ultimate shoe shine
Jan 29, 2002 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ai0tron

Banned
I just gave my shoes the ultimate shine. Anyone else out there obsessed with glossy leather? I have a problem though, and I wouldn't normally post it here but for some reason I can only access head-fi and google right now. (none of the links from google work) sometimes yahoo works but only for a minute. My question is, if a shoe starts to deform in the toe area causing it to be difficult to shine can you get the shoe reformed somehow?? And barring that does anyone know of a shoe company that makes nice glossy dress boots? I was told I should wear my shoes in a rotation of 3 or 4 other pairs to increase their life expectancy. This seems like fun.

Jan 29, 2002 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 19
no idea. only got a pair of worn out adidas's. they fit, well, like an old shoe
wink.gif

that don't help, does it?

Jan 29, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
...And barring that does anyone know of a shoe company that makes nice glossy dress boots?

How About the USMC
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 19
they told me at the walking company to rotate between two or three pairs of shoes, because the sweat from your feet breaks them down. then they kicked me out.

Jan 29, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 19
Military dress shoes are not the most ergo. Once moisture breaks the leather down, there's nothing you can do about it. Spit shine with Kiwi for the ultimate mirror gloss with a soft depthness. As for me, I haven't polished nuth'in since ETS.

Jan 29, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 19
Stuff a sock or tissue paper into the toe, forcing the leather taut for when you shine it. Remove stuffing from shoe before inserting feet. Replace shoes when stuffing tip doesn't work.

Jan 29, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 19
Replace!!?? AHHH. Man, theres gotta be something you can do, steam em maybe, bake em, put em in the oven for baby and me. These are the best shoes I ever owned, replacing them would be like, like...

By the way, I just put in aphex twins new album for the first time, man this guy is on his 'A' game.

Jan 29, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 19
Hmmm...avoid the Kenneth Cole Reaction line if you want the shoes to last more than three months. I'm not sure they're real leather either. Coach shoes have served me well - quality leather and soles. Shiny.

Don't know what to do with the deformed toe, though.

Jan 29, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 19
I can't believe I'm getting sucked into a leather discussion on Head-Fi
wink.gif
Oh, well, with such a discriminating group of people as we have here, I tend to trust recommendations more than many other sources...

My "leather" question. I have a new leather jacket. The leather is the soft, supple kind (not the biker/motorcycle type). I'm trying to figure out the best way to protect it from water stains and other spills/dirt. Any suggestions?

Jan 30, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #12 of 19
hmmm...jacket. Don't make the mistake I made and try to mink oil the thing yourself. Mine got blotches and weathered unevenly in places. It's a professional job, though often expensive. I did mink oil my shoes, however, with good results. Hypothesis (to keep this on topic): Headphones sound better when accentuated by the smell of new leather.

Jan 30, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #13 of 19
For polishing shoes I use Lincoln, and virtually nothing else. To make sure it gets into creases, I heat it up.

For cleaning/conditioning almost anything leather, I use Apple Leather Care almost exclusively. I usually keep a few bottles of it handy. This past weekend I Apple'd an entire couch. Ever since I started using it, I find my leathergoods wear better, last longer, have a better hand, and look better. I even use it to clean/condition my leather shoes before polishing.

I sometimes use mink oil, but find it can soften certain leathers too much. Some leather you don't want too soft. I also sometimes use neatsfoot oil.

I have no specific recommendations about how to deal with the already-deformed toe of that one shoe.

Jan 30, 2002 at 2:23 AM Post #14 of 19
If you want to fix that toe deformation problem, try rotating your shoes between your feet. That is, wear your left shoe on your right foot and vice versa. Now some folks say that it'll be uncomfortable, but they probably haven't tried it themselves. I would recommend a double blind A/B test with Schubert's Fantasie in F minor and a glass of sherry. I am also full of ****. Heh heh.

Jan 30, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
...then they kicked me out...

I think you have your answer right there. Try kicking someone's ass.

j/k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back