able to upsample or oversample? Thanks.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkozlows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will you be posting pictures of the insides soon? Call me crazy, but those are my favorite pictures.

They'll come along sometime relatively soon; the pictures shown are of the prototypes and the boards have a few jumpers on them. Production boards are due in shortly, and we'll photo them as soon as we can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonjungel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't necessarily mean that you should post measurements, though that would be great ofcourse. I was thinking more of reviews with measurements, like they do at stereophile or soundstage.

I guess what I meant was that I can't wait to see a thorough review.
smile.gif

Me neither. That will take quite a while though. It's sometime a year between the time we send Stereophile gear and when a review comes out. And sometimes, of course, we don't even get a review. SoundStage is a bit quicker as they don't have to buy paper and wait for a press and mail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about upsampling or oversampling? I mean if my transport or pc puts out 16/44 will the Ultra Desktop DAC be able to upsample or oversample? Thanks.

Oh the ESS DAC is an up/over sampling beast. It's also amazingly complex and I have to admit it's somewhat over my head what's going on inside that chip. That's, at least in part, due to the fact that ESS doesn't want people to really know what they're doing in there. It's quite unusual.

Here's the spec sheet.
Here's a more in depth description of the part ... good luck understanding it.
And here's the patent for the internal digital signal upsampling/processing patent ... not a chance of understanding it unless you're a cryptographer/DSPengineer.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 48
This looks interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

Tyll Hertsens: Can you compare SQ on USB vs the other inputs?

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 48
C'mon Headroom, you now have to release a complimentary Transport for this Dac, otherwise all is lost.

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
C'mon Headroom, you now have to release a complimentary Transport for this Dac, otherwise all is lost.

Transport? What's that? Those silver discs are just to transport music to a computer right?

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And here's the patent for the internal digital signal upsampling/processing patent ... not a chance of understanding it unless you're a cryptographer/DSPengineer.

Did someone say DSP-engineer with a hobby study in cryptography?
icon10.gif

Tried it - the patent is really cool but much of it is just written in a very confusing way
confused_face(1).gif
Something along the lines of using DSP to suppress the noise and such introduced by the specific process used which all in all total a very sweet DAC. I'll check back in 2 years when I'm done with all my DSP and audio courses and tell you the details
popcorn.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #15 of 48
price is pretty good falling in the low end of the upper echelon of DACs. hopefully specs come up soon along with some impressions. Wonder how it stacks up to the BDA-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back