Ultimate Set-Up
Nov 1, 2007 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Sulph3r630

New Head-Fier
So I'm playing most of my music through iTunes at the moment and I'm wondering what kind of upgrades I can do to really make my audio experience the best that it can be.

I currently have Sennheiser HD595 headphones and I'm getting the Corda Arietta amplifier delivered soon enough. What else can I add to my set-up to really make my music stand out and sound as close to a CD recording as possible?

If I add a DAC and high-end cables will the sound quality improve? If I do upgrade those components will an external CD Player be an unnecessary addition to the set-up? Should I be looking into anything else for improvement? Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,
Noob 500,00+

Nov 1, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sulph3r630 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm playing most of my music through iTunes at the moment and I'm wondering what kind of upgrades I can do to really make my audio experience the best that it can be.

first step: dont use iTune, use foobar2000 with ASIO plugin, read this http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ght=asio+guide

Quote:

I currently have Sennheiser HD595 headphones and I'm getting the Corda Arietta amplifier delivered soon enough. What else can I add to my set-up to really make my music stand out and sound as close to a CD recording as possible?

first you should tell us what soundcard you have. most cases adding an external dac such as these (http://www.homehifi.co.uk/main/main.html) will do the trick. and secondly i would have recommended a different amp, especially for your HD595, Little Dot MKIII and HD595 makes a great match. (http://www.little-tube.com/forum/for...osts=1&start=1)

Quote:

If I add a DAC and high-end cables will the sound quality improve?

if it doesn't that would be a great waste of money wouldnt it
wink.gif

Quote:

If I do upgrade those components will an external CD Player be an unnecessary addition to the set-up?

it will not be necessary. computer is a great source, but you could if you wish.

hope that helps.

Nov 1, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 13
Nov 1, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did he state that he's using MS Windows?
wink.gif

uhhhh... damn
tongue.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 13
I have the 595s as well and I am getting a LittleDot MKIII along with a Bereshford TC7510 DAC. According to an extensive review done here it's a great setup for the 595s.

Also, do use Foobar.. I have been using winamp for years and with Foobar and the new phones, it sounds much better. There's custom UI plugins you can get to make it a bit prettier/easier to use.

Nov 1, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for that info arterius2. I've been hearing a lot about this LittleDot MKIII / Beresford TC7510 DAC combination and all the positive referrals are sparking my interest.

At the moment I just have the stock soundcard that came with my computer: an Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller, So I think an external DAC would really help.

If you guys know of anywhere else I can improve the sound, or if you have a different/unique setup of your own I would like to hear it. I appreciate your thoughts on this guys.

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #7 of 13
Since using the onboard sound probably won't allow you to run ASIO, get the Kernel Streaming plugin for foobar or winamp, whatever.

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 13
Sorry if this is hijacking the thread... Maybe the OP will find the answer to my qeustion useful.

I'm wondering that if crappy onboard audio is used to connect a DAC via the coax/optical out, will the sound from the DAC be influenced by the crappiness of the onboard audio?

Nov 2, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #9 of 13
In general...

On the software side, the better the recording (higher bitrates or lossless audio) the better the sound. Get or make the best digital copy you can.

Also, if you want to use equalizer or make changes to the sound, its best to do it in the digital realm.

Hardware...

First: 0s and 1s in your digital file (mp3/oog/wav/etc) needs to be translated to analog signals with a Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC).
Second: The analog signal then sent to a preamp/headphone amp to adjust for volume.
Third: The analog signal is reproduced into sound through your headphones.

Soundcards have DACs and preamps built into them. The "headphone out" analog signal has been adjusted for volume already. You can also get a unadjusted analog signal through the "line out" straight from the DAC. You would plug in your Corda Arietta to the "line out".

There are some excellent soundcards with very good DACs and headphone amps. But, the bad electrical environment inside a computer deteriorates the sound card. The ideal solution is to move the DAC and amp components out of the computer and electrically isolate it from the computer.

In order of importance on final sound quality for a computer setup (assuming the components are not absolute crap):
1. Quality of recording
2. Headphones
3. DAC
4. Amp
5. Soundcard/computer digital output
6. Interconnect Cables (IC) - analog
6. IC - digital
6. Power Cables

Since you already have headphones, amp, and tunes on your computer, the next best improvement is the DAC.

Lots of these around, do a search. 2 basic ways to move data from the computer to the DAC. Optical/Coax connections through a soundcard/on-board audio or USB. USB DACs are getting more popular but there are more choices in traditional DACs. USB also gets into latency issues, CPU overhead, etc.

Going Optical/Coax, ideally you want move data without error and timed correctly. Bad timing is responsible for jitter. A dedicated "bit-perfect" sound card will do this well. The optical out of the back of the computer is pretty decent too if all it does is move the data. In general, sound cards inject less jitter than on-board audio.

The last bit of hardware is interconnects and power cords. YMMV. Give them a try when the major bits of hardware are in place.

A CD player or CD transport is useful if you just want to play a CD and not bother turning on the computer. The transport's main purchase is to read the data off the disc and move it to the DAC with as little jitter and error as possible. Data error is rarely an issue these days. A cheapo DVD player can act as your CD transport for a start.

In effect, your computer is a realy big transport.

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #11 of 13
wow, thanks for the info mikeliao. really quite helpful. Now I have to decide if I just want to upgrade my soundcard, or invest in the external DAC. Probably going to go with the Beresford TC7510 DAC, but if I go through with that decision, will I also need to upgrade my soundcard to minimize the "jitters"?

Nov 2, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too long. Didn't read.

Just get the HeadRoom Balanced Max with the DAC option and get out of here.

TLDR, seriously? mikeliao's comment wasn't exactly "War and Peace", and it was good advice.

If you want a high end DAC, and you want to spend less than $4,500 on it, Benchmark DAC1, either with or without USB is a far better deal. Save yourself up to $3,500 from that suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back